HWBOT Community Forums

My (bad) experience with OC Orange

DonMarkoni

I'm having... hmm... experience with this board...

It is very good so far, seem like CPU's need less VTT and vDIMM to run Elpida Hypers at 4000/2000/7-7-7-20-1T. :cool:

But, it also killed my favorite CPU :( OK, it might have died anyway, but it's like borrowing a car to a friend and it breaks while he was driving. You will not hold him responsible, but it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Booted at 5GHz at 1.55V. Set vCore at 1.6V, pressed Multi+ once and made CPU-Z s/s at 5.2GHz. Restarted.

Booted at 5GHz. Then set vCore at 1.645V (my 990X ran benchmarks many times at under 1.65V), then I pressed Multi+ button twice. Took CPU-Z s/s at 5.4GHz.

Rebooted. Noticed that vCore is 1.7V. :eek: Set vCore again at 1.645 and noticed that it does jump at almost 1.7V (checked with DMM). Rebooted.

CPU worked next few hours, while I was trying to make it run at 4.2/4.0/2.0@7-7-7-20-1T unsuccessfully, then it just stopped at C1. Dead.

1961756.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=1030&stc=1&d=1314737780attachment.php?attachmentid=1031&stc=1&d=1314737780

use stock frequency...its only needed when you are at the max load say 6ghz vantage.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Gigabyte boards do have a bad reputation of killing CPUs.

But you were asking for trouble yourself - running 1.65 vcore with ambient cooling

Yeah, I know, but never expected trouble around that corner.

I was very cautious about VTT, as it is known to be higher then expected on this board. But it is always higher.

vCore was spot on/slightly higher, and than jumped much higher.

I know and accept the risk of overclocking, but this IS a problem with board.

Oh man sorry to hear that, bad luck there :(. It really sucks losing a good chip I know how you feel!

You were playing with fire at those volts and cooling. Gigabyte boards set vcore a bit higher once you start going past 1.65, if you had a play with other boards in the past this jump would be familiar. It only happens around 1.65 in bios. This is normal. You really should have had subzero cooling for anything past 1.6 mate, I wouldnt stuff around next time no matter what board you use.

use stock VRM unless you specifically see an improvement. I very much doubt you will see anything change on standard cooling. It might make a difference with some CPUs subzero however. Always test extensively with stock on Gigabyte first though and then gradually work your way up that's my advice.

Edited by dinos22

Oh man sorry to hear that, bad luck there :(. It really sucks losing a good chip I know how you feel!

You were playing with fire at those volts and cooling. Gigabyte boards set vcore a bit higher once you start going past 1.65, if you had a play with other boards in the past this jump would be familiar. It only happens around 1.65 in bios. This is normal. You really should have had subzero cooling for anything past 1.6 mate, I wouldnt stuff around next time no matter what board you use.

use stock VRM unless you specifically see an improvement. I very much doubt you will see anything change on standard cooling. It might make a difference with some CPUs subzero however. Always test extensively with stock on Gigabyte first though and then gradually work your way up that's my advice.

Thanks, and thanks for the heads up, I'll remember it good, well it will be carved in my memory for sure.

I'm just sorry it never made the LN2 run, as I was planing one soon. This board just asks for it. :D

I was just playing with VRM freq, it's low again.

1.65V, ht enabled and benching. That's a dangerous combination on air cooling.

You got balls, sir.

Tell it to the girls, as I almost feel like loosing one. :D

I killed a good 980x once because vcore was still on 1.8v after benching with LN².

Forgot to clear the bios and booted it up on air.

Cpu was still alive but all CPU intensive tasks did not work.

Could not even get Wprime to work at stock.

Sorry to hear that. I hope mine would boot, so I can tell it's not dead completely, just crippled, veteran... :o

Here it is... 990X... Preparing for the last ride... :D

18082011735small.jpg

Well, it's not all black. As I said, this is very good board...

Memory timings as on s/s (RTL +2 +2) VTT=1.355V / 1.380V actual, vDIMM=1.72 / 1.715 actual.

It is 0.04V less VTT and 0.06V less vDIMM then on R3E. Compare link here

vCore=1.4375 / 1.4380V actual, 0.045 less then on R3E. This 980X is not bad at all. :)

gbx58aoc9.jpg