HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Competition Feedback thread

Massman

+1 davis

its hard competiting against teams with companies backing them up.

some guys can just go to their warehouse...

placeholders? with 4 lightnings 3gb...

insane lol

small countries have no chance.

f1 racing have rules leveling the competition. weight limits. engine limits. etc

a huge competition is fun. but if the rules come out weeks before the deadline is no fun. people have to go hunt on ebay. while others just get hardware from their local stores.

just practicing forum democrazy

Country Cup isn't supposed to be an F1-type of competition. It's about fun and comradery; just about getting together with some guys to have fun with overclocking. F1 is serious business with huge financial implications (talking about tens of millions of dollars). Comparing both is not valid ... ;)

It doesn't matter. This is a feedback thread. I'd rather focus on possibilities and maybe push for something good for the next few competitions.

I didn't mean to target teams. apologies for that.

apologies accepted

Country Cup isn't supposed to be an F1-type of competition. It's about fun and comradery; just about getting together with some guys to have fun with overclocking. F1 is serious business with huge financial implications (talking about tens of millions of dollars). Comparing both is not valid ... ;)

+1

teamplaying and team effort is everything for us atleast :D

Edited by Tiltevros

+

a huge competition is fun. but if the rules come out weeks before the deadline is no fun. people have to go hunt on ebay. while others just get hardware from their local stores.

Agree here :)

Maybe give the hardware limitation and/or rules around 2 months before competition? (if possible)

And some minor request : Could you make it so that the next year competition is over before Xmas? :P

Anyway, we had fun here :) (except the PCMark stage, 48 hours straight with no result at all LOL :D :D )

Maybe give the hardware limitation and/or rules around 2 months before competition? (if possible)

And some minor request : Could you make it so that the next year competition is over before Xmas? :P

Anyway, we had fun here :) (except the PCMark stage, 48 hours straight with no result at all LOL :D :D )

I agree massman ruined our christmas...

he is now the grinch of hwbot christmas

Good suggestion. I should add a notice on the hwbot agenda somewhere in July'12 to start thinking about Country Cup :D.

I hear your PCMark pain. Last night from 9PM until 6:30AM ... no result :P

Because this is the focus of the Country Cup, Canada and the US (perhaps Russia too) are at a inherent disadvantage. Canada has 4300km between the two biggest cities, seeing guys complaining about driving 4 hours to meet country mates is somewhat amusing. When the competition becomes more about getting a bunch of guys together and sharing gear to get the best results it puts those without those means at even greater disadvantage.

If the focus is who can pile the most top grade gear or the best cooling options together then the countries unable because of population or distance/size are left not even competing. If the comradery and team overclocking is what Country Cup is about then I'm fine with it. My feedback amounts to wishing it was about finding out which country has the best all around overclockers and not who can centralize their overclocking hardware the easiest.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about the competition (it was a blast and even without changes I'll be 'clocking hard next year) but I would like to see a competition that focuses more on which country actually contains the best overclockers. But just my two cents.

Because this is the focus of the Country Cup, Canada and the US (perhaps Russia too) are at a inherent disadvantage. Canada has 4300km between the two biggest cities, seeing guys complaining about driving 4 hours to meet country mates is somewhat amusing. When the competition becomes more about getting a bunch of guys together and sharing gear to get the best results it puts those without those means at even greater disadvantage.

If the focus is who can pile the most top grade gear or the best cooling options together then the countries unable because of population or distance/size are left not even competing. If the comradery and team overclocking is what Country Cup is about then I'm fine with it. My feedback amounts to wishing it was about finding out which country has the best all around overclockers and not who can centralize their overclocking hardware the easiest.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about the competition (it was a blast and even without changes I'll be 'clocking hard next year) but I would like to see a competition that focuses more on which country actually contains the best overclockers. But just my two cents.

it is a team competition after all, however I feel you on finding a group to bench with locally, closest person to me is about 8 hours, one way, and we are both in the same state:)

Honda is quite a few hours away as well and Stevero is clear on the other side of the country 3000+ miles away. I feel for how late we all got in it we did great, and you guys (team canada) were on are heels the entire time, guess more planning needs to go in to it to win. I mean I love the fact that Indonesia and Greece straight had a crew of people, benching together and producing awesome results, sounds like a freaking blast:D

yeah i wish massman was in china, leeghoofd in iran, gamer in hawaii, pt1t in mexico

lets see the belgian team bench together lol

comradery my **** lol

lol, oh good stuff man never a dull moment:D

• Crew

Well let's take belgium with 5-10 active overclockers, small country... advantage maybe easier to get together... Far harder to get 5 super scores in... ask Pt1t how many times I spammed him on MSN to get a score done... Take USA, what maybe 500-1000 active overclockers ? How many in Canada ? If those countries can't bring 5 high scores together then who can... ?

Main issue in my humble point of view is : Coz there aren't big prices concerned some of the big boys don't compete or don't even bother to defend their national flag...

I've spend cash on a 2nd hand 890X board, A75 board, and i7 860 CPU... just for this compo... I ripped apart my dad's pc to have access to the board and CPU... Think it's a bit narrow minded to mainly focus on the distance between overclockers. it takes me a 4 hour drive to get to my parents and back.

Also that wharehouse overclocker comments ... Honestly would you refuse if a shop borrowed you a CPU or a few GPU's that a brand wants to get exposure for ? Or you have access to gear as a reviewer ? Wouldn't you use it ?

If you refuse it coz it's unfair, good for you. I have a wife kids, 5 goldfish, 2 rabbits and a cat to feed... If I can save money in any way I'll do it... LN2 is already more than expensive enough here...

It all takes planning, in fact quick planning who has got what gear available, access to LN2, etc... We had a good thread from day one of the competition at Madshrimps... XS was a bit slow at first...

Mainly we all pretested stuff (if possible) and just came together coz we only have 2 LN2 dewars. If we all had our own dewars it might have been more of a individual benching session... If the polish, greeks, russians can do teamsessions, so can you... it isn't required to get everybody in the same room is it ?

...just my 2 cents....

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1

There are always two sides of the coin. Bulgaria is a small and poor country. Just look how many active extreme overclockers we have. The minimum salary for the country is 145euro and the average is something around 350euro (valid for the capital, other cities have way lower average). Prices of everyday goods are not cheaper than any country in the EU. Overclocking is not popular amongst hardware shops, so no sponsors as well, we have to buy everything on our own.

There's nothing wrong with using available hardware. If we had it, we would also use it. There will be always something "unfair" according to different people. We don't compete for the prizes, we just want to show that even little Bulgaria could be on par with the big names in the community. It's about national pride and mostly fun. However I was too frustrated in the end :P.

Anyway, it was my first subzero VGA bench, so I'm quite happy with that. I'm only disappointed from the 3DMark score, but I don't even have a decent DX11 card to pretest and received the second radeon last day of the comp.

The stage that I didn't like was PCMark7. I didn't like the idea from the very begining. It was so frustrating, lol.

• Crew
. It's about national pride and mostly fun.

:celebration: Thank you for posting this !! you rock :nana: This is what it is all about... !!

The stage that I didn't like was PCMark7. I didn't like the idea from the very begining. It was so frustrating, lol.

My kids are hypnotised by it, spend days with it... but was not clever enough to find them little things that made it fly...