HWBOT Community Forums

Testing MSI Big Bang XPower II

Ok, so here are my scores:

Air cooling

CPU clocks on air as high as on any other board given the right cooling. My cpu can do ~5GHz pi-32M without using the CPU heatsink mounting and two cores and ~4500 3d11 with all cores enabled.

6.54.875.png

Bclk is mental on this board. Previous best with R4E/GD65 was around 154MHz; now I got upto 168MHz CPUZ (publish soon) and 161MHz fully 3D stable with 4x 580!

2177815.png

20963.png

On LN2

Board hits limit of CPU on nitrogen as well.

22756.png

There's a problem with cold that MSI is addressing at the moment. Here's the workaround:

One last thing. The current BIOSes have this annoying issue that whenever the board doesn't like any of your settings, be it temperature, bclk, voltage or anything else, it'll lock itself in x12 CPU ratio. I tested this board with ln2 and anything below +15°C caused the x12 ratio trigger. The workaround is rather easy though:

1) go in bios

2) set all the ratios/voltages/frequencies you want to run at

3) check if temperature is above 15°C

4) save and exit

5) the board will now do a hard reboot (shutdown and power up)

6) go back in the bios

7) drop temperature

8) exit without saving the settings

9) boot in os

As long as you don't have the board shut down (by changing a bios setting or hard crash), the x12 bug will not occur. Once you do have a hard crash, you're royally screwed though!

Efficiency

Efficiency of the board seems fine on Pi-32M, but is slacking a little bit in physics 3dmark11. I'm going to revisit this board once the cold issue is fixed. For your information:

7.12.485.png

With GD65 before:

4800-1066c10-100.png

Conclusive lines

All in all, the hardware seems pretty solid. The BIOS is quite snappy and very responsive; I think MSI has one of the better UEFI bioses available. There are a couple of layout problems with multi-gpu, though, like the OC buttons and pcie ceasefire being hard to reach in 4way. Imho, the #1 priority right now should be for MSI to fix the ratio problem under cold.

I have the feeling this board is (hardware-wise) capable of a lot more than it's showing at the moment. Looking forward to more testing in the near future!

Extra! Extra!

Elmor presenting the XPowerII board

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you use the ROG CPUz on an MSI board? I mean why? People then dont bother to see what board.

massman has a work around for it, basically you have to not reset, so set BLCk first at a higher temp and other settings that might cause reset.

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37294

I KNOW..................I forget instaling CPU Z without ROG Version just plug and play in my SSD

Lol, sin. How many screenshots is using afterburner with different vendor's VGA card? I didn't get it.

Well it was something i was actually thinking about the ROG CPUz not because i just saw it, but I thought how many people actually do that and i saw it so i commented.

Afterburner, why yes many use it on all cards, but that is because it is superior, normal CPUz and ROG cpuz, what is the practical difference? Other than it is already loaded, which i honestly thought was the case, i don't think people use it on purpose instead of the normal one when they use other boards.

Anyways i am surprised no other manufacturer has tried to have their own skin developed.

Lol, sin. How many screenshots is using afterburner with different vendor's VGA card? I didn't get it.

lol, keep em coming bauss:D

you mean you're stuck with gigabutt and they don't have your own version?

he is just butthurt they don't have a gigabutt skin:P

I mean really sinbad you are going to call him out for having an ROG themed cpuz, still sipping on that gigabutt kewl aid i see.

No need to hate on Hazzan for showing an overclock on a board that is not a gigabutt.

Edited by l0ud_sil3nc3