HWBOT Community Forums

Windows XP on ASUS Z390 Motherboards (and others)

Hello everyone, could you please give me some basic instructions on how to "port" existing Windows XP 32bit installation to newer hardware (I am choosing hardware for the upgrade yet, but I guess I'll take something on Z390 or Z490)? My existing install uses Z77 chipset (Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard) with Intel Sandy Bridge i5 2500K CPU (native ahci driver from Intel)

• 5 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, FireKillerGR said:

Ok so here you can find the .iso that works for Z390:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x_NIfXf4RTSZnxOImpHkus1JRe_JW7Wi

You install this normally with PS/2 keyboard.
You can use asmedia drivers later to get usb ports to work.

Both usb (firadisk obviously as usb ports wont work right away) and dvd installation works and its confirmed by 3 people already.

Updating initial post with info so you can apply on your own setup.

i tried doing this on an asus maximus xi hero, installer wouldnt work when running the exe directly or though booting, used rufus for imaging the iso to a usb

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am trying to install Windows XP 64-bit on on an ASUS X299 WS PRO/SE board with a 10980XE CPU. I have at it for days (lost count now) and have not been able to do so. I have a standard SSD drive connected to one of the SATA ports and I get as far as below...unknown.png

I would very much appreciate if someone can help me get this working as I am tearing my hair out as the other alternative is buying an EVGA X299 Dark which has XP support out of the box.

Thanks all

??

• 1 month later...

alright, so im running a rog maximus xi hero, and have been trying many different things in this thread to install xp. Of note, im attempting the install onto a hard drive, from a usb emulated as a hard drive from bios. every time i load into the installer, i choose to integrate a driver. I have a floppy drive set up, with all the files from the AHCI update and z390 files download. When I go to choose a driver, there are very many between raid and sata, added by fernando and not. In all of the cases tried though, all result in an inaccessable boot device error, or the 0x07 one or something after setup tries to start windows, or what if i remember correctly is the second phase of the install. ive tried reading through the rest of this page and didn't really understand most of it, so if anyone wants to give it a shot my mobo is all for experimenting right now.

edit: processor is i5-9600k just in case that matters

Edited by Twice Da Ice
add info

• 2 months later...