HWBOT Community Forums

Formula One Overclocking Contest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been taking part on every OC competition so far. I have been quite succesfull in those.

Why in earth I would like to step away, if there is some new competition like this? If I am invited, that is because I have been active in competitions. I have met Nick very briefly, so this first season is not about picking friends to it.

I have few question to you guys:

Why you always feel, that you are left out?

Who have insulted you or done some hostile acts towards you?

Why do you think, that you guys should be in the contest instead of some other guys who are not complaining?

Where does your attitide come from?

I would like to understand what have gone wrong with you guys. I really need to know why you are making all these things so hard and why can't you accept any decision which is made?

I have to say, that I am totally tired of this nagging. If you have any self respect, you will know when to shut up.

i only have 3 things that i post on for the most part

1. vapor phase cooling

2. single gpu benching

3. my bench team Benchtec UK

Benchteams receive there support from manufactures throw exposure @ hwbot and @ world events

Why you always feel, that you are left out?

@ Hwbot we have no representative here to voice our opinions on hwbot direction

Who have insulted you or done some hostile acts towards you?

you don't listen you just tell people what you think and that is the end of it as far as you are concerned

Why do you think, that you guys should be in the contest instead of some other guys who are not complaining?

6th place in the world rankings for an indvidual (sacha35's)

http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/sacha35

10th in the world for hardware master (jabski)

http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/jabski

both members of benchtec UK a (british team) currently 5th in the world

http://www.hwbot.org/hallOfFame.do?t...licationId=all

Where does your attitude come from?

This is instilled into us from birth and is why we do well as a nation

I would like to understand what have gone wrong with you guys. I really need to know why you are making all these things so hard and why can't you accept any decision which is made?

if you listened to us more you will find there is a meeting place where we will agree more

Edited by bazx

The rules do look a bit strange to OC'ers, but WE don't decide who should be invited etc etc. However, if there is no qualification etc - just handpicking of benchers - it's not like it's a competition that decides who is the best overclocker out there or something;) As long as no-one claims that that's what it is, then it's fine by me:p

Hopefully this "test round" will succeed so the REAL stuff can come to life later on.

Here's a bit more info for those who don't understand.

In order to do this for maximum commercial impact we need...

The manufacturers ALL onboard FROM THE START. The key manufacturers are almost all based in Taiwan. I know many/most/probably all of the top product managers personally. They tell me who their most important markets are. They tell me that Australia sells more high-end motherboards than China and is a test bed for products for the USA/Europe quite often. It's a hugely important market. Team Australia is always at global live overclocking finals too. Always - they are very well known in Asia and incredibly popular there.

Also note that many marketing people DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT HWBOT is. At all. I'm serious. They DO know who the overclockers are that win their live events and keep showing up in their countries. These are more important TO THEM than any other competition. Many manufacturers look on overclockers simply as gamers. I know, I deal with them all the time face to face.

I am not saying I agree with it, but that is the way it is.

Like it or not... the UK is a very minor market for most motherboard makers. They don't sell as many high-end products their as you'd think. The Nordic markets are considered more important by many of them. This is what they tell me from head office.

Consequently, we can't have some kind of super-fair qualifying contest because it won't capture the imagination of the industry and hence will not work. The first two people I went to were EVGA and Gigabyte - the two brands that care most about overclocking. To get their interest I had to say they were in it... not having to qualify against a load of teams that only overclockers had ever heard of.

We needed every super star we could get... and I'm sorry, but being 5th on HWBot simply doesn't register with these people. At all. I'm not saying I agree with it. But it's completely true. They know who wins their live events though.

As for saying, 'where are the other nationalities'... Japan is on a different planet for all manufacturers. I'd love to have them in it. But it's a totally different market to the rest of the world and the manufacturers universally agree on that.

Hopefully now you're getting the idea as to why teams had to be invited rather than qualify FOR THIS SEASON ONLY.

Tom's Hardware is in there because it wanted to be and is a major pusher of overclocking. There will be lots of coverage on this tournament purely because they are involved. We have already had requests from the likes of TweakTown (Cam is my very good friend), Atomic magazine and others but they will all have to wait. Tom's has put on major competitions around the world and deserves to be in season one. It also takes care of having German entrants.

Remember, people look at the flags of the drivers rather than the manufacturers.

Also note, that after all this 'discussion' Team MSI will now contain two out of 'Benchtec plus Deanzo' (NZ). They're in discussions now.

I think we've got an excellent spread of nationalities now.

I hope this helps clarify a few issues and explains why there is a lack of democracy here, but that it's essential to hit the ground running... and soon.

Thanks for explaining this which makes more sense and probably should of been the first post in this thread so as to not confuse folks/oc'ers.

This event is about promoting manufacturers through overclockers/oc'ing - hence the formula one title . Manufacturers are the ones choosing who's competing like F1 racing manufacturer's choose who drives their cars. Perceived skill from manufacturer's point of view.

Edited by eva2000

Invitation only type of things happen all the time. I would have loved to try and qualify for GOOC 2009 in LA, but it was invite only. Granted im not ranked 6th or whatever, but thats not the point. The point is the manufacturers who will be supplying tons of gear, prizes, etc want to pick the oc'ers for THE FIRST SEASON. Next time around there will be qualifiers so why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch? Lets put our full support and best effort behind it, and see where it takes us!

One thing I don't fully get though:

Since manufacturers don't know Hwbot, but only the people who win in live events, why are people assigned to teams rather than having the manufacturers choose the people they want on their team?

It's a concept, like every concept. With it's goods, it's wrongs and so on. It's not the most important thing for overclockers and it's not going to be the last competition. It's a manufacturer's competition, it may have a great succes, it may fail, we'll live and see how it's developing. If the second year is with qualifiers, that is a good thing and everybody is looking forward to that I guess. Untill then I am really curious to see some of the titan's clashing, after the names I have seen on the first page. BWHAHAHA this will be nice to see!!!

It's a concept, like every concept. With it's goods, it's wrongs and so on. It's not the most important thing for overclockers and it's not going to be the last competition. It's a manufacturer's competition, it may have a great succes, it may fail, we'll live and see how it's developing. If the second year is with qualifiers, that is a good thing and everybody is looking forward to that I guess. Untill then I am really curious to see some of the titan's clashing, after the names I have seen on the first page. BWHAHAHA this will be nice to see!!!

I'm a 100% with you Monstru :)

It's all about marketing.

Manufacturers have the final word in WHO should ride their hardware.

If you want in on a series like this, make friends with a manufaturer/team that has a spot. Pay the buggers to chose you, if participation is so vital!

I'm not for having this sort of competition open to "hwbot teams" or "enthusiast forums" at all. It is all about having the best manufacturers putting the best of their hardware in the hands of the guys they see best suited to give them the desired results, or that in them selves are so good at putting the brand on display in a crowd of other brands that it warrants a chair on the team.

Once this ball is rolling, in a season or three, there should be no invitations, no qualifiers, only a steep participation fee and a long list of teams/benchers that wait for one of the established teams/benchers to drop out so there will be room for them.

Stop whining, aproach the teams that DO have a spot and make your inquireies there. If you're good enough to deserve a spot on one of the teams, it shouldn't be too dificult to present your case to one of the team-owners?

Hi,

I don't get something :

- Obviously it is strictly marketting

- Top 10/20 on HWbot is not taken in consideration concerning clockers, teams or country

- Maybe I am wrong but HWbot is to me a kind of Bible concerning rankings in O/C

In fact I really don't see the interest of your thread in this forum except annoying a lot of top benchers/teams! (not me I am too bad :P)

quick update to an earlier post

6th place in the world rankings for an individual (sacha35's)

http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/sacha35

10th in the world for hardware master (jabski)

http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/jabski

both members of benchtec UK a (British team) currently 5th in the world

http://www.hwbot.org/hallOfFame.do?t...licationId=all

In the individual world rankings our very own sacha35 takes 4th

that's up from 6th place in the world rankings for an individual

well done Paul great deal of work there mate to become the second highest Ranked European with Asus UK

http://www.hwbot.org/hallOfFame.do?type=member

paul4th.gif

Edited by bazx

The way i see this, it may be called F1, but that's not really what is happening at all. Look at an f1 car and say it looks like a normal car. However, look at the hardware and all you see is normal hardware. Some people are sponsored, some are not. The most exotic stuff you get is ES parts, which really ultimately reminds me of an entirely different type of racing. That type of racing is Grand Prix. This event in no way resembles F1, it is pure grand prix style, with companies promoting their actual PRODUCTION products by suping them up. When you look at a grand prix car, you know exactly what car it is, even if it isn't technically introduced to production yet, and companies cherry pick parts for sponsored drivers. But in grand prix there is always the GT class, open to anyone with the money to get into the race. They drive their own suped up cars, not parts given to them by manufacturers (shelby after all made his name with probably the most infamous GT car ever, the cobra). Since this competition really resembles grand prix infinitly more than F1 it seems to me that having a GT type class only seems fair. And heck, even if you want to make it like F1 they still have a qualification round. I'm not dissing this program, and i'm from the US so i'm represented, and i know i'm probably not up to being one of the top benchers, but there are plenty of other people who could come out of the GT class and pwn things up like the '64 lemans with the introduction of the AC Shelby Cobra MKII (placed 4th) to the GT class.

• Crew

with all due respect, popping up on the top10 rankings for 30 seconds doesnt put you in the top 10 overclockers in the world.... half of the names i would put in my top ten have never even posted on hwbot!

i would love to see everyone be able to participate in every contest, but at the end of the day there are only going to be limited places.. and not everyone is going to be satisfied with the decisions that are made... i understand that the whole concept is based around religation, so over the course of 2-3 seasons, this competition is going to even itself out to where it should be... unfortunatly in 2-3 seasons you might be retired or no longer at your peak... this is how f1 or english premier league works though...

just my opinion

I agree with what pro said here. Just becuase you ranked in top 10 on hwbot doesnt entitle you to anything. Hwbot isnt setting up this contest after all....

Only to some extent. HWBot has become the most trusted and impartial source for overclockers in world. It's essential that it's involved with F1 OC to keep checks and balances. It's like the UN... but with power.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Only to some extent. HWBot has become the most trusted and impartial source for overclockers in world. It's essential that it's involved with F1 OC to keep checks and balances. It's like the UN... but with power.

So true Nick so true ;) , so who will keep checks and balances now :confused: