HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus XII Apex

Tested 11900K cold on 12 Apex this past couple days. Thought to share my experience. 

Starting voltages given in 13 Apex thread also work for 12 too. Tried IO voltage at both 1.5 and Auto and didn't notice difference but besides that very easy to run full pot on this gen as well. Used 2101 BIOS for testing.

TurboV linked in 13 Apex thread though is very hit or miss. Works well at full core/HT on but dropping cores to 4/4 or 3/3 it would freeze system every time. Work around for me was to use older TurboV to set voltage and then use the Worktool or XP Tool given in 13 Apex thread to set core/cache clocks.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GTI-R said:

I'm saying the BIOS can't be rewritten
Even if I can't even open the UEFI screen and talk about voltage ...

I had the same issue on my XII Apex, couldn't fix bios 1 so I rma'd the board. Issue started after I updated the firmware to the most recent firmware.

I know at least one other person this has happened to.

Edited by Midnight703
  • Sad 1

On 4/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, Midnight703 said:

I had the same issue on my XII Apex, couldn't fix bios 1 so I rma'd the board. Issue started after I updated the firmware to the most recent firmware.

I know at least one other person this has happened to.

My board won't turn on at all with bios 2 selected (Start button does nothing nor jumping) pretty sure it started when flashing 0098. Funny thing is I can use USB Flashback and it goes through the flash process so no idea what's up. Must be some sort of bug because I can see it when using FlashROM/Rasp Pi

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, GtiJason said:

My board won't turn on at all with bios 2 selected (Start button does nothing nor jumping) pretty sure it started when flashing 0098. Funny thing is I can use USB Flashback and it goes through the flash process so no idea what's up. Must be some sort of bug because I can see it when using FlashROM/Rasp Pi

I have this exact same issue on bios 2 with 2101 bios. I heard we need to use cometlake cpu to be able to start and updating ME. But currently dont have cometlake in hand i cant testing this.

• Sad 1

Any new incoming bios for rocket lake that won't brick the board ? I have a friend who brick his board too updating to 2103 for RKl cpus ? I want to test a 11600k on Apex 12 but i do not want to brick the board like it happen already to a lot of people :/ .  Any kind soul in Asus please fix this bios corruption bug ...

• Like 1

It doesn't brick the board. But you have to be more patient than normal on first boot. It does some update with black screen that takes a while and looks like it hangs. If you wait it will eventually reboot and work normally. Don't reset during this process! 

You can update bios with externa flasher if you have bricked bios. 

Edited by Rauf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rauf said:

It doesn't brick the board. But you have to be more patient than normal on first boot. It does some update with black screen that takes a while and looks like it hangs. If you wait it will eventually reboot and work normally. Don't reset during this process! 

It hangs and doesnt turn on anymore on bios 2. Maybe need cometlake cpu for updating microcode first? Because on bios 1 im updating to rkl beta bios with 10900K back than.

6 hours ago, d0minat0r said:

Can you share your profile?

I set XMP2 with gskill 4800C18 and 1.585V for 5066 boot with 10900K. The kit won't boot with more or less vdimm.

Edited by dumo

53 minutes ago, Rauf said:

QFT. It took a little more time with black screen than other cometlake bioses

On 5/1/2021 at 4:21 AM, speed.fastest said:

I have this exact same issue on bios 2 with 2101 bios. I heard we need to use cometlake cpu to be able to start and updating ME. But currently dont have cometlake in hand i cant testing this.

I just tried this  with 10700k and 10900k and still no difference than with 11600k. I probably have to flash back to an older bios first or something as it's certainly just a bug BIOS 1 is 2103 and I've tried flashing bios 2 with 2103, 0098 and 0088 I believe. In bios the 11600k shows 3C and the 10700k shows E2 I think. What's wierd is I only used bios flashback up until a couple days ago on this board so somehow the code did update doing it this way. Sometimes after bios flashback I saw "updating Aura firmware", "updating me" and the long blank black screen too

Edited by GtiJason
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1