HWBOT Community Forums

Intel Masters of 12th Gen Challenge

Leeghoofd

Question for the first stage..

Say you have Geek 5 Pro version and run the bench in CLI (with tools that Primate Labs provides and is open to use in the bench) to only run the single core portion of the bench. Is this okay/allowed? Or is full bench run with regular wrapper needed?

Just an open question as this saves a BUNCH of time on reruns ? don't want to be doing something wrong with this much money up for grabs

• Crew

Intel proposed at start full XMP setting, so speeds and timings.. hard to control for starters, plus the one with the fastest retail kit wins. So we opted to set the JEDEC speeds of 4800MT/s for the challenge....

It's lot of cash, this should not be an easy ride for those that have maybe the fastest cpu.

• Like 4

• Crew

Stage 3: CB R11.5 by benchMate - Pentium Gold G7400             24th of July till 21th of August

• Pentium Gold G7400 CPUs only
  • Maximum CPU Multiplier of 34, Maximum CPU/Cache frequency of 5500MHz (with drift)
  • CPUZ 2.01 or newer CHECKED Validation link is required, registered on your HWBOT username.
  • HWInfo monitoring is required during the run, min - avg - maximum CPU clocks must be visible in the screenshot!
  • Include pictures of your overclocked setup. Prepare Video verification.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Crew

Yes R15 would have been a better pick, other lessons learned so far:

- too much drama for the Bios rule; we are referring to the retail version number so we need to 
  rephrase this rule in the future. HWBots intent was to prevent that for some competitions like G.Skill
  where the vendor released special biosses to allow higher e.G. IGPU voltages and such...  user 
  microcode modding we never considered.

- Hardware sharing stays hard to prove, nevertheless appropriate video footage was provided; boot
   from Bios showing SP values till the end of the benching session. 

- Video footage delivery must be stricter, maximum of 2 days to allow some editing.

- It saddens me how much nitpicking we have on miniscule details, while the score is fully legit,
   sportsmanship is hard to find. Either we go full retard and start even blocking submissions for 
   stupid  stuff like wrong setup picture etc... The choice is yours...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Yes R15 would have been a better pick, other lessons learned so far:

- too much drama for the Bios rule; we are referring to the retail version number so we need to 
  rephrase this rule in the future. HWBots intent was to prevent that for some competitions like G.Skill...

For visibility as its the 2nd comp in 4 months that this is happening (with a mini cheating incident in between) @sergmann & @Bullshooter

PS. for the gazillion time; you have been around for years and know the bigger part of the active community.
Going on the back of someone to accuse of him cheating to another group of ocers + report *after* a stage is over in hope to eliminate competition (especially considering the reasoning being invalid) looks weak.

The more you keep doing it (even if it isn't involving me/us) the more I will call you out for it.

PS #2 Since we provided video proof of different SP for stage 1 without it being required (uninterrupted video from score to bios); it would be in the spirit of the competition & sportsmanlike conduct for you guys to do the same for stage 4. 

• Like 3

@fireKill

If I'm already mentioned by name :).

I have no problem with not breaking the rules about hardware sharing or availability/download of the programs and bioses you use for comp. If everyone follows these rules, fair competition works.

Like you, I also delivered a video for microcode because it is not visible in the MM tool.
Ever since Corsair Comp, I've been meticulous about making sure the programs and bios we use for comps are online. Assuming someone is using a "special" bios with more futures isn't nice either ;)

I don't think this is the right place to discuss it either, let's go back to the OC and have a beer together when we get a chance.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sergmann said:

@fireKill

If I'm already mentioned by name :).

I have no problem with not breaking the rules about hardware sharing or availability/download of the programs and bioses you use for comp. If everyone follows these rules, fair competition works.

Like you, I also delivered a video for microcode because it is not visible in the MM tool.
Ever since Corsair Comp, I've been meticulous about making sure the programs and bios we use for comps are online. Assuming someone is using a "special" bios with more futures isn't nice either ;)

I don't think this is the right place to discuss it either, let's go back to the OC and have a beer together when we get a chance.

All bios & microcodes used are official and available online.
Nothing special / unavailable to others was used and it was all done by the participants. Additionally, there were no more or less features added as its a simple ucode swap (its even visible on cpuz valid link).
Its basic knowledge that has been around since z170 bios modding to support new cpus + z490 era for the performance gains on 32M (removal of ucode).

Simple guide can be found here and it takes less than a minute to get it done:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/12900k-patching-older-ucode-to-restore-avx512.1796070/

The exact same topic was raised during Corsair comp (adding avx ucode) so you were aware that this is totally ok; don't understand what changed now.

Last but not least; I am totally fine to have a proper discussion as long as we don't get pinged about complaints, accusations that carry no proof (flashing gskill mems with corsair spd for which we also provided video proof - which again was brought up after the comp was completed) and about people talking behind our backs in future occasions.

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Like 2

I'm not in first place l, therefore competition sucks and is obviously broken.  

I don't even think hw sharing should be an issue at all. Especially with how the stages were laid out. 

Stage 1 had some tweaks cli etc mem timings 

Stage 2 needed os tweaks mem timings ucode play and waza

Stage 3 benefits those that don't procrastinate and persevere. 

Stage 4 benefits best cpu and some tweaking. 

Something for everyone imo 

• Like 3

We're always open for improvements for future competitions. Albrecht and me try our best to find a frame for competitions that is both fun and challenging. 

What I'd like to see is more appreciation within the community. Right now it feels like whoever is first and maybe found a loophole or tweak will get bashed. Albrecht and me received so many messages during the last few weeks and I'd say at least 90% were completely unnecessary.

Just be happy for a moment that Intel is here to support our community in such a great way and see a chance to have a good time. We obviously see if things could be improved and you can be sure that for the next competition we will also try to make things more clear so everyone is on the same page.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sergmann said:

@Leeghoofd

Windows 10 was required in every stage, in the last stage there is nothing of it. Are all OS versions allowed now or not? 
Otherwise, it causes confusion if this has been noted in all other stages and not now.

In general rules it says win 10 only. Goes for all stages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2