HWBOT Community Forums

Testing MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One last thing. The current BIOSes have this annoying issue that whenever the board doesn't like any of your settings, be it temperature, bclk, voltage or anything else, it'll lock itself in x12 CPU ratio. I tested this board with ln2 and anything below +15°C caused the x12 ratio trigger. The workaround is rather easy though:

1) go in bios

2) set all the ratios/voltages/frequencies you want to run at

3) check if temperature is above 15°C

4) save and exit

5) the board will now do a hard reboot (shutdown and power up)

6) go back in the bios

7) drop temperature

8) exit without saving the settings

9) boot in os

As long as you don't have the board shut down (by changing a bios setting or hard crash), the x12 bug will not occur. Once you do have a hard crash, you're royally screwed though!

In general, I'm quite okay with this board. Although there are several obvious issues, this board is actually behaving much more logically than MSI boards did in the past (who can remember P45 series!!). Also, all the issues I've come across behave on a consistent basis and seem very 'easy' to fix. With the PLL override trick this board could actually do more than the other boards I've tried so far (I didn't test the R4E yet!), so ... yup, seems to be okay.

Expecting BIOS updates to make the life of the OCer more easy!

Hi Massman. I've tried firmware 1.0, 1.1b18, 1.2, and the new 1.3 version with the same issue of getting stuck at 12x whenever changing either the cpu ratio or the individual core turbo maximum ratio. At stock speeds with a 3930K, the motherboard works fine, and CPU does factory turbo from 3.5GHz to 3.8GHz. But whenever trying to select another cpu multiplier / ratio, it always stays at 12, or 1200 MHz (12 x 100).

I'm using a thermaltake Frio advanced, no LN2. Any trick to avoid this 12x max cpu mulitplier, regardless of cooling?

One last thing. The current BIOSes have this annoying issue that whenever the board doesn't like any of your settings, be it temperature, bclk, voltage or anything else, it'll lock itself in x12 CPU ratio. I tested this board with ln2 and anything below +15°C caused the x12 ratio trigger. The workaround is rather easy though:

1) go in bios

2) set all the ratios/voltages/frequencies you want to run at

3) check if temperature is above 15°C

4) save and exit

5) the board will now do a hard reboot (shutdown and power up)

6) go back in the bios

7) drop temperature

8) exit without saving the settings

9) boot in os

As long as you don't have the board shut down (by changing a bios setting or hard crash), the x12 bug will not occur. Once you do have a hard crash, you're royally screwed though!

In general, I'm quite okay with this board. Although there are several obvious issues, this board is actually behaving much more logically than MSI boards did in the past (who can remember P45 series!!). Also, all the issues I've come across behave on a consistent basis and seem very 'easy' to fix. With the PLL override trick this board could actually do more than the other boards I've tried so far (I didn't test the R4E yet!), so ... yup, seems to be okay.

Expecting BIOS updates to make the life of the OCer more easy!

Hi Massman, forgot to add screenshot of x12 cpu ratio bug with all the firmware versions I've tested (1.0, 1.1b18, 1.2, 1.3) and a 3930K retail.

It appears that when I change the "global" cpu ratio, or the per core turbo ratio to any multiplier, and inside Windows 7, the temperature sensors detect the temps of all of the cpu cores at 91 degrees celsius. So I guess it never goes above 12 x 100 or 1200MHz. Please see screenshot at the url below with the Coretemp readings, and even with cpu-z, where it

shows the cpu at 1200MHz, and also only using 0.88volts of power.

See full high resolution screenshot image here

http://www.twitpic.com/7ighyk/full

Hi Massman, forgot to add screenshot of x12 cpu ratio bug with all the firmware versions I've tested (1.0, 1.1b18, 1.2, 1.3) and a 3930K retail.

It appears that when I change the "global" cpu ratio, or the per core turbo ratio to any multiplier, and inside Windows 7, the temperature sensors detect the temps of all of the cpu cores at 91 degrees celsius. So I guess it never goes above 12 x 100 or 1200MHz. Please see screenshot at the url below with the Coretemp readings, and even with cpu-z, where it

shows the cpu at 1200MHz, and also only using 0.88volts of power.

See full high resolution screenshot image here

http://www.twitpic.com/7ighyk/full

Really, do something with temperature first. Because 3930K enabling throttling from 86С. And did you flash BIOS with latest Intel ME through DOS mode?

Really, do something with temperature first. Because 3930K enabling throttling from 86С. And did you flash BIOS with latest Intel ME through DOS mode?

Hi Massman and Steelrat. If I leave the motherboard and cpu overclock settings at stock (leaving everything at default) -- the temperature sensors sees the temperatures normally (30 degrees celsius stock, and maybe 53 degrees at full load with Prime95 and say a Thermaltake Frio Advanced heatsink).

It's only when I change either the cpu core ratio multiplier (above 38), or the individual core turbo ratio, that it gets stuck at 12x or x12 multiplier, and also the temperatures go to 91 degrees (this can't be correct -- please see previous screenshot -- the cpu is not even going above 0.88 volts at 12 x 100 or 1200MHz). I was curious how Massman got around the 12x limit. I've never been able to successful overclock the cpu with anything. I'm tempted to return and just go with one of the Asus boards. I have a 2600K with a Asus P8P67 Deluxe and pushed that to 4.5GHz on air with no problems.

I've also tried 1.3 firmware, and it gives the exact same problem when trying to change the cpu core ratio multiplier -- 12 x 100, that's it!

• 2 weeks later...
5000-1066c10-100.png

Okay, 5G booting in OS now. Here's the trick:

1) go in BIOS

2) set 48x ratio, set PLL override to enable

3) save settings and reboot

4) go back in BIOS

5) set 50x ratio, keep PLL override at enable

6) save settings and reboot

7) go back in BIOS

8) set PLL override to disable

9) save settings and reboot

Now it should be possible to go in OS higher than before. Before I found this, my maximum boot was 4800. The I got 4900 by disabling the pll override, but 5000 didn't work straight away. Now I have 5000 by doing the trick described above. Maybe more (testing now //edit: 5200 boot in OS now).

I think this trick will work on the UD7 as well, perhaps on every single board aside from the R4E (lol). Please report your findings!

Edit: I'm particularly interested in ES vs retail chips. It's possible this is only an issue with ES chips.

Khalam got 5G working with this workaround too, so I figure it actually works on ES/retail. I'm uploading a video to explain the process visually.

Hi guys.

I found the same thing during my tests of msi

x79A-GD65

I think it's also the fault of sensote temperature.

else, you've noticed that if you enable the plate ln2 jumpers should not be more '?

mi scuso per il mio inglese ... google traduttore

Edited by vega05

im getting huge instability with anything over 100 bclk.... this chip must be made from silicon scraps... anyhow its vantage stable at 5ghz but requires silly volts (1.645v). There is a sudden leap in volts. it can work at 4.6ghz at 1.35v but to be stable at 4.8ghz it already wants 1.525v. Yesterday i was ment to try it out under ss but my unit decided to die on me:(

Try with 1.25x bclk multi Massman it will not problem for 5GHz and don't need any special setting or any trick on i tried but if play with 100MHz bclk i can't boot up at 5GHz too with V1.0B12 bios on i tried it about few month ago :)

some result for 5GHz on this board and more results can see here >> http://www.overclockzone.com/zolkorn/year2011/11/msi_x79a_gd65_8d/index4.htm

pi32x12_3960x5g_x79gd65.png

Edited by ZoLKoRn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...