Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums
ADVenturePO

Is Enthusiast League still any fun?

Recommended Posts

I only recently made the move to extreme, I still do the majority of my benching on chilled or lesser forms of cooling.

I too have ran into trying to beat the guy above me with higher clocks but just coudn't get around them - And then after trying different tweaks found that one thing I was lacking and finally beat the result they had.

Kinda reminds me of the comp I was in way back in Aug 2011 over at OCA when that place was kicking hard.

Although at first I was a real longshot to be competitive vs the others involved, much less in having a chance at the win I didn't let that deter me and in the end wound up going head-to-head with Sofos for the top spot. He won and I came in right behind in 2nd. 
Sofos said I really pushed him for that win (He was just being nice - I know he could have cold-smoked my ass TBH) but the compliment was appreciated and drove me to do even more - So I did.

In that single month I learned more about Super PI than I had ever known before and what was gained then still serves me well. Just shows if you really put in the effort you can come away with results worth going after, plus the knowledge of how it's done you can use later.

You get from it what you put into it.

That's history now but I still use what was gained, I earned it so I use it.

Cooling methods don't always equal great results, I've actually beaten one or two on LN2 using watercooling before - Ridiculous yet it happened.
So.... I guess those guys just sucked right?

I'll let you guys decide that for yourselves but in my case I'm always tweaking and applying what I've learned regardless of cooling used.

And if I happen to do a sucky run that will show too and I can certainly do those - Also regardless of cooling.

Keep it fun or it's not worth doing as a hobby or just at all period.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% ^^^^^^

 

I have benched alot of different things since I started here. The most fun and most points I have gotten have been out of 3D so far. I'm just now getting into the popular 2D core count chips. Might be something to consider for you in the future.

Don't worry about those that bench with LN2........just bench what you like and have fun with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, avalanche said:

Pal why link me? Real life & fucken hard work has me away from my loved Warp9 team & overclocking. So more focus

You are not typical demographic Enthusiast overclocker. Your hardware is not typical store bought parts. Server cpu cannot be bought.

OR I'd try whoop ya ass with it.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3542488_adventurepo_cinebench___r15_xeon_e5_2679_v4_3347_cb

 https://hwbot.org/submission/3542470_adventurepo_wprime___1024m_xeon_e5_2679_v4_40sec_716ms

Tell me where to buy corporate processors. :| Cant find these things turbo all cores. NOT Retail

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/corporation.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please not refer to yourself as enthusiast overclocker. You buy expensive parts " pay to win " OR benefit in a pc shop.

Maybe your boss bangs the secretary. While you bench x4 2080ti's for scores. Ha you other enthusiasts have that arsenal

Who buys 3960x threadripper doing 100 global point scores " that part was OK " then expects 3970x will do the same? o.O 

Called the HWbotty points cliff. I mean come on over $5000AU to do enthusiasts scores. LN2 has smashed it to bits straight away.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is only one guy that needed a good slap for cheating his cooling. PKBO that was done. Please don't refer to enthusiast as ice bucket cheats.

As to the reference later on volts & heat Adventure POo. That is pain & effort for your hobby. Winter time I sit here -5c doing it.

To become 1# enthusiast required a complete weekend of doing score for 80 points. Effort is reward all things in life. :) 

Oh. I new you'd be freakin hard in this discussion.
1. Server CPUs can't be bought? Allegro(.)pl , ebay(.)com - no problem ;)
2. I'm a boss. I'm a one man company. I'm making project of workstations. Those are fully mine. (don't have a secretary though :( )
3. My friends have easy access to cards, CPUs and other stuff, although they're not competing, while they could. 
4. Well, tell me your cooling setup is also a standard enthusiast cooling type :) 
5. For me, here in Poland, it's more likely to have a new hardware, than good old hardware to bench. ex: GTX 570, 580, 690- bought them to overclock, cleaned it, changed pastes, changed BIOS - shitty scores. 

6. I have also a lot of  hardware to make repairs as people are turning to me because I'm known in arch-viz. 
7. Well, my family would not accept -5C in the kitchen, ahahaha.

But thank you for you insights and Congrats about 1st place! (You're just pissing me off there :)  really hard )

Cheers. 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Bones.

Its only fun if your goals fit your approach.

I've been playing in AM3 (cold friendly)  posted more than a few 0.2 pointers just because I felt good about them and that is all that matters.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ADVenturePO said:

1. No. Elite vs Everyone Else will do no good - there are Extreme OCers with LN2/LHe abilities - this will just prefer them, despite using same cooling as Elite.
2. I've stated before: In the YT era it might be a good practice to fully enforce video proof. Might be non-public.
3. Using Benchmate?
4. I'm not extreme - is there a difference with -90 deg. C on Dry Ice and -90 deg. C on LN2? I truly don't know. Explain please. @speed.fastest

1. There is still no solution other than that.

2. Some cooling cheater even provide Video proof, thats not enough.

3. I hope so, i like there is Enthusiast League too, but too many but, need more solution to fix it.

4. There is no DICE that did -90 celcius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
12 hours ago, ADVenturePO said:

0. Oh. I new you'd be freakin hard in this discussion.
1. Server CPUs can't be bought? Allegro(.)pl , ebay(.)com - no problem ;)
2. I'm a boss. I'm a one man company. I'm making project of workstations. Those are fully mine. (don't have a secretary though :( )
3. My friends have easy access to cards, CPUs and other stuff, although they're not competing, while they could. 
4. Well, tell me your cooling setup is also a standard enthusiast cooling type :) 
5. For me, here in Poland, it's more likely to have a new hardware, than good old hardware to bench. ex: GTX 570, 580, 690- bought them to overclock, cleaned it, changed pastes, changed BIOS - shitty scores. 

6. I have also a lot of  hardware to make repairs as people are turning to me because I'm known in arch-viz. 
7. Well, my family would not accept -5C in the kitchen, ahahaha.

8. But thank you for you insights and Congrats about 1st place! (You're just pissing me off there :)  really hard )

Cheers. 

0. I have not started on you champ  so close to xmas you'd feel my steel capped boot in your clakka

1. Who are you racing exactly? Other enthusiasts are not buying expensive server parts. Nothing to compare with there if fast

2. So by your admission super clocker you are elite sponsored. Get your parts wholesale then fob the junk into customers computers.

Thought so. Professional seller, boss man and all that. Why are you playing enthusiast? With hardware out of cost/ reach of others? 

3. Send it to Australia us guys need a break from paying retail  

4. Morrads. But maybe I should include a under bench fish tank chiller "humor" like PKBO because that fukka is not banned out of here

5. Act as spoilt brat bra nothing but the best for you.

6. Not famous anywhere I've seen. Oh wait! Look at that extremes 114 global points this must be a demigod 

https://hwbot.org/submission/4308341_adventurepo_hwbot_x265_benchmark___4k_ryzen_threadripper_3960x_45.18_fps

7. Weakling. Kids these days just want easy. " insert roll eyes "

tenor.gif

8. Come get some. All you have silly ego on inflated volatile glow balls. Fact any enthusiast front page #20 can wipe the floor with you. You have no cred.

2 hours ago, speed.fastest said:

2. Some cooling cheater even provide Video proof, thats not enough.

Dude you found that in the video. :) I CBF to watch all. It should be enough do your best but be honest on your efforts.

Very silly comments. 500 hours 1.7-1.8v benching watercooled no degradation

12 hours ago, Aleslammer said:

I'm with Bones.

Its only fun if your goals fit your approach.

I've been playing in AM3 (cold friendly)  posted more than a few 0.2 pointers just because I felt good about them and that is all that matters.

Exactly. It's never been about the size of points. It's finding a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know if you will understand what I wrote on-line translator.

 If you don't want to invest in extreme cooling. Then choose another League in which you will rise high, Yes it's time, it's money.  I have long spat on all sorts of races . I'm only interested in the Hardware Masters League . And a little bit to maintain the seasonal rating. And what kind of iron to climb up in the League Hardware Masters is the choice of each his own.

 

Maybe when I'm 80 years old and have nothing to do, I'll take and surpass all the available iron using LN2 for a couple of years. In the meantime, I'm fine with water cooling.

Edited by alexmaj467
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, alexmaj467 said:

I do not know if you will understand what I wrote on-line translator.

 If you don't want to invest in extreme cooling. Then choose another League in which you will rise high, Yes it's time, it's money.  I have long spat on all sorts of races . I'm only interested in the Hardware Masters League . And a little bit to maintain the seasonal rating. And what kind of iron to climb up in the League Hardware Masters is the choice of each his own.

 

Maybe when I'm 80 years old and have nothing to do, I'll take and surpass all the available iron using LN2 for a couple of years. In the meantime, I'm fine with water cooling.

You did fine Alex.

Big fan of your work BTW. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, macsbeach98 said:

Gee I dont know weather I will still be watching Jane Nash running along the Gantry when I am 80.:)

🤣 pete, most of us will be pushin up daisies by then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PKBO said:

Stop trolling me avalanche. 

You wouldn't be bothered enough to answer if there wasn't maybe a bit of truth involved. 

Just sayin......

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 12/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, suzuki said:

As for those type of people who buy some nice shining hardware and they are not pleased for the 2 points they are getting, this hobby is not for them.

Look at nachtfalke,poparamiro, vadimua, infrared and others which can be good in any league you put them, and most important they enjoy what they are doing. A great overclocker is the one who enjoys what he is doing, no matter the points and through this, obtains good results in his conditions.

You are a gentleman suzuki :) I have always liked your general writing.

poparamiro what a hero of an overclocker that guy is. I still see his volt modded gup's everywhere + his scores are right up the top in that benchmark.

Enthusiast league, these overclockers cannot get far with ambient and processors on 5GHZ. That's not expecting big points from good scores.

This latest HWbot revision, if a gpu or cpu has been done with LN2 then your never going to get good points that's a given. I'd be happy for 10

__________

So what's left then? Apprentice you can make 30 point scores with processor 6Ghz. OR extreme much bigger points 7Ghz ... 100 or more points.

A score will still be big even if you do not have good overclocking experience. BUT a more skillful guy on settings can still get past you.

That's what I would consider in the future :D plastic dip a motherboard & find someone to build a cascade unit. It's the next step up.

As Splave would say make your scores look alright xD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being sponsored doesn't matter if others are willing to spend a lot of time.and money.

What a out those who can't afford to buy the latest CPUs, maybe there should be another league just for older/cheaper hw?

This is a discussion which has been had before, when I joined there were 3 leagues, elite, extreme and enthusiast. As soon as you tried subzero you were up against LN2, didn't stop me because I found it fun. I'd you're not finding it fun, take a step back and see how you could change things to enjoy it more.

If points are all you care about, then it's time to go cold :)

Edited by GeorgeStorm
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GeorgeStorm said:

 

His is a discussion which has been had before, when I joined there were 3 leagues, elite, extreme and enthusiast. As soon as you tried subzero you were up against LN2, didn't stop me because I found it fun. I'd you're not finding it fun, take a step back and see how you could change things to enjoy it more.

If points are all you care about, then it's time to go cold :)

Exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeorgeStorm said:

Being sponsored doesn't matter if others are willing to spend a lot of time.and money.

What a out those who can't afford to buy the latest CPUs, maybe there should be another league just for older/cheaper hw?

This is a discussion which has been had before, when I joined there were 3 leagues, elite, extreme and enthusiast. As soon as you tried subzero you were up against LN2, didn't stop me because I found it fun. I'd you're not finding it fun, take a step back and see how you could change things to enjoy it more.

If points are all you care about, then it's time to go cold :)

When I joined there was no such thing as cooling categories. It should have stayed that way.

Liquid on the rocks any one? I prefer whiskey.... but hey who's chilling that cold anyways. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

One bad apple spoils the bunch.

Guys like Nata58 + 99% of the other members do it right. Lets not turn this into all enthusiasts are ice bucket cheats OK. Really hate that term :|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, macsbeach98 said:

Gee I dont know weather I will still be watching Jane Nash running along the Gantry when I am 80.:)

Really worth to see untweaked time to time for me ! Awesome graphics ! :D

@TerraRaptor "recent results of suzuki with 4790k prove that easily " Man ! Seen them million times ! :)

If I would be even close I knew I did it real good ! :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel for where you are coming from 🙂

I  Would love a total break down of the Cooling Categories. I know it would be impractical but 🙂 the best score for the fastest SuperPi using a - i7-8700k on AIR, AIO, Custom Water, Chilled Water,  Ect, Ect. You will always have the .01% that has to WIN no matter what.

I got bumped to the Extreme League because I got a chance to Bench with LN2 AND submitted the scores. I bench 99.5% with Custom Water and may pull out the the Dice for that .5%. I know I will NEVER get those scores again with this setup - OH WELL. I do this to have fun and chat with some great guys.

My Wife's family has a nice saying : If you LOVE your JOB - You will never WORK a Day 🙂

P.S. The above statements are my own and do not reflect the views of my Team or Their Web Site.

Thank You For Your Time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MaddMutt said:

I feel for where you are coming from 🙂

I  Would love a total break down of the Cooling Categories. I know it would be impractical but 🙂 the best score for the fastest SuperPi using a - i7-8700k on AIR, AIO, Custom Water, Chilled Water,  Ect, Ect. You will always have the .01% that has to WIN no matter what.

I got bumped to the Extreme League because I got a chance to Bench with LN2 AND submitted the scores. I bench 99.5% with Custom Water and may pull out the the Dice for that .5%. I know I will NEVER get those scores again with this setup - OH WELL. I do this to have fun and chat with some great guys.

My Wife's family has a nice saying : If you LOVE your JOB - You will never WORK a Day 🙂

P.S. The above statements are my own and do not reflect the views of my Team or Their Web Site.

Thank You For Your Time.

 

Just as a side note you can view those quite easily :)

image.thumb.png.40d001af814c59193fd56d8159493fdb.png

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...