HWBOT Community Forums

Team Cup 2022 Planning Thread

So I've noticed that with previous comps where there was a planning thread Alby often basically uses all the ideas in thread and still has to make some up. So I decided to sit down with several other benchers and try to come up with as big a list of ideas as possible. Anyways here it is and hopefully it inspires others to come up with even more ideas so Alby has plenty to choose from. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dq3v4Du_cSHn5QfNBVSN47CtWLMpdzPD-iNAxPTs43M/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

First order of business I guess would be to decide if we keep the DDR/2/3/4 format and add DDR5 as another sub-comp or is it time to restructure? i'm not sure what's the best approach but I think it needs to be discussed.

I feel like full on DDR5 stage wouldn't be a good idea this year because there will likely only be one platform from one manufacturer eligible, but i am in favour of doing some DDR5 stuff, just not nearly as much as the other 4 mem types.

• Crew
1 hour ago, Mr.Scott said:

Lets see more older hardware and some oddball stuff.

Old hw and oddball - I'm all in for it! I don't like when you start to improvise and think of an unusual setup but it's called cutting the corners and gets prohibited. I personally think that weird rigs is part of the fun. Unlike running tens of same configs.

Edited by Antinomy
  • Like 4

Here's my input. While I kind of like that the Intel DDR3 stage is a relatively uncommon LGA 1156 socket stage, could an alternative option be some sort of benchmark that is something like "4 submissions with different core counts", potentially excluding Coffee Lake and/or Xeons? You have the plenty of common dual and quad core CPUs, but then you also kind of force the need to use one of the HEDT platforms like X58 and X79 for their 6-core i7 options, and then for the 1-core, teams would then need to just source a G440/G460/G465/G470 (they're not particularly expensive or hard to find).

Or, perhaps, something similar in one of the TBA stages for DDR3 Memory stages, rather than AMD DDR3? Perhaps something like a "4 submissions from different Intel sockets" or something, again possibly excluding Coffee Lake. I'm not sure if there's some benchmark that scales nicely with memory bandwidth, such that the triple and quad channel configurations from X58 and X79 would be beneficial over the standard dual channel configurations, while also not explicitly requiring them (because there are enough different Intel sockets using DDR3).

I was just trying to think of ways to maybe try to get the older Intel HEDT platforms into the mix.

43 minutes ago, mr.paco said:

I do know its not very popular

Any chance of adding a Multi-Socket CPU stage or two? Legacy &/or modern, Intel &/or AMD to allow Xeons & Opterons to play too ?

But must be ran with hardware on hand not via remote

Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I don't mind playing with my 2011-1 e7 xeon box. 

• Like 1