HWBOT Community Forums

About Hwbot and Future

rbuass

Hello my friends from Hwbot!

First all, sorry my broken english, but since it’s not my mother language, I will do my best to be clear.

Some people already know me, I have a lot of time on Hwbot and I have been very active in the rankings in the past.

However, I am sad to noticed that an activity that we are passionate about seems to be being abandoned.

Really for me, it is not very important the ranking, but for many people, especially for newcomers, Hwbot, the Worldwide League is the place for reference.

I don’t like to see Hwbot only as a “overclocking database”, as Ripping Org in the past, but a place where overclockers change experiences, friendship, teach each other and pursuit the hardware limits.

So I would like to share my personal feeling, which I know are not unanimous, but with all due respect to those who think differently, I would like to share.

I believe that Hwbot should update itself, with some new stuff in order to bring more interest to the giant overclocking community around the world.

The news is not updated, just go to the first page and we will see the site with old news.

We could have really cool things to attract people.

- Overclocking tutorials performed by overclockers from around the world, on different platforms, that the overclockers themselves share.

- To attract great gamer community, news about the performance improvement in enthusiastic systems, demonstrating the improvement of gaming experience.

- Tests of overclocking enthusiast under Water Coolers, Hydro Coolers, Aircoolers, showing how good system can perform.

- Updates of fantastic results made by overclockers (Last Big Records)

- Overclocking in games (see the huge noise that overclockers made around the world just when playing Doom Eternal under extreme overclocking).

This is just a few example, but I have also a good recommendation.

If we have a “Gaming Overclocking League”, we can add some Gaming Benchmarks and will do a big noise.

We have many games with own benchmark, as example of Metro, that’s very nice (people go crazy when we push extreme overclocking to the games).

This is one of the many examples we made overclocking in games 5 years ago:

This is only my suggestion, since we have a very good experience in Brazil (maybe one of the biggest gaming and overclocking communities in Brazil).

If I can also give my opinion about the benchmarks, we also need to keep the “Old School” benchmarks that I love.

Spi, 3dMark 01, 3dMark03, Pifast, etc, are very nice benchmarks and I love it.

But we have to update, and for example, give more power to popular and actual benchmarks (Port Royal, Superposition, CB R20, etc.) and sure, find a way to add some gaming benchmarks.

I think will be very good for the community.

That’s only a personal opinion, and not intend to cause any kind of conflict in the community.

Best wishes.

• Like 10

I think is a good idea Ronaldo , i would like to see a facelift of the website and updated + bring more ( new ) overclockers perhaps someone should write articles about the benefits of overclocking as a hobbie and for gaming PCs. Like you said there are a ton of games with included benchmarks Tomb Raiders games , Metros , etc ...

Let's brain storm over this !

Edited by chispy
  • Like 1

• Crew

Thanks Ronaldo for the input, but 90% of this is planned for the future. I'm feeling the exact same way as you and would hate to see it slip through...

In brief:

HWBot has been taking over by the kind people of Thermal Grizzly. However the final transaction is not yet completed, thus full access, to do any changes, at this moment is not happening. In the mean time I have to keep the boat afloat till this site becomes more user friendly to work in.

Its just me, myself and I, besides Gregor and Anitomy who update the hardware database. So any news posters whatever are free to share , but the current frontpage is a nitemare to do any proper posting in.

Highest on the priority list is to update the front page, easier to understand rules and remove the complex point algorythm.

You can read more here:

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

If one has propositions of freeware game benchmarks I'm all ears

If i can be of any help let me know Alby.

Here is a list of some of the games that are free and includes a built in benchmark:

( I'm sure there is more , but so far this ones are the ones i found working , i hope this helps. )

1.  https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/benchmark#title - free

2.  https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/ - free

3.  https://tombraider.square-enix-games.com/en-us  ( Benchmark available in trial version ) - free

4.  https://www.techpowerup.com/download/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-benchmark/ - free

5.  https://www.guru3d.com/files_get/resident_evil_6_benchmark_download,1.html - free

6.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/killer-instinct/9nblggh1z149#activetab=pivot:overviewtab - free

7.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/236390/War_Thunder/ - free

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chispy said:

If i can be of any help let me know Alby.

Here is a list of some of the games that are free and includes a built in benchmark:

( I'm sure there is more , but so far this ones are the ones i found working , i hope this helps. )

1.  https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/benchmark#title - free

2.  https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/ - free

3.  https://tombraider.square-enix-games.com/en-us  ( Benchmark available in trial version ) - free

4.  https://www.techpowerup.com/download/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-benchmark/ - free

5.  https://www.guru3d.com/files_get/resident_evil_6_benchmark_download,1.html - free

6.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/killer-instinct/9nblggh1z149#activetab=pivot:overviewtab - free

7.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/236390/War_Thunder/ - free

Thanks for sharing.

Very helpful.

Best wishes

• Like 2

Sample young people do not care about computer hardware and push technology to the limit. New generation do care about and from my side do not waste time I trying last years to help young people to start oc but it didn't happen I give it all my hardware but do not care. Rest of old ocers do overclock for fun nad old love and it is it. Maybe Roman can push over his community on YT and case king.  Only do make big shit here and just don't drive away these few people left, for some profit there.

• Like 1

• Crew
1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Well the ideas are awesome however practice will kill us. Just imagine bugs from those benchmarks coupled with the mighty-problem-causing-good-for nothing benchmate , just imagine the amazing experience and fun you will have debugging that. 

We could make them bointless Alex, so just show what we can do with an oced, setup. 

• Like 3

The submissions should be made easier imo.

It's difficult to get new recruits to figure it out by themselves. Each recruit requires his hand being held through the entire process.

Most of the younger crowd looks at userbench and havent even heard of hwbot.

This information is self collected. Spent the last 6 months or so at LTT. I'm the only one to ever mention hwbot at that very popular forum.

However I'm not allowed to advertise, so I have to be careful when I do mention hwbot.

Also, processors and video cards boost themselves. There's absolutely no reason to overclock. Mostly mentioned in forums to simply enable XMP and PBO and done.

OC days are gone unless BIG and drastic changes are made....which probably ain't gonna happen. It's a dead end hobby unlike RC cars or crafts.

10 hours ago, d0minat0r said:

Sample young people do not care about computer hardware and push technology to the limit. New generation do care about and from my side do not waste time I trying last years to help young people to start oc but it didn't happen I give it all my hardware but do not care. Rest of old ocers do overclock for fun nad old love and it is it. Maybe Roman can push over his community on YT and case king.  Only do make big shit here and just don't drive away these few people left, for some profit there.

What? I do not think that is true at all. I am quite young and know many others my age who are interested in this thing, the main issue most of them have with it is starting off. This community can be very closed off and tweaks are kept secret so it makes new people discouraged that they will not be able to be competitive with scores from people who know some weird quirk with a piece of software that makes it run faster. The other issue is cost to overclock is raising quite quickly and making it harder for younger people with very limited funds hard to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OC days are gone unless BIG and drastic changes are made....which probably ain't gonna happen. It's a dead end hobby unlike RC cars or crafts.

I also thought OC is out of interest for most young folks in my country until I recently joined local HW channel in Telegram - people do overclocking with their setups, test 'em in games and discuss interesting modding projects. The thing is HWBOT is not interesting for them. Interest in OC doesn't mean participation in hwbot. Casual overclocking/benchmarking is alive, hwbot should just find the way to invlove these people into community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

What? I do not think that is true at all. I am quite young and know many others my age who are interested in this thing, the main issue most of them have with it is starting off. This community can be very closed off and tweaks are kept secret so it makes new people discouraged that they will not be able to be competitive with scores from people who know some weird quirk with a piece of software that makes it run faster. The other issue is cost to overclock is raising quite quickly and making it harder for younger people with very limited funds hard to do. 

Don't use those excuses. Nobody was competitive when they first started, and nobody spoon fed any tweaks. You have to figure out some stuff by yourself. If you're not willing to put the time in, it ain't for you.

As far as expense, old hardware is a cheap learning experience, and you upgrade as you can afford it. Just like any other hobby.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Don't use those excuses. Nobody was competitive when they first started, and nobody spoon fed any tweaks. You have to figure out some stuff by yourself. If you're not willing to put the time in, it ain't for you.

As far as expense, old hardware is a cheap learning experience, and you upgrade as you can afford it. Just like any other hobby.

I was not speaking for myself just from what others have shared with me about it. Personally I spend way too much money on this hobby and end up working extra shifts to get more hardware but such is life. As for tweeks I personally have been able to find most of the major ones with the way back machine from old forums but it is off putting to new people who might not know about tweaks when their scores are bad at the same clocks. 

I still think Overclocking brings a lot of interest, at all levels, from overclocking to improve the game experience or to sports overclocking and extreme.
As example we made a Live Stream tthis week, without any ads, opening the extreme overclock suddenly, and reached more than 20K views and less than 1% rejection.

http://prntscr.com/ufs52u

We need to have overclocking teaching how to overclock, tutorials from many of them, sorted.

How are tweaks, how should we run Time Spy, GPUPi, Hwbot X265, Superposition, etc?

How to configure the BIOS of the platforms?

How to tighten the memory latencies and increase their frequencies?

How to insulate the equipment?

Show that overclocking can be fun on eccentric platforms, freezing a simple radiator with normal ice, using dry ice, changing a heatsink and a fan to improve the results, creating cooling solutions to improve performance, etc.

How to squeeze the max of the hardware that each one has.

And as I said, just my suggestion, include the gamer community that is very large and can love to improve the performance of their PCs, with ready gaming benchmarks already present in some games (even if it is in a separate ranking type, just as it could be the Legacy, Gaming, Extreme benchmarks, etc.).

There is no ready formula, but adaptations.

Nobody else will be interested if they need to do maneuvers to install and use Windows XP?
Okay, we'll have a league and its results for those who like it, and I personally think Spi32 is the most technical benchmark 2D and love it.

Don't want to mix with the gamers scores?

We make benchmarks separate from traditional.

If we need to keep the CORE that is the Overclocking of traditional benchmarks?
We will then give value to them, updating the results, encouraging people to do it.

I think there is a lot to do, as our colleague Leeghoofd explained in the other topic and that is the way.

And in my opinion, it is not true that overclocking is death end, or because is all ready.

There is a lot to be done to squeeze the max of the hardware, which today is much more sensitive.

From simple efficiency to be taken from the frequency / temperature / voltage with dynamism never seen before, to voltmods and protection breaks for the most advanced levels.

The worst way to take is to give up.

That's my two cents only.

Best wishes

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TerraRaptor said:

I also thought OC is out of interest for most young folks in my country until I recently joined local HW channel in Telegram - people do overclocking with their setups, test 'em in games and discuss interesting modding projects. The thing is HWBOT is not interesting for them. Interest in OC doesn't mean participation in hwbot. Casual overclocking/benchmarking is alive, hwbot should just find the way to invlove these people into community.

But that's the thing. I actively look to recruit from the most popular forum in the world right now.

99% of them are just interested in setting up, minimal tweaking and then off to the games. 

There really is not a lot of interest to overclock. Cpu and Gpu released with no head room. none. 

Not like back in the day when you could eek out 500mhz from a cpu (on average) and really gain performance percentage figures.

____

So being actively trying to actually FIND and recruit people that take an interest in competitive benchmarking (cooling and scores set aside) seems to be a very limited crowd. Super limited. I've found 1 recruit, brought him aboard and he's enjoying himself. Thankfully.

The HWBot thing was the hardest part and we all had to assure and encourage him.. He was getting frustrated with HWBot, rules, submitting legitimately and move on to the next bench. It so hard for a new guy to come along and work with HWBot. Took this gentleman probably a week to get one good legitimate submission in. That sucks. I can't sell that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rbuass said:

Snip**

All that is at every single OC forum that's still around. The OC information is easy to come by.

But yet.... all the OC forums are dead. 

So unless people search specifically for overclocking forums, they find non active or very little activity on these forums. They get the info needed (mostly all OC knowledge is public) and they move on. They don't even register most of the time. 

But you're right! How do we get people interested in this?? It won't be easy bud.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The HWBot thing was the hardest part and we all had to assure and encourage him.. He was getting frustrated with HWBot, rules, submitting legitimately and move on to the next bench. It so hard for a new guy to come along and work with HWBot. Took this gentleman probably a week to get one good legitimate submission in. That sucks. I can't sell that.

Which is why something like benchmate has the potential to really help. I know a lot of people hate it but it might be needed to keep hwbot alive and keep new people coming in. 

Just now, Mythical tech said:

Which is why something like benchmate has the potential to really help. I know a lot of people hate it but it might be needed to keep hwbot alive and keep new people coming in. 

I can't sell a half working program. The "submit" button is useless. Then the little bugs that come with it. I was getting it to just not work correctly being on the edge of stability. It's counter productive in this aspect. Must be filed to the desktop for the verification pop up to appear. 

What happened to just set it up and run it, screen shot, put in a little information and done. 

The stuff in the form that is not required to submit a score should be completely removed. It just makes it cluttered and confusing to new users.

People like/need simplicity. We really should head that direction imo.

Simplicity in general is also simplicity to cheat and take high spots. HWBOT was and is database of results in different benchmarks. Making simple validation will ruin the validity of this database - people are people and cheaters will exploit that simplicity to gain top rankings. Look at Aquamark - first only screenshot of am3 window was required, then screenshot in am3 pasted into paint plus cpuz/gpuz, then wrapper - just because there were too many cheaters using simplicity of early validation rules. 

• Like 1