HWBOT Community Forums

safedisk - Core i9 13900K (8P) @ 8441MHz - 6sec 850ms PiFast

flanker

4 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

I don't think LHe results should get points, what does a session cost, like 20,000$? Fine to have them on the rankings but shouldn't get points if no one can even get close to beating it.

In case you're interested, I dug through the archives and found the helium invoice from the when we hosted the liquid helium event in Taipei during Computex 2017. I don't know what the rate is today, but back then we paid TW$150K ~ US$5K for 200L. I think this session we only had 100L.

Maybe the original plan was to purchase 2x 4090 for 3D benching but that didn't fit the budget ?

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Massman said:

In case you're interested, I dug through the archives and found the helium invoice from the when we hosted the liquid helium event in Taipei during Computex 2017. I don't know what the rate is today, but back then we paid TW$150K ~ US$5K for 200L. I think this session we only had 100L.

Maybe the original plan was to purchase 2x 4090 for 3D benching but that didn't fit the budget ?

image.png

3 points:

1. As you know, inflation has been rampant in the last 5 years. Also LHe price has gone up on top of that so it really wouldn't surprise me if the price as doubled since then.
  2. Even if we take the price as 5,000$ / 100L, that is still 100 time more than I pay per liter of LN2. Not only that, the amount of benching you can do per liter of LN2 is more than per liter of LHe.
  3. You point about GPUs is a silly one because they are reuseable and resellable, sometimes even for a profit during a crypto boom. LHe literally turns into thin air.
Edited by unityofsaints

• Crew
3 hours ago, Massman said:

image.png

And what a great but super stressfull event it had to be for the overclockers as everything had to be perfect, failure was not an option as the worldwide press was there to witness the benching. On top of that they nailed it while benching outside in the moist conditions of Taipei City!

Great footage PJ, you are still my hero! The stress just drips from the screen, although Jon still managed to somehow hide it well 

Fingers crossed people will be less sour in 2023

• Like 1