HWBOT Community Forums

GIGABYTE Z690 Tachyon

I have been playing around with the Tachyon now for a few days. quickly updated the F1 bios to the F6 and then it accepted my 12900ks also.  I XMPd my Kingston 6400 and it started right up with no tweaks everything on auto. Kudos for that. I did a milder OC and got them up easily to 6800 simply using the XMP timings and a basic increase of DRAM as per this thread, I could then go from there to improved efficiency.  I did get them up to 7140 Mc also just for validation. I am not used to Gigabyte Bios ? which can be quite confusing coming from EVGA/ASUS but a few Youtube videos later i made it.

I could not get any Win 7 to work with the F6 bios no matter what i tried  (Both USB and DVD tested) and installed X3k which seems to take care of that.  Will that be the same for win XP? Mind you the settings look exactly the same so not sure what the difference would be.

Wish i had the GTL working on Win 7 properly though ? 

the X3a-k OC bios versions seems to be great but maybe it would be worthwhile to properly write out what they can be used for as in Win XP, Win7 and CPU's.  Just to ensure no CPUs are crashed accidentally if that now can happen, i dont know.

Would also be great if someone could write out what all the MCU bios codes actually mean/do and for what.

So overall as a first gen DDR5 Intel based its a great board. loads to tweak so now up to me  to improve my scores ?

Meanwhile its very clear i can configure my Asus Z690 Apex to be a high priced mediastation as it will never be a great overclocker ?  (mind you i had just about all prewvious versions and they have all been winners ?

Edited by Matsglobetrotter

First MCU is for basic OC, say 12900k or 12900ks ad such

Second (009) is for BCLK. say G7400.
Have not tried the other MCU.

Best bios is 3Xi.
For basicly every possible situation for now.
But do try the other ones to compare.
This is just my personal experience.

I have not tried win7 and so on.

• Thanks 1

You can use all x3-versions for XP and Win7. What you need is CSM, as long it’s not enabled, you can’t use XP or Win7. 

I prefer X3i bios for all CPU‘s also for KS. Last uploaded GTL works also for XP and Win7, don’t have problems with it.

Regarding MCU, for K/KF CPU‘s without e-cores and with AVX512 support you need 0x15 microcode but you can also select it for KS.

for non-k CPU‘s it’s already described here I’m Thread, select microcode 0x09

• Thanks 1

to sergmann " ... advanced memory settings>memory training settings>"

Is it possible to make visible the entire directory Memory Configuration(where Ch Hash Interleaved Bit, Power Down Mode, Pwr Down Idle Timer, ...) & Memory Thermal Configuration(where SelfRefresh Enable) ?

to 5erveD "...Have not tried the other MCU..." On top of that, microcode 1A vs 15 vs Cpu PhotoWorxx + 74850(no E-core) & 76250(avx512on)

image.thumb.jpeg.f6e76be880cf8ec3f69955ceb056f093.jpeg

Edited by BOBKOC
  • Like 1

Found a Radeon 5450 that works, so been using that, however still having problems with bclk.  Trying 12100F now.  Best I've gotten is 117Mhz bclk, however I have to drop the memory significantly to do so.

Running X3i BIOS and using 0x09

Tried different VDD/VDDQ from 1.25v up to 1.45v

Tried VDD2 CPU up to 1.45v

Tried VCCIN AUX 1.9v

Disabled Fast Boot in memory settings.  Memory is on Auto timings.

VCCSA is on Auto

Do I have to maxmem for bclk OC?

Turned off C States and a couple other bits there

Anything specific I'm missing?

My memory is Corsair 6200Mhz C36-39-39 kit 32GB

You can choose different GPU in last slot for BCLK, for 3D and BCLK of course also first slot.

if you can’t boot higher BCLK, set your Mem down, for example to 3800 and test how far you can go with it.

SA doesn’t exist with G7400

DRAM VDD 1.35 VDD2 1.45 it’s a good value for Air and LN2 benching 

i think your problem is Mem at the moment.

you can try my uploaded profile to see how I’ve set Mem, maybe it will help you

Edited by sergmann

5 hours ago, sergmann said:

You can choose different GPU in last slot for BCLK, for 3D and BCLK of course also first slot.

if you can’t boot higher BCLK, set your Mem down, for example to 3800 and test how far you can go with it.

SA doesn’t exist with G7400

DRAM VDD 1.35 VDD2 1.45 it’s a good value for Air and LN2 benching 

i think your problem is Mem at the moment.

you can try my uploaded profile to see how I’ve set Mem, maybe it will help you

Cheers for the response

I've got a GT730 on the way so will try that too, will also try the 5450 in the top PCIE Slot.

The most I've booted is 120MHz on G7400 and I use GTL to increase in OS.  Once I hit 129MHz it instantly freezes and then will sometimes bsod. Generally see IRQ not less or equal than, and memory management errors so I think you're right memory could be the issue.

I've had memory down quite low already, I found the lower the strap the more bclk I could get, like if I was at 4800Mhz and dropped down to 4000MHz I'd gain 1-2Mhz bclk

I'd like to try a G.Skill kit too but these memory kits are expensive

I'll try the 5450 in the top slot first and see what happens

EDIT

Tried your profile with a couple changes, I turned off LAN and Audio, also I set memory clock to 6200Mhz as opposed to 6800Mhz

Can't get past POST with the settings.  I tried to increase VDD/VDDQ to 1.45v, but still wouldn't POST, the debug code ends at 54 then goes through the post cycle again and again and again.  Is it possible this board just doesn't like the Corsair Vegeance sticks?  Or is the board likely a problem, a bit like the early Asus boards where?

Edited by Matt26LFC

Are your IC’s Hynix? Don’t have problems with my ES Corsair Vengeance which I got for Comp.

if you can’t start with 6200 I would say it’s your Mem. I can start with 6800 with all my CPU’s.

don’t forget, as soon you change BCLK, you always change Mem frequency. 

Yeah def hynix, says hynix in UEFI and in CPUz memory tab.

When it wouldn't start 6200Mhz I had already set bclk set to 100 so I knew they where 6200 and not way over that clock, which is the XMP frequency for the kit, XMP on this kit is 6200 36-39-39

I've tried G7400 and 12100F now, so I think I'm safe in assuming its not the CPUs since they both seem to exhibit the same behaviour, which leaves three possible options, the memory kit, the board or I'm useless haha

I'd like to try G.Skill 6400Mhz C32 kit but spending £400 on another memory kit just to possibly find its not that is unpalatable lol

Best I've gotten in GB3 Multi on the 12100F, having issues getting into windows now.  Login screen is being weird.

snaphsot0006.png

EDIT 2

Memory set at 4800Mhz and best I can do is 118Mhz BCLK, the above screenshot was at 3600Mhz set and could manage 122Mhz BCLK

snaphsot0005.png

Edited by Matt26LFC

it seems there is an issue in the bios for the tachyon what i can see which show both in a normal F6 bios and in X3I and X3k when using benchmate. The CPU is reported as 2 x I9 12900ks.  I have checked however and it is not only related to benchmate but also reported as such in the windows Task Manager in win2012R2 server as well as win 10. There the I9-12900ks is reported as using 2 sockets. When infact it is using 1 cpu socket.

It does not show up as an issue in CPUz nor for example in Geekbench nor hw info. Though some action is needed to fix this. If not we wont be able to submit scores to HWbot as the field related to 1x or 2 x cpus cant be edited for many of the subs relying on benchmate in win10 onwards.

I can`t belive it, I use x3i with k/ks and non k cpu`s, don`t have this problem.

you can check my last score with ks, everything looks fine.

take one empty fat32 usb drive and put x3i bios on it. rename it with gigabyte.bin and flash via Q-Flash. I think here is something wrong with your flash of bios

Edited by sergmann

I checked your scores and you only have 1 with benchmate on the 12900KS full (not 12900ks(8P) and yes its with X3i and it reports wrong CPU so not relevant as evidence.  why not check in taskmanager and see what it will indicate ? why not try on F6 bios. I did all my flashes in the bios and did not have one error message in any scenario.

as per suggestion i downloaded a new bios. i used the F6 as its not experimental mode. I did bios update as you instructed. I then installed a clean vanilla Win 10 Enterprise LTSC version build 17763.rs5_release.180914-1434. i did nothing in bios.

I install benchmate and cpuz i have not installed any other things on the machine except graphics driver.

As you can see in the screenshot it shows 2 sockets used in task manager.

error.png

1 hour ago, 5erveD said:

Use slow mode to boot higher BLCK.
In OS you are limited on how much you can raise.

When on desktp you can switch back

Cheers, figured this out yesterday in the end, only took me about 2 days of mucking about to notice that was the problem lol

Haven't had to use slow mode as it seems happy booting 129Mhz atm  Will test more to see how high it'll post

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matsglobetrotter said:

I checked your scores and you only have 1 with benchmate on the 12900KS full (not 12900ks(8P) and yes its with X3i and it reports wrong CPU so not relevant as evidence.  why not check in taskmanager and see what it will indicate ? why not try on F6 bios. I did all my flashes in the bios and did not have one error message in any scenario.

Sergmann I found one work around. Its seems that if I use the  latest Win 10 version i can download it is reported correct. Not so in older Win 10versions nor in Win server 2012R2. This apply to anything thats using benchmate. This both on X3k and F6 bios

3 hours ago, Matt26LFC said:

Cheers, figured this out yesterday in the end, only took me about 2 days of mucking about to notice that was the problem lol

Haven't had to use slow mode as it seems happy booting 129Mhz atm  Will test more to see how high it'll post

BCLK 175+ incoming ?

3 hours ago, Matsglobetrotter said:

Sergmann I found one work around. Its seems that if I use the  latest Win 10 version i can download it is reported correct. Not so in older Win 10versions nor in Win server 2012R2. This apply to anything thats using benchmate. This both on X3k and F6 bios

I have tested it today also. It looks like BenchMate and old Win10 show us wrong settings. It’s like sometimes in old BenchMate versions, 12900k and KS are visible as 3400 CPU

It's not a BenchMate issue. I am using GetLogicalProcessorInformationEx +  RelationProcessorPackage to differentiate between physical packages. That's the normal Windows way to detect CPUs. That's also what's used in the Task Manager and a lot of software.

HWiNFO and CPU-Z (Geek uses CPU-Z) probably parse CPUID topology themselves. Something I rather not do without having a good reason. Well, until now that is.

I think it's a BIOS issue, that communicates to Windows (probably via SMBIOS or the likes) that there are two packages. The second one is probably the efficiency cores.

I can fix it in BM, that's not the problem. It is still a bug inside the BIOS.

@Hicookie Maybe you can shed light on it?

2 hours ago, sergmann said:

I have tested it today also. It looks like BenchMate and old Win10 show us wrong settings. It’s like sometimes in old BenchMate versions, 12900k and KS are visible as 3400 CPU

I can confirm this is not a benchmate issue but rather between Bios and Operating system as Win2012R2 and older Win 10 version have this issue but not the latest Win10 or 21H2 version to be more specific. I have tried just about all combinations now. both on X3k x3i and F6 bios.  so now i have a debloated 21H2 version :- and it works.

However i would be more interested in using Win2012R2 version and Benchmate but the fix is still then between Bios and OS as it shows up wrong in Windows own Task manager on the performance tab for CPU as i also prove in the picture above

Seems is want the best of two worlds..

Its easy to get my Kingston Fury renegades 6400Mts up to 7000 on F6 bios. simply using the 6400 Hynix boost profile and increasing voltages to just above 1.5 Volts. I can do 6800 without touching anything. I could even clock it bclk up to 7300. However for some reason or another the Cache frequency on the F6 bios does not want to go beyond 4700 no matter what i turn off or on.

Meanwhile on X3k and X3i i am lucky if i can boot on 6600 and usually would need much higher voltages. 1.55  or above and wont be stabile.

Does anyone know what is blocking the cache on the F6 bios as seemingly it would otherwise be the best for me ?. im still using my 12900ks