HWBOT Community Forums

Core i7 - the disappearing memory channels

Fingers crossed for ya :D

idea (not tested yet) this gets worse from 933MHz.

Thanks ;) yeah, its kinda the same deal here, limits for me are around 800 MHz but depending pretty much on the board. Or at least so it seems

No luck under cold :(

Noted a strange thing on the Asrock tho - it detects three ram sticks installed (bios post reads "triple-channel" as opposed to "dual-channel" when only running two), but it still will only count "4095" MB.

I've managed to get 970MHz RAM to boot fine in tri-channel mode but so far I dont have the stability (might well be voltage). Once it knocks itself down to 2-channel, stability is much better. Also appears to be more likely to boot into tri-channel mode from a cold boot before the chip has risen up to stable running temp

I need sooo much more test time... the stuff I have to get done just stretches off into the future :(

• 3 months later...

Its happening with me too...3 different Ram kits used, 2 different motherboards and 2 processors.......

Ram kits are , Corsair 1600Mhz CL9, Gskill Trident CL6 and OCZ 1600Mhz CL8, CPUS are i7 950 and 920, mobos are MSI eclipse and DFI UT4? or whatever is their top model....

On MSI all 3 kits would only show up as 2048MB or 4096MB under BIOS, though BIOS does show all 3 channels being used, CPUZ will read all 6GB but Windows would say only 2048 or 4096MB usable (whatever BIOS shows).

On DFI, gskill shows up as full 6GB but the rest of the kit would come up again as 2048MB or 4096MB....

Sadly didnt even knew this issue existed because I use a 32bit Win7/XP and do not need the extra memory anyways, till a few days ago a friend came up to troubleshoot his DFI mobo...

Its happening with me too...3 different Ram kits used, 2 different motherboards and 2 processors.......

Ram kits are , Corsair 1600Mhz CL9, Gskill Trident CL6 and OCZ 1600Mhz CL8, CPUS are i7 950 and 920, mobos are MSI eclipse and DFI UT4? or whatever is their top model....

On MSI all 3 kits would only show up as 2048MB or 4096MB under BIOS, though BIOS does show all 3 channels being used, CPUZ will read all 6GB but Windows would say only 2048 or 4096MB usable (whatever BIOS shows).

On DFI, gskill shows up as full 6GB but the rest of the kit would come up again as 2048MB or 4096MB....

Sadly didnt even knew this issue existed because I use a 32bit Win7/XP and do not need the extra memory anyways, till a few days ago a friend came up to troubleshoot his DFI mobo...

• 1 month later...

My X58 Sli Evga has this problem I am going to buy a new chip. The first 3 slots out from the chip don't work at all. I tried two different sets of memory chips. the bottom three slots work fine but give only dual channel. slots 3,5,6 work fine but 1,2,4 are dead. I have 6 GB of Mushkin Redline in slots 3,5,6.

Thanks fore the thread

You must be using 64 bit OS to see more than 4GB in windows.