HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge January 2012 thread.

Massman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the highest score, you get 10 points. Which is the highest amount of points you can win per stage.

I mean that if i win 3 stages and screw on 2 there is chance someone to get lucky with adding/removing poor scores and to be 4 or more times 6-th or 11-th and he may win the competition. So at the end the winner will be not the best overclocker with best results it will be the most sneaky and tricky one. This is overclocking community not advanced school, point are rewarded by our oc achievements not sneaky tactics. It will be a "cold war" not competition. But it is up to us after all, if someone not like conditions may not join it. :)

So, do I have to consider that ES are allowed?

For a fair competition, I guess not :D

I mean that if i win 3 stages and screw on 2 there is chance someone to get lucky with adding/removing poor scores and to be 4 or more times 6-th or 11-th and he may win the competition. So at the end the winner will be not the best overclocker with best results it will be the most sneaky and tricky one. This is overclocking community not advanced school, point are rewarded by our oc achievements not sneaky tactics. It will be a "cold war" not competition. But it is up to us after all, if someone not like conditions may not join it. :)

I think that this gives to the non-extreme overclockers a better chance to win a competition, we both know that at the end guys with LN2 and sub-zero temps are the possible winners. With the same points in three different places, non-extreme overclockers can fight among them and get a chance to win.

A different (and better approach) could be to award the lowest scores, too - like if you have 11 teams competing you could give 10-8-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-8-10 points for a stage.

Fighting for the 5th score is quite silly, you cant really aim for it while benching - you got no real target, you can't push the system in any direction and have a better chance of winning.

I personally don't like the idea of deleting better score and replacing it with worse. I'd rather submit my best score on water than aiming at the 6th place with lower clocks than my current 24/7. There won't be any effort in that score.

Good that you can still fight for the first place and take 10 points, but let's consider the other possible situation.

I'm fighting with knopflerbruce and tiborrr for the first place and throw everything possible in the stage, but in the end I end up 3rd, simply because they are better than me. I won't be disappointed, because it's just the place I'm able to get, no skills/hardware/luck for more.

With the new rules, should I produce several results in different timeframes which don't represent my system's maximum and personal skills, and just wait and aim for the 6th place with deleting and uploading differenet scores, depending on other's scores?

Imagine 10 minutes untill the end all people deleting better scores and uploading worse scores, so they can take the 6th place.

I admire the idea of giving chances to air/water setups, but there are flaws as well. Don't know if there's a perfect solution.

It's not about to be fair. ES are not better than other. I ask that because the only cpu I got is a ES.

I'm ok with ES chips, as long as they are similar to retail chips (e.g. no unlocked multipliers, while the retail chip is locked). Since it's not a model based comp (e.g. Sempron 145 allowed only), I don't see a problem allowing ES chips.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

There's no perfect solution, I'm sure.

Guys, please remember that the HOC competitions are mainly for fun and for testing things out. So, I'd like to know what all the people who are against it now, say after the competition has finished. Doesn't matter if your opinion is the same, different or more elaborate ("this is good, this is bad") :D.

Btw, last month we had a another point scheme and Overclock.net won. On their forums, there was actually a thread going with guys discussing how to approach it. So, they had a plan and they won.