HWBOT Community Forums

HWBot Team Cup design thread 2020

Leeghoofd

1 hour ago, yosarianilives said:

Maybe bump it down to 1080p? That should take long enough on k8 1c plus it won't need as much ram

Patience is very important in our life...!

Its good to have a time consuming bench with the danger of not completed just before the end!

Edited by Obijuan83

1 hour ago, ObscureParadox said:

controversial one this I'm sure, but I always see Core 2 Quads benched on P45, why not limit it to X38 and X48 so that the quad cores finally get to see some action on the big boy platforms since that's a lot more challenging to do. (exclude the Core 2 Extreme though)

Indeed that is controversial, I'd take dual core on non asus x48 over non p45 quads and I don't even bench s775 much at all

• Crew
21 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

Would be cool to see a tahiti core or gcn 1 cores only stage. I loved OC on that arch, was more straightforward than it has become.

1st gen GCN has had a fair bit of love in the past, why not 2nd or 3rd gen this time around?

Something like Unigine Heaven would be good to see imo

• Crew
21 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

3rd gen would be good if we're going for less popular. 2nd gen has almost as many stages as 1st gen imho

I don't recall a stage that required 2nd gen to be used but would be nice for Tonga and Antigua to get some love.

My idea is to move away from the abstract and focus on the concrete. Example 1. Any test, but only Athlon FX (55, 57) performed by 939 or Penitum Extreme Edition on socket 478. The same with video cards such as 3Dmark 2006 or Vantage on 8800 Ultra & etc. And the second one, one result from the team, not two or three as it was before, as there are few small teams that are physically unable to find 2 or 3 identical stands.

• Crew
1 hour ago, max1024 said:

My idea is to move away from the abstract and focus on the concrete. Example 1. Any test, but only Athlon FX (55, 57) performed by 939 or Penitum Extreme Edition on socket 478. The same with video cards such as 3Dmark 2006 or Vantage on 8800 Ultra & etc. And the second one, one result from the team, not two or three as it was before, as there are few small teams that are physically unable to find 2 or 3 identical stands.

FX athlons are expensive and rare to find these days. If we go only with one score I would have to up the amount of stages drastically

• Like 3

I think instead of ddr1-2-3-4 mem freq since people seem to have some issue with repeating this stage (imho it sounds lovely and would love to see it for like a 3rd or 4th time, it's a classic/staple for tc) we could do a stage of sdr-rdr-fbdimm max frequency. Only downside I see is that for some sdr and rdr are too legacy for tc or something like that.

• Thanks 1

Other stages that could be interesting I think:

ddr3 - x265 1080p single core per socket (might not have enough sockets viable on ddr3, but off the top of my head I can think of 1155, am3, 771, 775, socket p, bga 956)

ddr2 - 3dmark03 motherboard igp 

ddr1 - agp stage

Someone mentioned a laptop stage during CC and was told wait for TC so if people aren't opposed then laptop stage?

ddr2 - superpi 32m amd phenom and athlon x2 cpus (No Phenom II, no Athlon II)

ddr2 - am2 gpupi 100m

• Like 2

Just now, yosarianilives said:

Other stages that could be interesting I think:

ddr3 - x265 1080p single core per socket (might not have enough sockets viable on ddr3, but off the top of my head I can think of 1155, am3, 771, 775, socket p, bga 956)

ddr2 - 3dmark03 motherboard igp 

ddr1 - agp stage

Someone mentioned a laptop stage during CC and was told wait for TC so if people aren't opposed then laptop stage?

ddr2 - superpi 32m amd phenom and athlon x2 cpus (No Phenom II, no Athlon II)

ddr2 - am2 gpupi 100m

I love that ddr3 stage for some reason. 

• Like 1

Suggestions from the Cheapaz thread that I think could make sense for team cup:

s775 pentium 4 would make sense as a DDR2 stage.  IMO there's no need to specify socket, just arch - if someone wants to use one of the 478 DDR2 boards with a 915 chipset, good luck to them.  I'd like to suggest HWBOT x265 1080p - it should be sub-20 minutes (shorter than superpi 32M and wprime 1024M on this platform), and while it's beneficial to get the right CPU and OS setup it'll run on anything.  It hasn't been benched as extensively as other things on the platform, so there's less chance someone can just load up their old settings to run the stage, but this also means less points for a strong score which is a negative and it's harder to know if your score is good which could be seen as either good or bad.

478+AGP and AMD+AGP 3D sound fun, I'd like to suggest something that's more CPU-heavy on the fastest cards - maybe 01 or aquamark, or perhaps 05...?  I don't really know much about 05 other than it's more CPU heavy than 03.  Much as I'd like to increase the market value of my 2600XT, 3850 and 4650 DDR2 AGP cards, I think it would be better if teams that don't get hold of top cards aren't completely screwed and teams that do aren't automatically doing well.

The AMD option would be a very interesting DDR1 stage because it'd force a non-optimal motherboard for the socket and reward the collectors who already have and know a good 939 AGP board (to be clear: I am not among them, I'm thinking of warp9 guys).  It looks like last year there was a 478+AGP stage (3DMark99 Max), so AMD DDR1 + AGP is a good idea.

• Like 2