HWBOT Community Forums

SB-E 3930K/3960X Batch and Serial Numbers

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing another 60X chip. First one didn't even do DDR3-2400; this one is at least booting at DDR3-2400 :).

Okay, decent one: 5500MHz on the CPU, 1250MHz Memory.

FYI, I found there is a way to bin the CPU on air. I tested it with this CPU and it worked like I expected. What you need to do:

- go in bios and set all VRM config like you'd do for extreme OC

- run 2c2t (to save heat)

- set vcore to 1.55~1.6V

- set bclk to 100

Now, increase the CPU ratio. In the beginning, you will be able to boot straight in to OS. After a while, it will crash at OS loading (for W7, it will lock at the ball swinging moment), but when pressing the reset button, the board will reboot. This means it can run this frequency with better temps! Once you lock and pressing reset doesn't work, you've found the maximum frequency of your CPU.

In my case, I could always reset from lock-up upto 55x. With 56x, I could not reset and had to power off the entire setup. The end result was 5510MHz for my CPU under LN2.

:)

Thanks for the guide, Massman! Though since I don't have a way to go sub-zero, I can't fully test your method.

For what it's worth, I'm under water and was able to reset up to 55x. Anything higher and I had to power down/power up. Kudos to the pattern recognition and for sharing! :)

Now to see if I can get at least 5.3GHz stable.

The method is correct. Even I do it!

Good job for the community Massman

Small note: with 125 blck I get a little 'more

Okay, decent one: 5500MHz on the CPU, 1250MHz Memory.

FYI, I found there is a way to bin the CPU on air. I tested it with this CPU and it worked like I expected. What you need to do:

- go in bios and set all VRM config like you'd do for extreme OC

- run 2c2t (to save heat)

- set vcore to 1.55~1.6V

- set bclk to 100

Now, increase the CPU ratio. In the beginning, you will be able to boot straight in to OS. After a while, it will crash at OS loading (for W7, it will lock at the ball swinging moment), but when pressing the reset button, the board will reboot. This means it can run this frequency with better temps! Once you lock and pressing reset doesn't work, you've found the maximum frequency of your CPU.

In my case, I could always reset from lock-up upto 55x. With 56x, I could not reset and had to power off the entire setup. The end result was 5510MHz for my CPU under LN2.

:)

I sure hope its correct. 57x no go, 56x... reset. Now I hope to get this one chilly soon.

EDIT: 2 56x chips with this method.

Under a terribly outpowered SS (Barely kept it at 0C at idle!!), I boot 52x and knocked out a quick Wprime 32M which then took the temps to 30C... LOL so I stopped, since Im not insulated at all.....

Edited by Earthdog

Im betting the latter sadly... Luck is rarely with me... Looking forward to see if known chips exhibit the same behavior on UD7. I will be going cold (Dry Ice) with these 12/21 so I will see then.

Dear baby jebus... please let this method work for the UD7 and me be extremely lucky... PLEASE!!!!! :)

It did exhibit the same behaviors you described as far as not resetting and needing POR.

you gave me something to look forward to Massman:) (i should get my new ss from dimastech next week, as my cooler express died:(

with this method I get the windows loading screen to freeze up from 52x upwords but to 54x i can just reset with the button, with 55x and higher i have to power down.

Thats with the MSI gd65 8d