HWBOT Community Forums

Testing MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

Just got the board in today and throwing it on the test bench already. The board has been available since X79 launch, so I guess most of you are familiar with all the features. I noticed there are many features such as pcie lanes, usb slots, sata connections, fan headers, audio and more of all that.

Now let's see how the clocks are !

Setup

- i7 3960X ES

- X79A-GD65 (bios 1.2b1)

- 4x 2GB Dominator GTX8

- GeForce 8400GS (for now)

- Silent Pro M1000 PSU

Pictures

Just a few, there are far better pictures out on teh interw3bz already so you can check out those!

SAM_0352t.jpg

SAM_0354t.jpg

SAM_0355t.jpg

SAM_0359t.jpg

Results

- coming soon, stay tuned -

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 4900Mhz instead of 4800MHz by disabling pll override. But it's not a solid solution as I'm now stuck at 4900MHz. Something's weird about this setting ...

4900-933c10-100.png

Anyway, board seems to be way more efficient than the UD7 for some reason. I'll get the UD7 back on the testbed and check if there's a bandwidth issue of some sort. It's probably me who missed something in the UD7. User error!!

4800-933c10-100.png

vs

4800-1200c10-100.png

Got 4900Mhz instead of 4800MHz by disabling pll override. But it's not a solid solution as I'm now stuck at 4900MHz. Something's weird about this setting ...

5000-1066c10-100.png

Okay, 5G booting in OS now. Here's the trick:

1) go in BIOS

2) set 48x ratio, set PLL override to enable

3) save settings and reboot

4) go back in BIOS

5) set 50x ratio, keep PLL override at enable

6) save settings and reboot

7) go back in BIOS

8) set PLL override to disable

9) save settings and reboot

Now it should be possible to go in OS higher than before. Before I found this, my maximum boot was 4800. The I got 4900 by disabling the pll override, but 5000 didn't work straight away. Now I have 5000 by doing the trick described above. Maybe more (testing now //edit: 5200 boot in OS now).

I think this trick will work on the UD7 as well, perhaps on every single board aside from the R4E (lol). Please report your findings!

Edit: I'm particularly interested in ES vs retail chips. It's possible this is only an issue with ES chips.

Last one for today. Tomorrow I'll have a look at how the board acts under cold.

So far, though, I'm pretty happy with the board. It does need a few hours of BIOS 'burn-in' (setup adjusting to SPD etc), but after a while the board is actually starting to act logically ... more than previous mainstream MSI boards did! It's a pity my CPU can't do very high memory frequenies at the moment, so it's hard to test this board's capabilities. Anyway, got a bit of reporting to do as well ... some bugs need to be squashed still.

4760-1140c10-122.png

One last thing. The current BIOSes have this annoying issue that whenever the board doesn't like any of your settings, be it temperature, bclk, voltage or anything else, it'll lock itself in x12 CPU ratio. I tested this board with ln2 and anything below +15°C caused the x12 ratio trigger. The workaround is rather easy though:

1) go in bios

2) set all the ratios/voltages/frequencies you want to run at

3) check if temperature is above 15°C

4) save and exit

5) the board will now do a hard reboot (shutdown and power up)

6) go back in the bios

7) drop temperature

8) exit without saving the settings

9) boot in os

As long as you don't have the board shut down (by changing a bios setting or hard crash), the x12 bug will not occur. Once you do have a hard crash, you're royally screwed though!

In general, I'm quite okay with this board. Although there are several obvious issues, this board is actually behaving much more logically than MSI boards did in the past (who can remember P45 series!!). Also, all the issues I've come across behave on a consistent basis and seem very 'easy' to fix. With the PLL override trick this board could actually do more than the other boards I've tried so far (I didn't test the R4E yet!), so ... yup, seems to be okay.

Expecting BIOS updates to make the life of the OCer more easy!

Pieter, dont make it more complicated than it is.

Some ES CPU's just act like that. When we tested those 35 in Sweden we found out, that some CPU's can not boot in to OS with clocks, what they are able to do while you are in windows. You need to boot at 48x for example and just raise multiplier to 53x in windows. No big deal :)

Or did I got it somehow wrong?

did you test with pll OV disabled to begin with? how much lower of a multi weer you left with?

Yeap.

The key is to disable the PLL override and not have a hard reboot with system shutting down. And changing CPU ratio always makes the system hard reboot.

By the way. When you shutdown the system and power it up manually again (without changing settings), it will not be able to boot into OS again at 50x100. You need to go back into the bios and trick PLL again.

//edit: just found out that you don't need to 'disable' it. Just change the value. If it's enabled, you disable. If it's disabled, you enable. LOL!