HWBOT Community Forums

Team Cup 2022 Planning Thread

• Crew
5 hours ago, mickulty said:

Brace for a long one.

Comments about the AMD AGP stage, which needs it own section:

• The AMD AGP is fine.    Changed Mobo socket to S754

Comments about benchmark/hardware selection:

• Requiring 4 scores seems really excessive for the Intel LGA1156 stage, it's a relatively niche platform, I'd suggest 2 in line with eg AMD DDR2 GPU. Dropped to 3
  • Is Intel 3DMark Vantage CPU score DDR4 intended to be one score per gen, or just i5s only?  One score per gen would be good.     Its per core, so one kaybe, one skylake,...
  • Is DDR5 iGPU really intended to be x1 score?  3 scores are needed in other DDR5 categories.  I suppose many people will have -KF or non-iGPU boards but you'd expect at least 2? I configred for  4 scores per GPU core (no clue where you see one) , so you will need locked or mobile CPUs to make 4 scores.
  • Is GPUPI 1B on AMD CPUs for the DDR4 stage even memory bound?  Conventionally GPUPI isn't.  If a benchmate-based memory sensitive benchmark is desired there's always good old ycruncher.  This could be swapped with the Intel CPU DDR5 stage. Swapped for 32M, CPU clock limit 4005Mhz
  • I'm slightly disappointed there's no max mem clock stage on any platform  but the current stages look fun so I wouldn't want to suggest scrapping any of them.
  • GPUPI 3.3 32B on geforce 900 series is a 15+ minute benchmark.  I'm not complaining, but just as long as you're aware. I am
  • I'm a big fan of the use of unique video card cores, rather than unique specific models, for the iGPU section.  Had to get at least one positive comment in there!
  • AMD AM3 HWBOT x265 seems like a missed opportunity to give people a reason to bench 1 core per CU FX by allowing all 4-core AMD DDR3: Let's do a Challengers for that one...

• Comments about loopholes:
  • DDR1 SuperPi 16M is going to get 4CoreDual'd unless core 2 arch is explicitly banned. Socket A,754 and 939
  • DDR3 x265 per socket is at real risk from chinese DDR3 "X99" boards, Z170, and CFL modded Z170.  Probably laptop stuff too?  It might be best to just have a socket whitelist. X79,P67 and P45 chipset only
  • Geforce 900 series (Nvidia GPUPI 3.3 32B) as configured on HWBOT includes the Titan X.  Is this intended?  I don't think it's too bad by modern GPU standards... I think its an option to finaly allow it

Things I suspect are mistakes:

• Some of the memory stages say "unique processors", some say "unique hardware", despite having the same restrictions written. Some stages are dependant on CPU socket, CPU Core, Chipset,... we can't distinct on memory.

• Thanks 3

• Crew

The competition now counts five more stages than TC 2021. Last comp was exhausting for our team. Five more stages means even harder for smaller teams that don't have like a hundred members (BTW, this is the main reason why I didn't take part in them before).
I suggest to try to keep no more than 2 submissions for most stages except maybe the easiest ones (hardware-wise). And maybe prolong the comp to end of October making it 2,5 months. And/or strip some stages.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 10:13 AM, Leeghoofd said:

Maximum 6-core CPUs, Xeon CPUs allowed

On 7/14/2022 at 10:32 AM, TASOS said:

Single cpu socket boards please.

I dont want to see "Mail Servers" benching again.

I still see those small "s" next to the word CPU.

Are you going to allow those Chinese dual socket X79 boards ?

7 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

I'll wait till you buy a board and change the rules....

?

Not buying.

I already have one ... but it never worked

*edit*

Yeah , sad story back in 2019 , paid good money for it ,even paid custom duties , arrived DOA.

It was a direct purchase through vpn and translator (without an agent) from a random Taobao shop.

Refund from a Taobao store was an unknown word back then.

Edited by TASOS
  • Sad 1

Any word on ddr5 igp dropping to 3 scores and banning mobile? I know at least one team that plans to put the bench on a flash drive and bench on best buy display pcs cause zen3+ laptops are so op they don't need to be Oc'd to demolish Alder lake desktop. I'd prefer if we didn't have any stages that weren't about overclocking. 

Be a good idea to ban threadripper for the amd superpi 32m stage so we don't give an advantage to people who can afford chagal but that's a less big deal. 

Also I think you mentioned in a comment in this thread that the intent for pyprime ddr5 was that they would need to be different core counts but don't see it on rules page yet. 

Few rules I'd like to ask for clarification on:

- DDR3 memory stage: "Only use motherboards using X79, P67, P45 chipset." Are Z68/Z75/Z77 and X48/790i intended to be excluded?

- IGP DDR3 stage: "Only make submissions with a socket Integrated (Chipset) videocard." I assume the "Chipset" is a pasting mistake from DDR1/2. I don't mind bringing out the 890GX ;) but no on-chipset DDR3 GPU is > DX10.x AFAIK.

- NVIDIA GPU (500-series): "Only use motherboards using nForce 680i SLI, nForce 650i SLI, nForce 650i Ultra, nForce 680a SLI, nForce 750a SLI, nForce 750i SLI, nForce 780a SLI, nForce 780i SLI chipset." Are 5xx, NF4, and GeForce variants (8x00, 9x00, etc.) intentionally excluded? If not, it'd be clearer to say "NVIDIA DDR2 motherboards only" as that would still keep out 790i and most 980a.

• Crew
On 7/20/2022 at 4:35 AM, yosarianilives said:

Any word on ddr5 igp dropping to 3 scores and banning mobile? I know at least one team that plans to put the bench on a flash drive and bench on best buy display pcs cause zen3+ laptops are so op they don't need to be Oc'd to demolish Alder lake desktop. I'd prefer if we didn't have any stages that weren't about overclocking. 

Be a good idea to ban threadripper for the amd superpi 32m stage so we don't give an advantage to people who can afford chagal but that's a less big deal. 

Also I think you mentioned in a comment in this thread that the intent for pyprime ddr5 was that they would need to be different core counts but don't see it on rules page yet. 

are there DDR5 AMD Laptops ? added core count in the limitation rules , however the compo configuration was setup fine.

• Like 1

• Crew
57 minutes ago, MachineLearning said:

Few rules I'd like to ask for clarification on:

- DDR3 memory stage: "Only use motherboards using X79, P67, P45 chipset." Are Z68/Z75/Z77 and X48/790i intended to be excluded?

- IGP DDR3 stage: "Only make submissions with a socket Integrated (Chipset) videocard." I assume the "Chipset" is a pasting mistake from DDR1/2. I don't mind bringing out the 890GX ;) but no on-chipset DDR3 GPU is > DX10.x AFAIK.

- NVIDIA GPU (500-series): "Only use motherboards using nForce 680i SLI, nForce 650i SLI, nForce 650i Ultra, nForce 680a SLI, nForce 750a SLI, nForce 750i SLI, nForce 780a SLI, nForce 780i SLI chipset." Are 5xx, NF4, and GeForce variants (8x00, 9x00, etc.) intentionally excluded? If not, it'd be clearer to say "NVIDIA DDR2 motherboards only" as that would still keep out 790i and most 980a.

- yes let us focus for once on these chipset based motherboards only...

- Changed Cloudgate to Vantage

-Yes that would be ideal, but this way the compo engine doesn't pickup any faulty submissions, I have to set it up as is, I  added popular Nforce 5xx series...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

are there DDR5 AMD Laptops ? added core count in the limitation rules , however the compo configuration was setup fine.

I don't think they're necessarily easy to get ahold of, but they exist and all Rembrandt (Zen3+ mobile) laptops use LP/DDR5:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17166/amd-announces-ryzen-6000-mobile-cpus-for-laptops-zen3-on-6nm-with-rdna2-graphics

^ note how extensively the iGPU has been improved... Yos brings up a great point IMO.

One example in the wild: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-wqxga-120hz-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ddr5-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6700s-1tb-pcie-4-0-ssd/6494638.p?skuId=6494638

Apparently on display at a local store near me.

17 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

- yes let us focus for once on these chipset based motherboards only...

- Changed Cloudgate to Vantage

-Yes that would be ideal, but this way the compo engine doesn't pickup any faulty submissions, I have to set it up as is, I  added popular Nforce 5xx series...

Thanks for the response and clarification. So, it'll be on-motherboard IGPs only for the IGP DDR3 category?

• 2 weeks later...