HWBOT Community Forums

HWBot Cheapaz Chips 2020 Design Thread

Leeghoofd

On 2/7/2020 at 3:53 AM, Leeghoofd said:

We have the poll right to pick the GPU, currently in the lead is HD 5770, but there is a very similar Juniper based card the HD 6770. 

My question is: 

Round 1 with HD 5770 only or HD 5770 + HD 6770

Round 2 with GTS 450 or 550Ti

Round 3 with GTX 950

Are you concerned that having 3 rounds this year will limit options for the future of cheapazz comps? I thought there were some concerns about not enough cheap and widely available vga models to keep the comp going long term without needing to revisit previous hardware.

18 minutes ago, bigblock990 said:

Are you concerned that having 3 rounds this year will limit options for the future of cheapazz comps? I thought there were some concerns about not enough cheap and widely available vga models to keep the comp going long term without needing to revisit previous hardware.

imho there are plenty out there, just not plenty of newer ones. Looking at previous comps we have not had much representation from tons of maxwell, kepler, fermi, gcn (various), tesla cards. So I think we definitely have tons of possible cards for the future. I'd say we're limited by 1. how slow of cards are people willing to run and 2. how much of a requirement must mods be. For example lots of newer and slightly newer cards can get fairly full voltage control through software so mods then become about secondary rails, cap mods, and potential epower if vrm is too weak.

12 hours ago, superpatodonaldo said:

nice start, and if replace 3dm11p gpu score with a gpupi 1b (e.g.) the scores will be good also for the HD5770 rankings

HD 5770 does not do double precision, so no GPUPI action there. Need baby Cypress (HD 5830) for GPUPI. 

Edited by cbjaust
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Leeghoofd said:

Both compos are pre-configured (+background is requested from the artwork designer) 

Anyway still open for inputs for benchmark selection and if needed CPU restriction ( MHZ) for the HD 5770 Round

On 2/11/2020 at 12:29 AM, cbjaust said:

HD 5770 does not do double precision, so no GPUPI action there. Need baby Cypress (HD 5830) for GPUPI. 

I see the comp page and the second stage is Gpupi 3.2 1B. HD5770 can not run this?