HWBOT Community Forums

Mainboard reference clock submissions

I prefer Reference Clock submissions to be ranked...  

25 members have voted

1. 1. I prefer Reference Clock submissions to be ranked...

• ...by motherboard model (like now)
    • ...by chipset

I came up with a random thought that it'd be better to rank Reference Clock submissions not my mainboard model like now, but by chipset.

My arguments:

1) There are no individual rankings for different graphic card models (GTX580 Matrix, GTX580 Lightning ...) nor memory models (Geil DDR3-2133, Geil DDR3-2000 ...), why are mainboards different?

2) By merging multiple P55 or P67 categories into one, pushing reference clock will be more rewarding in terms of hardware points if you're really pushing it.

What do others think? (please vote and/or post)

I had this idea talking with Sam on msn way before he opened the thread, not that anyone care :D

The idea of dual ranking is complicated for the engine imo.

But, I think this can work:

-By motherboards as Hardware Ranking

-By chipset as Global Ranking (Means global points ?)

(-Possibility to add a third ranking like WR ranking for overall frequency ?)

This is the way I see

It's mostly the chipset that determines the overclock I think
that's the main point I'm trying to make, compare it with graphic cards.

Every manufacturer works their solution around the same chip and competes with others ... but why in case with graphic cards the ranks are "by the base chip" and with motherboards they're "by each individual solution" ?

that's the main point I'm trying to make, compare it with graphic cards.

Every manufacturer works their solution around the same chip and competes with others ... but why in case with graphic cards the ranks are "by the base chip" and with motherboards they're "by each individual solution" ?

One reason could be that motherboard models are easy to spot in CPUZ, but with GPUs you can't tell if a card is a lightning or reference (i think).

• 3 weeks later...
It's mostly the chipset that determines the overclock I think, so it makes more sense to sort by chipset instead of socket (kinda silly to have G43 and P45 in the same ranking for example).

I've discovered that's true to an extent but the CPU itself affects this too.

We know some chipsets do span more than one socket type and of course a newer socket CPU has a good chance of beating one from an older socket.

This is where I believe lumping all results from a given chipset will result in the newest CPU's on boards that can run a given chipset will tend to outdo those systems with older model CPUs running the same chipset.

The NF3-250 would be a good example of this - Most of these are indeed Socket 754 based but there are a few 939 based systems that use this chipset too and with the 939's better OC'ing capabilities, it would stand a very good chance of dominating this ranking. This would create a situation of the 939's owning this chipset class outright.

The very fact a 939's IMC is inherently better than a 754's will allow it a good chance to do better overall since RAM speeds come into play when doing this kind of benching. As we know there are only so many dividers available to use but when you are running the lowest divider for max FSB speeds, RAM stability comes into play and a 939's better IMC would then become a factor. With a really good set of sticks and a good 939 CPU such as a San Diego chip, it's almost a given the 939 would win everytime vs a 754 with the same RAM.

One more thing is that a newer model board based on a given chipset will probrably have more and better options for tweaking in the first place. More options normally means more ways of fine tuning your system and with the fact a newer socket CPU has a good chance of beating an older socket CPU anyway, to me it's clear for the sake of fair competiton there is no need to change it from how it is now.

This is why I believe the way it is now is the way it should remain. Allowing a crossover of CPU models with the same chipsets will create a "Ringer" situation for who's going to do well or who's not.

Edited by Bones