HWBOT Community Forums

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX | APEX 14

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:58 PM, bscool said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfmmvq2lp68ki3x/ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-APEX-ASUS-0001.zip?dl=0

MC SP

If anyone has both z690 Apex and z790 Apex and you test the same cpu in both MB post MC SP results. I have both MB but too lazy to swtich CPU to test.

I have Z690 with 13900k and just got my Z790 yesterday. You want the SP score that is listed for both the Efficiency cores  and the performance cores in the AI menu, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

I have Z690 with 13900k and just got my Z790 yesterday. You want the SP score that is listed for both the Efficiency cores  and the performance cores in the AI menu, right?

I was curious about MC SP. I compared the CPU SP and they were the same for me on z690 and z790 Apex. But when I had the 13900k in z690 Apex the bios didnt have the MC SP yet.

Info from Shamino

"MC SP

--------------------------------------

• Tests the MC solely, without touching the DRAM (you can even remove the dram while its testing) , same mc on different boards/dimms should give similar score
  • Tests the FMax of an MC at a fixed low SA voltage. In the same way you test a core's fmax at a low voltage idling.
  • Since there is an element of luck when testing FMax like you would when running for a cpuz record, the outcome will not be 100% the same everytime and score will shift a little.
  • Temperature affects FMax but the effect is weighted and the maximum package temperature during the training is taken into account to generate an unbiased score.

there is a strong co-relation between MC FMax and DRAM OC just like Core FMax with Core Cinebench Freq.

a sample from a not so good board , no so good dram at 1.4v by a not so good overclocker (me!):
/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.overclock.net/attachments/1668846233754-png.2583760/

in other words, all things remaining the same, there is a high probability that a higher mc sp will net a higher dram oc.

Attachments

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z790-owners-thread.1800191/post-29075361

Edited by bscool
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, marco.is.not.80 said:

Sorry bscool - I forgot to update this for you because my Z790 was dead on arrival from Newegg. I believe they sold me a used board because it had no manual in it and was missing the protective wrapping :-( I've RMA'd it but you know how that goes - no stock right now so have to wait ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BibOmatic said:

Installed that unofficial 2301 and now stucked to it, it won't let me to downgrade to any previous version anymore, please advise !

Thanks.

I have seen others on OCN say you cannot flashback to older bioes once on 2301. I would have thought they would have made note of that as all the people that complained when they did the same with bios 2004.

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX BIOS 2004

Version 2004
10.8 MB

"1. Improve system performance
2. Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2
3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack™, to ensure better compatibility.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your reply bscool !

Seriously these practices should be forbidden.

Owners should be able to install any bios of their choice whatever the reason is. We all know that OC results might vary depending the CPU and memory we use...

BCLK OC of the i5 12400 for example is no longer working from 2004 version.

I know that most APEX users are more after high end CPUs anyway but still this is not fair to lock the ability to flash back a previous version of our choice, potentially losing some stability or previous working feature.

Personally, I use that motherboard mainly to run tests on different CPUs / Ram.

Does someone have the detail of the "improvements" provided with this 2301 version? As I couldn't find it on the ASUS website, it looks more unofficial maybe tweaked to me...

Thanks for your feedbacks.

15 hours ago, bscool said:

I have seen others on OCN say you cannot flashback to older bioes once on 2301. I would have thought they would have made note of that as all the people that complained when they did the same with bios 2004.

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX BIOS 2004

Version 2004
10.8 MB

"1. Improve system performance
2. Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2
3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack™, to ensure better compatibility.

This is well and good, but Asus avoid for all they can add in an short change log for their beta bios package. And only luck of draw if Asus will do the same for the official bios on their main support download page. And I expect not all major changes will be added anyway. But less is more.. Isn't it?

This below is with EVGA. Asus... Nothing.

image.png.13ecc4787452544543bda63824d5d1ee.png

Edited by Papusan
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, gkmltd said:

Try Flashbios

I tried gkmltd, 2301 to 22xx or less is blocked.

I also switched to the second older bios (not supporting Raptor Lake processors) but unfortunately without any succes despite many attempts... :(  Maybe I could flash using an alder lake to boot to the setup of the second older bios, but I do not have one around me...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 6:38 AM, marco.is.not.80 said:

Guys, isn't this why we have dual bioses? Flash the latest one to one bios and keep the old bios on the 2nd one. What's the problem?

The problem is if you got some issue while using the older bios, something like the board getting stucked at post code '28' even after clearcmos and you need to use USB Bios Flashback, you are out of luck since it only works with a newer bios version.

This happened to me and now Non-K OC is gone. :/

Edited by NoMS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

I'm still confused. One BIOS can't be flashed back. I get that. The other BIOS would have the NON-K OC BIOS installed. You can't just flip the switch  to choose the BIOS that works and go from there?

Sorry - I think I'm missing something here - educate me.

You can, but if the NON-K OC BIOS get broken for some reason and you need USB Bios Flashback to fix it, it will refuse to flash the older BIOS if you already flashed the another chip with the newer one.

• Like 3

What version of bios you guys use for sp readings on z690 Apex?

I have bugged results with 2004 and 2204, even after ME update.

2x13900k and a 13900ks have the same exact pcore & ecore.

Reflash, clr cmos, multiple resets didn't help. Whatever cpu i tested first, remains there as ratings 

Plus, they are different than z790 Apex and z790 Hero , not by much.

• 1 month later...