HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

yeah and thats exactly what im seeing,

once you get to 90k+ trans windows, it really does NOTHING for your score, but, when you start raiseing cpu frequency, you get massive gains for every 100mhz because that trans window is waiting there to catapult your score forward when the other subtests increase

Yup... TW over 90K will be the to work as a bigger multiplier when you maximize the other sub-tests.

Edited by xXSebaSXx

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality it's the relative gain in a subtest that determines how much a tweak is "worth". Like, if you improve text edit so that your tweaked score is 10x the original, then the score is 10^(1/16) times higher than it was before (=1.155, or if you wish: the total score increase is 15.5% when ANY subtest score is 10x the initial value).

I don't know how effective the TW tweaks are on your hightech systems, but maybe 3-4 times better than a totally untweaked score?

Can you guys not just call it a bottleneck like normal people? :D

I made an Excel to calculate PCM05 scores if XYZ change, it's very easy to compare and see that the higher the "other" tests are, the more of an effect the "big hitters" have, or, *increasing* the big hitters.

I made an Excel to calculate PCM05 scores if XYZ change, it's very easy to compare and see that the higher the "other" tests are, the more of an effect the "big hitters" have, or, *increasing* the big hitters.

Each score is worth exactly the same (by this i mean that there are no factors that make one subtest more valuable than another), so there is no bottleneck...

:D

got the file? :P

this bench has claimed my soul it seems.

For Text editing test , Futuremark use the WordPad application provided with the current Windows installation and perform search & replace operations on the document which is an 85 Kilobyte text.

WordPad consists of two main parts, the WordPad.exe program itself and its Wordpad engine which is actually part of the Windows operating system.

FMPad.exe is using Wordpad engine which Microsoft has steadily enhanced the WordPad engine over the years while making few corresponding enhancements to the WordPad program.

to boost the performance, you need to know the serect of Wordpad engine.

Hint :

1. Disable Rich Text Format support in Wordpad engine

2. Disable Unicode support in Wordpad engine

3. Force Match whole word Search and Match case Search in

4. Disable Error Level output in Wordpad engine

No DLL Modify required.

seems like am a noob here...how can i access the wordpad engine within windows seven no ref has been found by my cyber trolling...so help me out here :)

nice to see thad you al helping us out by explaining the tweaks.

i just playd a bit on it and i think i was sucsessful.

i aplaid all the tweaks for TW. and btw on a normal hansol 701A monitor no "120mhz 3d lcd"

system is a dual xeon e5330 whit a 4650 all stock

thx to all

Edited by skulstation

seems like am a noob here...how can i access the wordpad engine within windows seven no ref has been found by my cyber trolling...so help me out here :)

To my knowledge, the "wordpad engine" doesn't correlate to any actual component within windows.

I haven't looked into getting chervs notes working yet, but these are my guesses for places to look:

- Turn off support for the items listed within the OS

- Create the appropriate dword values within the right registry keys

- Find an obscure 3rd party app to alter these functions (similar to the transparent window tweak app)

Dunno, but someone might figure it out. I'm not working on it personally... Maybe I will eventually once the tweaks settle out, if that happens before PCM05 points are disabled. :rolleyes: Right now, advancement is too quick to keep up with (subtests jumping by orders of magnitude - audio encoding, 500K TW), and I don't want to spend time figuring out tweaks that will be smashed next week - once I get caught up with a lot of 2d and 3d benches I need to get done, I will probably revisit pcm05 and see where things stand. When I was submitting in Jan/Feb, top globals were within reach with the right hardware and a few tweaks... Much tougher competition now.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

• Crew

There's no such component as "wordpad engine" in exact. You just didn't follow the idea of CherV. What she was trying to tell is that despite FMpad being a different exe file from wordpad, it does use the same engine - what's behind the .exe which is only a GUI.

Pretty much like iexplore.exe is not the whole IE and not even the most part of it (surprise? :D ). But setting that are altered in Wordpad do change the wordpad backbone/engine settings meaning they do alter the settings at which FMpad runs the test.

She gives you food. Don't make her picking up the fork pinching the food and put it in your mouth - at least make some efforts. Or we're gonna end whining until you get a "Tweak PCMark05" button? :D

Didn't check the tweak yet - I don't use Win7 regularly so it's just my guess.

There's no such component as "wordpad engine" in exact. You just didn't follow the idea of CherV. What she was trying to tell is that despite FMpad being a different exe file from wordpad, it does use the same engine - what's behind the .exe which is only a GUI.

Pretty much like iexplore.exe is not the whole IE and not even the most part of it (surprise? :D ). But setting that are altered in Wordpad do change the wordpad backbone/engine settings meaning they do alter the settings at which FMpad runs the test.

She gives you food. Don't make her picking up the fork pinching the food and put it in your mouth - at least make some efforts. Or we're gonna end whining until you get a "Tweak PCMark05" button? :D

Didn't check the tweak yet - I don't use Win7 regularly so it's just my guess.

Nope... CherV's tweak is not something you can set by opening a wordpad document and saving some settings.

- There is no option to enable/disable RTF or Unicode within Wordpad.

- You can set the search options to watch whole case and search whole word, but those settings are not persistent.

- There is no option to disable error reporting by Wordpad.

CherV's tweak is either a program that makes those settings persistent or a registry tweak (I'm leaning towards this one as I have found the section of the registry that pertains to WordPad, but I can't find the DWORDs to use).