HWBOT Community Forums

Testing GIGABYTE X79-UD7 ...

Got the board in a couple of days ago, working my way through the BIOS now to get used to the board. It's the successor for the X58A-OC, so expectations are high.

Setup

- i7 3960X ES

- X79-UD7 (bios F3k/F3n)

- 4x 2GB Dominator GTX8

- GeForce 8400GS (for now)

- Silent Pro M1000 PSU

Pictures

Just a few, there are far better pictures out on teh interw3bz already so you can check out those!

SAM_0351.jpg

SAM_0349.jpg

SAM_0348s.jpg

SAM_0348.jpg

Results

- coming soon -

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can, but you need to be smart :)

I did a performance analysis between 2500k, 2600k, 3930k and 3960x at 5GHz here: http://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/studiu-de-overclocking-asus-rampage-iv-extreme-sandy-bridge-e/17

Also you can find out that tri-channel is much better than dual-channel or quad-channel on SB-E here: http://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/studiu-de-overclocking-asus-rampage-iv-extreme-sandy-bridge-e/18

matose, can you also test 1Gb vs 2Gb modules on SBe and 4x2Gb vs 8x2Gb in 32M ?

I don't have 8 modules :)

I will test single-sided vs double-sided when my PSC arrive next week. For me SPI32m on SB-E is pretty useless because I have 5950MHz 2500k but no time to mount 4x2GB Elpida Hyper and get a proper score :D

The IMC on this chip is not too good, so DDR3-2400C10 seems to be the max so far. Bclk goes upto 106MHz, but couldn't get the 1.25x to work yet. A couple of other bugs are in the F3k bios at the moment, but I think those will be solved rather quickly. LN2 runs coming up.

4800-1200c10-100.png

4240-990c10-106.png

I think the MB is the problem, not the IMC. I tried more than one CPU and neither one did under 2550MHz RAM freq on R4E...

1.25x multiplier also don't work on ASRock X79 Extreme 4 but I managed close to 2500MHz MEM speed with the same CPU that did 2600MHz on R4E. Oh, and MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) was DOA :)

How much chips you tested?

I tested only the Sabertooth before and it had a similar MEMCLK wall as I experience now. DX79SI was even worse as it couldn't run DDR3-1200. I think I need that R4E to set baseline OC results with this chip.

Interesting note about the MSI board. What were the DOA symptoms? No boot or just no power up?

I think the MB is the problem, not the IMC. I tried more than one CPU and neither one did under 2550MHz RAM freq on R4E...

1.25x multiplier also don't work on ASRock X79 Extreme 4 but I managed close to 2500MHz MEM speed with the same CPU that did 2600MHz on R4E. Oh, and MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) was DOA :)

If you CPU is C1 stepping, it seems those boards are not compatible...at least according to MSI. Our team leader has one for review and MSI is sending out another because of C1 incompatibility.

Well, F2 wasnt bad for me (outside of the odd LLC that doesnt work at all) overclocking wise so I will stick with it...

Quicktest under LN2 to check if the CPU behaves in the same way.

2108262.png

That high voltage wasn't necessary, set it just to be sure. Clocking is similar to the Sabertooth both in terms of temp range, memory issue and max clock. Not a good chip, in other words.

Also trying to get both 1.25x and 1.67x BCLK multiplier working. So far, I can almost boot into windows with the 1.67x ... just need a little more hw tweaking. TBC.

Retail CPUs are C1, maybe you mean C0?
Retail C1 and it wouldnt boot from the get go. The bios he has I do not believe was the shipping bios and that was were the incompatibility lay.

Massman - Any new beta bios in the works for this non sticking to settings thing in F3k/n or do we have to continue to use ET6 for voltage and overclocking (outside the buttons on board of course)?

Edited by Earthdog

Massman - Any new beta bios in the works for this non sticking to settings thing in F3k/n or do we have to continue to use ET6 for voltage and overclocking (outside the buttons on board of course)?

Here you have F3i/j/m,but I think is same.

Btw,

on friday has been new release (I don't have yet).

And today will be probably new beta.

Retail C1 and it wouldnt boot from the get go. The bios he has I do not believe was the shipping bios and that was were the incompatibility lay.

Wtf about retail C1 incompatibility ... :confused:

I think there are new BIOSes coming out. There should be ... need some other fixes too. Oh, hey, could we all complain with one big petition to give us more than 4 bios profiles and allow is to name them so we can see which one is loaded? :D

hey try not setting the CPu PWM frequency, see if that allows the voltages to stick.

I tried auto and setting them manually. No change.

I tested with C0 and still the same... I think the problem is someplace else as I'm not the only one with this problem