HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus XII Apex

On 7/5/2020 at 12:33 AM, shar00750 said:

Does anyone get cb at -160 after 3 session of ln2 ? I've done 3 session full pot no problems but now can't go full pot , have cb at -160 . I tried raise pll term up to 1.8 no luck.

I would clean the socket with wd40 contact cleaner, spray a lot of it then with dry with hot air, repeat 2-3 times, clean the pads on the back of the cpu as well. Had this with a buyer of one cpu i sold, he couldn't go full-pot and cleaning did the job.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, shar00750 said:

Update , the cpu work on other board , that's mean that the problem is in the apex ☹️

have you tried cpu in another board with ln2 to confirm if cpu is still "cold scared" ? btw interesting anyway.... my comunication with intel leads to they need detailed video about what is cpu doing so im waiting to monday to refill

Hello all, at first i know this is XII Apex thread, but i have XII Extreme and have little issue. With LN2 Mode Enabled, i got 80°C CPU Temp at idle. All voltage set manually already like in this photo. BIOS is latest retail 0607, can we have M12E bios with unlocked dram voltage without ln2 mode? Thanks :)

FYI for Turbo V i can use m12a version on this page without any trouble.

IMG_20200709_212327.jpg

IMG_20200709_212400.jpg

IMG_20200709_212353.jpg

IMG_20200709_212336.jpg

IMG_20200709_211949.jpg

6 hours ago, speed.fastest said:

Hello all, at first i know this is XII Apex thread, but i have XII Extreme and have little issue. With LN2 Mode Enabled, i got 80°C CPU Temp at idle. All voltage set manually already like in this photo. BIOS is latest retail 0607, can we have M12E bios with unlocked dram voltage without ln2 mode? Thanks :)

FYI for Turbo V i can use m12a version on this page without any trouble.

IMG_20200709_212327.jpg

IMG_20200709_212400.jpg

IMG_20200709_212353.jpg

IMG_20200709_212336.jpg

IMG_20200709_211949.jpg

What happens if you set PLL Bandwidth to "Level 1"?

Are you still 80C idle?

with the apex when you activate ln2 mode
in safe mode the pll is auto at 1.7, once you set it in the bios to 1.0 1.3 v and you reboot the pll is at the right voltage
every time you do a safe boot the pll will come back in auto

Edited by darkgregor

2 hours ago, darkgregor said:

with the apex when you activate ln2 mode
in safe mode the pll is auto at 1.7, once you set it in the bios to 1.0 1.3 v and you reboot the pll is at the right voltage
every time you do a safe boot the pll will come back in auto

That 80°C photo is on os idling, when loading it even reach 87°C or something.

Edited : It looks like its now working, only bios doesnt apply the setting i set in bios. After clear cmos now works!

Edited by speed.fastest
  • Like 2

Hello guys,

Maybe you can help Me.

Upgraded from i7 7700k and maximus IX hero to 10900k and maximus XII Apex. 

Gpu in both configs is the Same 1080ti with Same overclock settings. 

Same Windows 7 install, Same settings, drivers etc. 

Now with z270 i had firestrike GPU score of 30700 and with z490 i dropped to 29500 GPU score with exact Same overclock and Windows settings. 

1080 ti is running at 16x and no thermal Problems. 

So what am i missing here? 

Sudden drop of 1500 gpu score in firestrike when going from z270 to z490?

Am i missing some special chipset drivers to maximise gpu performance in Windows 7 on z490?

Is the ringbus on 10900k slower than on 7700k which makes gpu performance on z490 worse? 

What am i missing? 

Need your help guys. 

OC Family,

I just got my Apex XII and a 10900k (can't believe I found both in stock at the same place at the same time - thumbs up for www.neweggbusiness.com) and have a few questions.

1) Can someone explain to me what exactly the legacy memory mode is all about and do I need to worry about it if I'm just running the stock latest BIOS from the Asus support site? Also, all this talk about A2 only - is this just in regards to the high clock/low latency settings (like 4800 14-13-13 or whatever)?

2) The VRM tool listed in the first post - It works how? I just make a task scheduler event and run it at login!??! What does it do exactly? What should I be looking for when monitoring the changes it makes?

3) I was pulling 190 amps according to hwinfo by doing an overclock of 52 on all cores/0 avx/50 uncore - just how many amps do you think is safe with something like chilled water setup?

4) I can't believe how cool the 10900k runs. Not a question - just a comment. Some of the reviews I've read make me wonder if they even actually used it.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks, love reading and learning from you all.

Marco

• Like 1

@marco.is.not.80

2. iirc it will only work if you have LLC 4 or 5 set and its supposed to help with transient response so if you compare with and without the tool during a transient-heavy load you should see a minor improvement in load voltage needed. Personally I didn't see any real improvement in R20 at all (not a transient-heavy load and specially on 10900K the cache is now large enough for mem oc to be kinda irrelevant, went from like 200 points stock -> tuned on 9900K to like 20 points) and not a significant difference in OCCT Large AVX2 (transient-heavy). Lower voltage needed for no WHEA during the "easy" parts perhaps but it would crash regardless with the heavier parts (this is with tightly tuned b-die to maximize avx load bandwidth). Wasn't really enough of a game changer for me to consider it worth dailying as I haven't heard of it being guaranteed safe over 2-3 years. Falkentyne will probably give you more info, he's the one who's worked on it with Shamino from Asus but on a M12E.

3. 10700K and 10900K are rated for 245A "thermally supported indefinitely" according to the datasheet so in theory 245A @ TJMAX (100c) for the duration of the warranty period, i.e. 3 years? 190A is definitely fine for stability testing!

Edited by Tyllo
  • Thanks 1