HWBOT Community Forums

Testing GIGABYTE X79-UD7 ...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This board is strange. I am working on review now, maybe i am stupid or doing something wrong, but i dont know what.

I have Ci7-3930K stepping 5, C0. On Asus Dlx/RIVE + MSI GD65 8D + Intel X79SI i can OC this chip with 1.45V easily to 4.8 GHz rock stable.

But on UD5/UD7 only 4.7 GHz. For 4.8 GHz i need here 1.65V !!!!!! On other board i can OC it for 5 GHz in few seconds, on UD5/UD7 is 5 GHz on air impossible at any settings.

Ive tryed everything, all options in 3D power, all voltages, but still this crappy results there ... help

will send issues to tchaiwan for resolution, whats your problems?

my issues:

BIOS F3 and higher - Auto OC button not working

EasyTune + Enable change multi in windows - problem with multi

Oced CPU above 4.5 Ghz undeclocked to default under load ...

F4c didnt change anything for me. Here are my issues:

F2 bios and all beta versions up to F3 - Setting voltage in bios does not show in windows (used ET6 for voltage) multi works via onboard buttons/and from bios.

F3 bios and betas up to F4c - Setting voltage in bios shows in windows, but now multi adjustments do not go past 38x via ET6, buttons on board, or the bios.

With F4c - BIOS shows 56C CPU temp no matter what.

Uninstalled ET6 the issue(s) still remain.

Edited by Earthdog

OBR you know LLC is reserved right? 0% is strongest. But yea my ES required a lot of load votlage to stay stable.

Man you have some odd issues, my settings stick fine. Maybe they will release another BIOS soon, F4C doesn't do much to improve anything tho. All i have that doesn't stick is multiplier and that is when easytune is loaded with F3.

You guys see this? its Hicookie:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-RUP8u476c10/Tt25ZviMaHI/AAAAAAAABJA/_Bh3rgG8Stw/s1600-h/ImageUpload.org2560-2%25255B4%25255D.png

This board is strange. I am working on review now, maybe i am stupid or doing something wrong, but i dont know what.

I have Ci7-3930K stepping 5, C0. On Asus Dlx/RIVE + MSI GD65 8D + Intel X79SI i can OC this chip with 1.45V easily to 4.8 GHz rock stable.

But on UD5/UD7 only 4.7 GHz. For 4.8 GHz i need here 1.65V !!!!!! On other board i can OC it for 5 GHz in few seconds, on UD5/UD7 is 5 GHz on air impossible at any settings.

Ive tryed everything, all options in 3D power, all voltages, but still this crappy results there ... help

That voltage does not make any sense. Forcing it to work with that amount of V is causing an underlying issue to get fixed. My bet is on the pll override finetuning, which on the GD65 was fixable with a small workaround (ineffective on UD7).

Also, I don't think the max of your chip is 4800. I don't think anyone's max is 4800. With my ES chip, I had this 4800 air wall on all boards I tested (GD65/UD7/DX79SI) and it could do 5300 on LN2 (Sabertooth/GD65/UD7) easily. On GD65 I got upto 5150 air after workaround fix. With this 3930K retail, I have a 4700/4800 air wall on the UD7, so far, but 5200 bootable on R4E. Actually, I got a similar wall before I started playing with PWM settings on the R4E ...

sin - yes i know, 0 is max LLC

The same chip + Noctua air cooler, 3930K on RIVE (0901) cinebench R11 rock stable 5 GHz, MEM 2200 MHz CL9 on 1.5V. All options on Auto, only LLC High + manual CPU/MEM voltage settings.

On Giga UD7 - max 4,7 GHz with +/- 1.5V. Nothing higher at any normal settings, various voltages/3D Power combinations, nothing helps me.

PS. On Asus drops multiplier in load to default too, but on 1.65V and air cooler. Thats normal CPU protection, but on Giga i have it on 4,7 GHz and 1.5V ...

subzero results are not argument in common review for home users with air/water setup. We need here same results on all boards, this time is MSI with early BIOS at Ocing better the UD5/UD7 and its a big thing. Ive tested:

Asus Deluxe - 4,8 GHz at 1.44V, 5 GHz 1.5V

MSI GD65 8D - 4,8 GHz at 1.44V, 5 GHz 1.5V

Intel 79SI - 4,8 GHz at 1.44V

Asus RIVE - 4,8 GHz at 1.44V, 5 GHz 1.5V

Giga UD5/7 - 4,7 GHz at 1.47V, 5 GHz no way ... here is problem, awaiting new BIOS with corrections

I suppose, there is problem with some OCP/OVP/Temp protection ... or badly tweaked new VRM

Edited by OBR

When subzero, it should go just as high as the other boards, btw. The ES did 5300+ on all tested boards here, including UD7.

I want to feel the limit of the CPU, not the limit of the board so it's still a fail for me!

BTW, UD7 had also a very bad cold-boot around 0 degrees... not touching that MB again :)

Retail CPUs.

Okay. I'll check with these retails I have here too.

I want to feel the limit of the CPU, not the limit of the board so it's still a fail for me!

BTW, UD7 had also a very bad cold-boot around 0 degrees... not touching that MB again :)

Yeah, cold(boot)bug is a little weird. I remember when testing, I had issues below +15°C at first, but then the board suddenly started booting below 0°C as well. Afterwards again +10°C.

Figured it was some issue on my end. Seems not :-/.

put a fan over the VRm heatsink and you'll hit 4.9ghz lol that is what i did when i was stuck at 4.8 lol lol

I think there should be a new BIOS release soon, no? Should fix a lot of these issues. But yea I am hitting 4.8ghz with average setup too.

Edited by sin0822

put a fan over the VRm heatsink and you'll hit 4.9ghz lol that is what i did when i was stuck at 4.8 lol lol

I think there should be a new BIOS release soon, no? Should fix a lot of these issues. But yea I am hitting 4.8ghz with average setup too.

"... hit that 4.9G ..."

My CPU is capable of 5.1G+. I don't want that 4.9G, I want that 5.1G ;)