HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Maximus XII Apex

Just now, str8_an94baller said:

what exactly does maximus tweak mode 1 mode 2 change?

some say on >4000mt/s the mode 2 struggles

My understanding is the maximus tweak modes tighten subs, rtl, and iol values with mode 2 being tighter than mode 1. When testing limits I try to keep it on mode 2 and see how far it will go. I have also noticed on mode 2 the rtl values are as tight as they will train, but the iol values have some room for tightening most ost the time. 

If I am trying to push high freq I will sometimes back off to mode 1 if its having trouble training, only going to auto if it cant even train on mode 1.

20 hours ago, Midnight703 said:

My understanding is the maximus tweak modes tighten subs, rtl, and iol values with mode 2 being tighter than mode 1. When testing limits I try to keep it on mode 2 and see how far it will go. I have also noticed on mode 2 the rtl values are as tight as they will train, but the iol values have some room for tightening most ost the time. 

If I am trying to push high freq I will sometimes back off to mode 1 if its having trouble training, only going to auto if it cant even train on mode 1.

Ah and this mode requires RTL training to be enabled under advanced settings to work right?

With mode 1 I can boot no problem, mode 2 won't boot regardless.

Regarding VRM tool, it allows adaptive transient response so it will change VRM switching frequency on the fly to best suit the load scenario?

Edited by str8_an94baller

1 hour ago, str8_an94baller said:

Ah and this mode requires RTL training to be enabled under advanced settings to work right?

Not in my experience, it doesnt require round trip latency to be enabled, but most of the time mode 2 will not train when you are pushing the limits of your imc or kit. If you can train mode 1 without a problem but not mode 2 I assume that's an issue with imc or kit not being able to handle the tighter subs, iol, and rtl values. 

5 hours ago, Midnight703 said:

Not in my experience, it doesnt require round trip latency to be enabled, but most of the time mode 2 will not train when you are pushing the limits of your imc or kit. If you can train mode 1 without a problem but not mode 2 I assume that's an issue with imc or kit not being able to handle the tighter subs, iol, and rtl values. 

got it, thanks for the advice

this with mode 1, and rtl training enabled

3c00JCQ.png

anything I should try to improve?

2 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

anything I should try to improve?

Should be able to get 1t at that freq, try oil offset of 22 or higher and see if itll train, and see if the rtls will train all the same, at 62 or lower. I would also go through the secindaires, looks like some may be able to tighten and terts should be able to tighten significantly. What voltages are you on for those timings?

I don''t know if anyone else has experienced this but with mode 1 I move the IO Latency offset down (ie. 21 to 20 to 19 to 18, etc.) and with mode 2 I move the IO Latency offset up (ie. 21 to 22 to 23 to 24, etc.) both with the purpose of getting IO latency and RTLs to train tighter.

Edited by marco.is.not.80

On 8/5/2020 at 5:07 AM, skullbringer said:

hey hwbot forums folks, I'm sorta new on here

this is my current setup, intended for 24/7:
2142866217_4800-c17_17_37_1t-3000.thumb.png.1737c4b6b6261713fd67335155ea0949.png

• anything I can improve on, maybe Apex specific (apart from ppd 0)?
  • you reckon 1.43 Vcore under load will degrade noticeably or is it fine for Intel 14nm++++?

Like someone already said you need to get that system agent voltage way down. You're killing your CPU. Also, your core voltage - 1.570 - don't know what kind of cooling you have but the only thing that would support 24/7 voltages at that level would be if you had a big ass water cooler instead of a radiator and even then - it better be an industrial size with a pump to match.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, chispy said:

Guys anyone else having problems running SLI on legacy cards ? I have been trying to get SLI x2 on GTX 580s for 3 days  same video cards , same bios. Used to work on z-390  and x299 but now on Z-490 i cannot get SLI working on gtx 580s :( . Any idea , help will be greatly appreciate it. Things i have tried fresh windows 10 latest 2004 install and updated  , fresh windows 8.1 install and updated and same for windows 7 and windows xp , every OS is updated and nothing , also tried 8 different sli bridgws 2 brand new ones never used , no SLI option on nvidia control panel. Tried latest drivers 391.35 and older 390xx - 388xx and no go , no SLI is working on Apex xii z-490 on this legacy gtx 580 video cards. Installed latest mobo bios 0607 , also tried 0055 and still cannot activate sli :( , i stop

22.png

Yes it is pretty frustrating - I am now going through the same experience ?

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, Midnight703 said:

Should be able to get 1t at that freq, try oil offset of 22 or higher and see if itll train, and see if the rtls will train all the same, at 62 or lower. I would also go through the secindaires, looks like some may be able to tighten and terts should be able to tighten significantly. What voltages are you on for those timings?

it doesn't seem to train at 1T

1.522 vdimm

1.35v sa and io

On 8/9/2020 at 6:20 AM, marco.is.not.80 said:

Like someone already said you need to get that system agent voltage way down. You're killing your CPU. Also, your core voltage - 1.570 - don't know what kind of cooling you have but the only thing that would support 24/7 voltages at that level would be if you had a big ass water cooler instead of a radiator and even then - it better be an industrial size with a pump to match.

for SA 1.45 V was the safe limit for 6th gen, but Intel's 14nm has improved a lot, so up to 1.65V is fine since Coffee Lake.

My chip is delidded and has a Supercool computers direct core mk6 block fitted to it with conductonaut. Under load in realbench Vcore droops to 1.43V under LLC6 and temps stay below 70C for all cores, so should be fine, no?

9 hours ago, skullbringer said:

for SA 1.45 V was the safe limit for 6th gen, but Intel's 14nm has improved a lot, so up to 1.65V is fine since Coffee Lake.

My chip is delidded and has a Supercool computers direct core mk6 block fitted to it with conductonaut. Under load in realbench Vcore droops to 1.43V under LLC6 and temps stay below 70C for all cores, so should be fine, no?

for 24/7?

that seems a bit extreme...

On 8/8/2020 at 4:08 PM, Midnight703 said:

@Midnight703

I tried, still can't do 1T

The offset 22 works though

hbexKwd.png

OeTT0t2.png

Edited by str8_an94baller
more pictures