HWBOT Community Forums

I'm officially done with X58

Massman

No, I don't like that either.

[nostalgic-mode]"Oh, where are the FSB-tweaking days ..."[/nostalgic-mode]

Going to play with Llano for a while ... maybe that'll cheer me up. Or not.

Llano brings more fun than SB imho. :)

Or, let's say it's less annoying, it's a different kind of fun!

The passwords here, are "compromise" and "balance", a new ground to learn about!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just had my last session with X58. Got extremely annoyed and angry by the behavior of this platform.

Waiting for the next architecture to arrive.

welcome to last week - sold my RIIIE 2 month ago (gt even earlier)...this platform could get you some nice results but has always been quite unreproducable and -predictable mostly. I hated it from start to end ^^

having more fun with my 8800 gts + sb currently ;)

i can't say much about GT cause only tried it a couple of times with a crappy CPU sample but i enjoyed a lot 1366 + bloomfield CPU + Elpida Hyper and sp 32m.

that was alot better than running a 7 GHz full pot AMD with crappy performance or buy a shitload of bitches without even be able to select from good batches.

i really hope the new intel stuff will be at least a bit similar to 1366 and as much as possible different from bitch crap with no BLCK clocking and its ridiculous multiplier wall.

Fun cpu's to OC becasue its a challenge........

920 DO

AMD phenom II X2 550 (non BE)

LLano ES ( if you lock multi to retail )

939 just about all of them

Preety much anything that has a high enough multi to make it fun but low enough to still make it a challenge............etc something that the finest of tuning can and will change the outcome.

Everything else is just a binning game where money just flat out ruins the fun and sport of it.........

Funnest vga's to clock 8800gt 512 and 4850, cards that binning just for a good core means shit, quality of mods and amount of mods and ram play a huge role as well.......

Edited by chew*

Funnest vga's to clock 8800gt 512 and 4850, cards that binning just for a good core means shit, quality of mods and amount of mods and ram play a huge role as well.......

Had 8800 GT last week-end and it wasn't too bad (even my vmod fell of twice :P ) I love 8800 GTS as they are also giving nice scores even with singlestage. And yes you need to mod them :D Spended some time yesterday and it always gives a good feeling seeing G92 with higher vgpu successfully modded :D I whish the latest cpus would scale that predictable...

tt9ktoi8.jpg

http://hwbot.org/image/652920.jpg

I really love X58. There are some minor things which are annoying, but oc is fun with it.

Personally SB platform have taken a lot of motivation out of this hobby. It is so boring, that even gradmothers can do it.

But, I hope bulldozer will bring some light to overclocking. Full pot, 8GHz 8 cores and it is time for some 3D loving :)

• Like 1

I really love X58. There are some minor things which are annoying, but oc is fun with it.

Personally SB platform have taken a lot of motivation out of this hobby. It is so boring, that even gradmothers can do it.

But, I hope bulldozer will bring some light to overclocking. Full pot, 8GHz 8 cores and it is time for some 3D loving :)

Bit optimistic about 8 gig 8 err I mean 4 cores 8 clusters through 3d there aren't you....

If you want a difficult platform, try the SR2.

This complaining is ridiculous:D "the platform isn't bitchy enough for us overclockers"

No, it's not that isn't bitchy enough.

It's that those cpus are completely random and you have to simply change and change and change them until you get something that can hit 5,7+ ghz.

In the past there were baaad cpus and lucky cpus, but the range wasn't as wide as now.

The worst 2600k can do 5/5,1ghz, the best can do 6ghz.

With the i7-975 the worst I saw was 5,15 or 5,2, the max was 5,7 from Stummer if I'm not mistaken. :)

No, it's not that isn't bitchy enough.

It's that those cpus are completely random and you have to simply change and change and change them until you get something that can hit 5,7+ ghz.

In the past there were baaad cpus and lucky cpus, but the range wasn't as wide as now.

With the i7-975 the worst I saw was 5,15 or 5,2, the max was 5,7 from Stummer if I'm not mistaken. :)

They're also cheaper, you can buy 3 2600k's at the price of 1 990x. but 3, and you'll get at least an average chip.n If the x79 chips have similar behavior, then we have a problem. But, who knows - what if SB-E clocks like shit? We don't know yet. Seen a few 3.3ghz parts, so definately no huge clock improvement on air - that's pretty clear.

not so true - I had a chip which maxed at ~5.7, stummerwinter had "the golden egg" that could do 6 GHZ 1m easy and 32m a bit under 6 iirc. there always has been a big variety of results, that's not so new. The problem is you can't make a bad chip look better with more cold...

still: if you concentrate on old GPUs - SB is an easy platform which let's you more time for really push the GPU...I like it for that but nothing more.