HWBOT Community Forums

Gainward GTX 580 Phantom OC test

Massman

Hah, good. It would've been a great display of "shooting yourself in the back" on my behalf :D.

The cards are just like reference. They clock the same, they die the same. It's okay to do this with a free card (at least for me), but I wouldn't invest in a card just for the competition. Which is what most people think, I guess based on the submissions.

What you said before is true: marketers still think about overclockers as the easiest way to show the quality of a their products. I don't think there's anything wrong with the principle in itself. It is what we do. I just wish they'd give more in return that a 'lousy' $1000 which usually doesn't cover the expenses of participating. €300 for a cpu, €250 for a board and €400 for the card leaves €50 for LN2. And the return for the event is 0,0 for the community.

Oh well. Marketing :P.

Hah, good. It would've been a great display of "shooting yourself in the back" on my behalf :D.
No need to worry at all now!

Has anyone else except me & SF3D burned Gainward GTX 580 Phantom? -))

I've got many words to say about this gayish card and the contest ideology for sure. Will do that later on.

All the guys who got some results close to 11k on this babe have my respect :)

p.s. don't put more than 1.5 V on GPU (3D load) and clocks more than 1400 MHz GPU if you want to play with Gainward's piece of shi(f)t.

p.p.s. i've done everything to avoid GPU VRM overheating & other common problems. Anyway seems that the power circuit is too poor to run even at the values mentioned above. Palit did it's best.

p.p.p.s. any more sponsored cards except of Massman's for this contest? Pretty interesting to know who has got a free ticket with the event.

Gainward shipped cards to:

- me

- Giorgioprimo

- Hazzan

- Sf3d

- Elmor

- Trouffman

- Vivi

- ME4ME

I'm not sure about Miahallen. Cische is using the Palit card he bought from Giorgio which was also a free card from Palit. So, partially 'free' :P.

Ahaha -)) Next time I'll definitely have to ask to be sure there is a real competition -))

Gainward's marketing issues foolishness doubled after clearing this out. Thanks PJ!

Ahaha -)) Next time I'll definitely have to ask to be sure there is a real competition -))

Gainward's marketing issues foolishness doubled after clearing this out. Thanks PJ!

Well the contest was open to anyone and it was very much a contest of OC skill. The specific contest rules and hardware regulations are determined by the sponsors.

Note that there was also a more public friendly precision OC category in the contest where 63 different users successfully hit the score target and many more tried (252 different registered users hit within 10 3DMarks of the target).

As to the 3DMark 11 submit number as received by Futuremark, the ballpark is easy to verify as due to our current policies most results are visible to anyone on the 3dmark.com website.

K404's calculations have an error. 43 weeks times 35000 is 1.5 million submits, not 15 million.

Current benchmark submit count is 1501261 3DMark 11 results in the database, 1470951 of which are currently visible on the 3dmark.com website.

The link to the first visible submitted result is http://3dmark.com/3dm11/103

The first result within the Gainward competition timeframe is http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1740497

The last result within the contest time period is http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1893992

So, 153495 3DMark 11 results came in during the contest timeframe, 132437 of which are currently visible to anyone on 3dmark.com.

The rest are results from unsupported version 1.0.0 (after the patch was released, older 1.0.0 results are still visible), results with pirated keys, results that have been invalidated and results hidden or deleted by users.

Feel free to look around the results by changing the ID if you want some verification that there are indeed as many results as stated.

• Crew

Them results are 99.9% not submitted for participation in any of the online competitions... so that argumentation is not what we want to know...

We want to know the exact amount of submissions, submitted by users to participate for a specific competition.. And that is what should be told to the vendors... not them other numbers you proudly wave !!

And by all means it aint 500, not 5000 or any higher number you want us to believe... those are general submissions... not what we or the vendors want to know...

let me refresh your mind from a competition not so long ago...

Submission count over 18K a few days into the competition, yet only a few scores listed. And even double, triple scores by same users...

NICEFM.jpg

Some red scores submitted by me, not participating in any competition, yet they were listed in the rankings... awesome job !!

Edited by Leeghoofd