HWBOT Community Forums

Questions about buying AMD

So I'm considering switching to an AMD CPU for performance and power reasons, (not to mention the upcoming Ryzen 5000 refresh with the 3d V-cache).

On Intel, the memory controllers get better performance from quad rank memory configs, due to the motherboard T-topology, so I bought 4 single rank memory sticks for my build. Now I am looking at AMD motherboards and it seems all of them are daisy chained. Does that mean quad rank does not matter as much? Does using 4 sticks still help memory performance on AMD? Hurt it? 192.168.1.254

Also, I am pretty newb to AMD CPU overclocking so I am expecting to just use PBO in the beginning and maybe voltage curve optimize later on once I figure out the basics. Does having a crazy strong VRM matter for PBO and under volting? I am going to start with a 5600x and might end up getting an 8 core with 3D V-cache, whatever they end up calling it (5800xs?). 10.0.0.0.1

Edited by bruzehual

Four single rank DIMMs in a dual channel configuration is a dual rank memory configuration. Usually dual rank will have better perfomance at the same clocks as single rank but single rank will often clock higher than dual rank.

• Thanks 1