HWBOT Community Forums

HWBot Cheapaz Chips 2020 Design Thread

Leeghoofd

8 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Not sure what used market you're looking at but in the UK "buy it now" listings for the GTX 950 start at nearly £80, Caicos core cards can be had for £10.  950s also seem to typically have the QFN package controllers that aren't suitable for someone's first time modding.  As far as global availability, looking on amazon.in there's one model of GTX 950 available for a single third-party seller for the equivalent of $320 US.  I honestly think the 950 falls down on every one of the critera @zeropluszero set out.

On the plus side: it can run Dx12 benches and GPUPI.  Oh and I guess it's easier to mount a tek9 to it.

Don't know why you're casting around for other hardware options when Caicos is right there to be honest.

Caicos is essentially a rehash of last year. It's basically just cedar core 2.0. I think we should do a new arch. If small maxwell is out then we should look at a small gcn or small fermi. We honestly could even do tesla or small kepler but I honestly have no idea of global availability of them.

Just now, yosarianilives said:

Caicos is essentially a rehash of last year. It's basically just cedar core 2.0. I think we should do a new arch. If small maxwell is out then we should look at a small gcn or small fermi. We honestly could even do tesla or small kepler but I honestly have no idea of global availability of them.

Tesla's a good idea, the Geforce 210 seems pretty good for availability.  And is actually CHEAP.

Just now, mickulty said:

Tesla's a good idea, the Geforce 210 seems pretty good for availability.  And is actually CHEAP.

210 was in the og cheapaz apparently but it is long enough ago I think we can revisit the arch. Tbh they're all cheap enough we could do something like gtx 280 or 285 so there's at least a few frames in the benches?

For the other arches that I mentioned I think gtx 660 (kepler), 750ti (maxwell), Cape Verde + Oland (gcn1), bonair (gcn2) are all viable options if we picked any of those arches. But again I only know prices in the US where those can generally be had under $50. I think tesla is great for modding and honestly would fit the spirit of the comp best but the newer arches that can get a few more frames may not be as painful to bench and can run slightly newer benches without a slideshow.

19 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Not sure what used market you're looking at but in the UK "buy it now" listings for the GTX 950 start at nearly £80, Caicos core cards can be had for £10.  950s also seem to typically have the QFN package controllers that aren't suitable for someone's first time modding.  As far as global availability, looking on amazon.in there's one model of GTX 950 available for a single third-party seller for the equivalent of $320 US.  I honestly think the 950 falls down on every one of the critera @zeropluszero set out.

On the plus side: it can run Dx12 benches and GPUPI.  Oh and I guess it's easier to mount a tek9 to it.

Don't know why you're casting around for other hardware options when Caicos is right there to be honest.

People asked for suggestions, so I made my suggestion.

I stated US in my post, so thought that showed what market I checked. To be specific I just went on ebay and looked at the sold listings for gtx 950.

Doing the same for ebay uk shows several 950 sold for 40-50gbp. Checking amazon uk 3000G is 44gbp, so unsure why you bring up the issue of price?

I wasn't sure about price/availability in other markets that is why I asked when I made the suggestion.

6 minutes ago, bigblock990 said:

People asked for suggestions, so I made my suggestion.

I stated US in my post, so thought that showed what market I checked. To be specific I just went on ebay and looked at the sold listings for gtx 950.

Doing the same for ebay uk shows several 950 sold for 40-50gbp. Checking amazon uk 3000G is 44gbp, so unsure why you bring up the issue of price?

I wasn't sure about price/availability in other markets that is why I asked when I made the suggestion.

How do you relate this to Caicos core cards?

Mini cards suck for noobs, too hard to mount. Also cards that pull all power from the pci-e slot alone can be dangerous to the motherboard when modded improperly.

would be nice to bench something newer that can utilize 3dmark systeminfo for some inkling of security and or GPUPI works on. 

Edited by Splave

Just now, Splave said:

just strange, you are going to set the table and then not show up for dinner? 

He seems to be targeting a $10 gpu when everyone else is targeting $30-50. No need to get into a flame war over this, you guys have differing opinions but both opinions hinge on different criteria. Personally I think either GTX 950 or GTX 660 would be good as they're within the affordable range in the two of the three markets that actually matter for this comp, US and EU. And in AU they're $70-100 which is about the same as $50 USD but I don't know if that's expensive for them or not.

My personal opinion is the used markets outside of those three markets is so fucked that no matter what gpu you pick you'll pick "the wrong one" but mick doesn't seem to agree and I'll allow him that. I have seen much more support for GTX 950 than a single person who want caicos/g 210 so personally I'd push for GTX 950. 

The real question is why are we arguing the merits of one gpu or another in what's essentially a shouting match. I think it's time for a poll and we'll find just like basically every other year that one option will have overwhelming popularity.

2 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

gentlemen keep your steroids in ya pants

How about GTS 450 DDR3 ?

Seems very specific, I feel like if we're gonna do fermi then doing GF108 core would give a few more options to hopefully get around any possible issues of finding a specific model in a region. GF108 would give us GT 420, 430, some 440, gt 530, some gt 630 would be similar to how we did cedar core last year and had lots of options for models that performed essentally the same.

Just now, Leeghoofd said:

I just ebayed these cards btn 10-30 bucks 

In all regions? What about asian, south american, south african regions? If we're gonna do a card that is only for sure available in US, EU, AU regions then GTX 950 availability and price is fine. If we're gonna do a card other than GTX 950 then we should consider regions other than the big three.

Cheapaz S1 gt710: 30+ participants

Cheapaz S2 gt1030: 30+ participants

Cheapaz S3 hd5450: 17 participants

Kinda interesting, I'm sure there are many factors you could attribute to this. Seems price isn't a factor though as $10 hd5450 much less participation than previous "expensive" gt1030

How is price/availability look for gtx 750 ti worldwide? That is also small maxwell core, but maybe better availability?

Edited by bigblock990

• Crew
2 minutes ago, bigblock990 said:

Hey Alby, gts 450 ddr3 there is only three on ebay usa right now. The ddr5 models are much more readily available.

I already edited that Brady dear to GDDR5 ages ago.... you are getting old bro 

I'll do a Massman on you lot and make a poll, you pick the card you want

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Crew
Just now, bigblock990 said:

Cheapaz S1 gt710: 30+ participants

Cheapaz S2 gt1030: 30+ participants

Cheapaz S3 hd5450: 17 participants

Kinda interesting, I'm sure there are many factors you could attribute to this. Seems price isn't a factor though as $10 hd5450 much less participation than previous "expensive" gt1030

Fwiw the first two comps had prizes which do increase participation sadly.

I have no horse in this race but I'm glad there's actual suggestions being made now :D

6 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

if you think GTS450 will be overpriced in them regions , then I would not even think how expensive a 950 would be....

My mistake for not being clear, what I meant is we either say fuck anything outside of US, EU, AU and do GTX 950 or we pick not GTX 950 and make sure that whatever the gpu is it's widely available in all regions.

Personally I don't think anything outside of US, EU, AU really matters as those are the only countries to participate in previoius Cheapaz with the exception of Brazil and Israel in S1, and tbh probably 98% of participation in all comps falls in those three regions so I would be fine with choosing cards based exclusively on those three markets. Either way a poll should solve things.

15 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

I'll do a Massman on you lot and make a poll, you pick the card you want

Could we wait for the aussies to wake up and give their suggestions, and say one suggestion per person?  Count mine as the 210, since it's not as similar to the 5450 aas Caicos would be.  Cooler mounting is fine, just means people can get creative rather than slapping on a tek-9, and they don't draw enough power to damage the motherboard unlike some bigger cards - of course a short could damage the mobo but the same is true of anything.

6 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

We will do one AMD IGP and one with discrete graphics at the same time.

• If AMD IGP round has more participants Zeropluszero, Bilko and Yousarianlives pay me and Mickulty a beer.
  • If Discrete round has more participants Zeropluszero, Bigblock and Splave pay me and Mickulty a beer

I'll buy you a beer anyway