Christian Ney - Core i7 920 @ 4750MHz - 45047 marks PCMark 2005

topdog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew
the rules have changed again? ...this is not fair for others...

Euh, have they changed again ?

- No ramdisk or MFT software allowed (didn't say ram cache did it )

- XP startup can not exceed 220MB/s

- Benchmark must run on default web browser (Internet Explorer, any version) and default audio/video codec *new*

- Browser enhancement tweaks such as disabling/removing features, plugins, make-up etc are allowed *new*

- Audio and video codec tweaks are allowed. Powertoy is, as GUI for the registry, allowed *new*

The new * ones have been debated a long time ago and everyone agreed on them...

Explain the main difference between an Acard/Iram/RAM disk and the ram cache used here ? With normal SSDs you can't reach the scores eg Steve of Christian has done... I find it very good that ram cache can be used : It's far cheaper and can even bring far better results then them uberly expensive Acards... We have tested some cache programs and the results are insane... at a mild cost...

PCmark05 was for the storage freaks with loads of cash, now the tide turns...

Tip : Get your gear out and start benching iso...

Edited by Leeghoofd

Most of the new pcie direct connect drives have excellent "mft like" software and from what I can tell - the s/w is needed just to use the drive (bundled with the driver) - if we allow "ram caching" we will see hdd scores approaching 3k and virus approaching 10k. Do we really want to allow this? :(

Most of the new pcie direct connect drives have excellent "mft like" software and from what I can tell - the s/w is needed just to use the drive (bundled with the driver) - if we allow "ram caching" we will see hdd scores approaching 3k and virus approaching 10k. Do we really want to allow this? :(

Not atall. All old scores already got made irrelevant when the encoding "tweaks" were allowed. Now again and even more so with ramdisks? :(

It was useless for me from a long time ago. Throw a big amount of money for storage, spend some time for tweaks (allowed or not..you can't detect what's used) and when you have an expensive storage system you're ready to test it with all CPUs you have..and you get hardware points for the cpu, but that's not a CPU benchmark anymore.

I agree... No.

If you allow RAM Cache, you might as well let Software RAM Disks into the mix also... And at that point, this benchmark has lost any usefullness.

I'm agree,and also remove the Xp start up limitation too because only one ssd can do better now.

I've got only one sata3 ssd to play with pcmark05 and the 220Mb/s limit is just non-sense IMO

Why don't you guys remove that silly XP startup rule and just require a picture of the storage devices used? Picture evidence is acceptable for cooling, it seems like a better way to police pcmark then the antiquated XP startup, which everyone can circumvent anyway. This ramcache stuff is pretty silly too.

• Crew
riots,

I Did The Same With 3dmark99 And 3dmark00.

Again !!!! :D

PCM....many problems with this benchmark....:(

ramcache != ramdisk, but the line is very thin.

Is the same software, i think (supers....) at the end is a software no hardware ;)

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
ramcache != ramdisk, but the line is very thin.

Somethimg else, ramcache and ramdisk software need, more ram perhaps.

ramcache and ramdisk is not allowed. or i'm wrong ? pcamrk confuses me many times, many fixes, many tricks, and many discussions :rolleyes: