HWBOT Community Forums

AMD Llano A6-3650: Problems above 120MHz FSB when using iGPU

George_o/c

Hello everybody! I jumped on the Llano wagon as well and I'm quite surprised to say the least :D I'm currently testing an A6-3650 on a Gigabyte A75M-UD2H for a review. Everything's perfect, I've learned the system and its "tricky" spots, I've already hit 2500MHz RAM with air-cooled CPU/RAM and I was about to move to SingleStage testing @ -40*C. What's my problem?

Using an 8800GT I can hit around 145MHz FSB on air-cooling, maybe a little bit more. Using the 6530D though (iGPU on A6-3650), the last stable FSB frequency is 120MHz FSB sharp, which means that GPU tops at 444MHz (stock) *+ 20% = 532MHz core clock. I've seen others on hwbot benching on air with > 140MHz FSB while still using the intergrated GPU. How is this possible? I've tried everything, from voltages and CPU/RAM multipliers to VGA RAM size, EHCI Async Data Cahce and stuff - whatever I could find @ BIOS I already tried. Can you help me out a bit? Maybe it's something I missed, I dont know... Maybe it's the fact that I use the VGA output of the UD2H and not the DVI one? I've tried PCI-Express up to 120MHz but still I can't manage to get more than 120MHz FSB using the iGPU :(

How are these guys for example manage to hit such FSB on air-cooling with the iGPU:

1) http://hwbot.org/submission/2205735_delly_3dmark_vantage___performance_radeon_hd_6530d_4632_marks

2) http://hwbot.org/submission/2198558_xoqolatl_3dmark11___performance_radeon_hd_6530d_1169_marks

3) http://hwbot.org/submission/2198114_rebelion_3dmark11___performance_radeon_hd_6530d_1066_marks

Just to clarify, I'm not questioning the above-mentioned scores. There must be some trick though for such high FSB. I find it hard that my chip's iGPU craps out at 120MHz FSB.

Edited by George_o/c

Dunno, it happened first on the asus f1a75-m pro and then on the ud4h.

To better explain, it's not that the system freezes: actually, if you could see what's going on, you'll notice that it's going straight through windows as a normal boot. But you loose image output to the monitor.

Maybe the video signal conversion from digital to analog has something to do with that... Remaining in digital does the trick. it's the only thing I could think of ;)

p.s: oh and for the record, there are reviews around the web where they say something like "fsb overclocking is limited to around 120/125mhz, so we did our test at these frequencies"... it's not quite true :D

Edited by |ron

I knew it was the VGA port because I literally tested everything else! I'll buy a VGA to DVI-D adapter and I hope that everything turns out fine. Thanks for the quick input guys :)

@Iron: Dont worry, I already knew that 120-125 is not the limit when iGPU is used. If I thought so, I wouldnt post this thread after all ;) Thanks to HWBOT database as well, because I saw all these people doing crazy FSB with iGPU and I told my self: You fail again, you are doing something terribly wrong :D

As soon as I finish my review, I'll test the A6-3650 on SS @ -40*C, and then LN2 who knows :D;)

I knew it was the VGA port because I literally tested everything else! I'll buy a VGA to DVI-D adapter and I hope that everything turns out fine. Thanks for the quick input guys :)

@Iron: Dont worry, I already knew that 120-125 is not the limit when iGPU is used. If I thought so, I wouldnt post this thread after all ;) Thanks to HWBOT database as well, because I saw all these people doing crazy FSB with iGPU and I told my self: You fail again, you are doing something terribly wrong :D

As soon as I finish my review, I'll test the A6-3650 on SS @ -40*C, and then LN2 who knows :D;)

It's a little OT, but when I read "iGPU" I thought "Oh shit, another app for the iPhone to let the wannabe ockers raise frequencies from their apple phone" :asd: :D :D

• 1 month later...
great george :)

Glad to have been of help.

Did you try it@ln2?

Not yet! Best scores I've managed and posted in the overclocking page of our review are:

3DMark Vantage Pefromance Preset Score on full air cooling

4614e9c67499c712.jpg

Max FSB - 148MHz

4614e9c6749c245e.jpg

FSB Falidation

Validation @ 148MHz FSB

4614e9c67ed194f7.png

Max RAM MHz @ SuperPi 1M

4614e9c6749cdbf4.jpg

2595MHz RAM Validation - Kingston HyperX H2O 2133MHz 2x2GB @ 1.68V

Validation @ 2595MHz RAM

4614e9c67ed27be1.png