HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are giving it all away I might as well help a little - for xpstart up limiting - many ways - all involve making just enough read contention on the test drive -

1. use a h/w raid controller with its own cat5 and change controller settings to slow down the read rate

2. use an external thumb drive and do a copy operation to the test drive during the test - most folks use this

3. use crystal disk mark during test

4. this is the one i use almost exclusively now but there is a learning curve - iometer executed from a saved config file via a .bat :)

Steve.

For slowdown XP Startup with SSD RAID I use Read Benchmark in HDTune.

Run it once with XP Startup to see how many seconds need to complete this subtest, then finetune "Short Stroke" and "Block Size".

Disable autosave and monitor options, disable temperature in taskbar, set low priority for HDTunePro.exe.

Uncheck "Access Time" and "Burst Rate". Minimize HDTune after run the benchmark.

If one instance of HDTune is not enough to slow-down, you can run second at the same time.

Some say that Windows 8 is the fatest.

It's depends on Windows8 build, but all of them have various problems.

For me, build 7989 is the fastest so far. But it's not compatible with Futuremark SysInfo.

With 7989 build you will not be able to validate your score, so it's not for top20 world record scores.

Anything earlier than build 7989 not fully compatible with video drivers, so it's crap.

Build 8102 (Developer Preview) is fine, but it has IE10 integrated. At fist look I found IE10 slower than IE9 for PCMark05.

• Crew
Also... And fairly obviously, don't be afraid to try negatives

never i try before :eek:

If we are giving it all away I might as well help a little - for xpstart up limiting - many ways - all involve making just enough read contention on the test drive -

1. use a h/w raid controller with its own cat5 and change controller settings to slow down the read rate

2. use an external thumb drive and do a copy operation to the test drive during the test - most folks use this

3. use crystal disk mark during test

4. this is the one i use almost exclusively now but there is a learning curve - iometer executed from a saved config file via a .bat :)

Steve.

I use "2" sometimes, thanks Steve

Windows Vista have the best ''Transparent Windows'' score.

yes imho. for transparent windows Vista x64 (improved with nlite) is the best, Ati grafics card, I have not yet tested with nvidia.

For this subtest (transparent) - Operating System from best to worst

1- Vista x64 (improve w/nlite) the best

2- Windows 7

3- Windows 8 (I dont like in general by now)

4- XP - worst

In subtest 2 "Physics and 3D"-GTX 580-, I use only "lod tweak" like i write before set lod with nvidiainspector (0x00000034) in Rivatuner +4 or + 6, i dont try with +10 or more, may be good, negative lod may be good too, never i use negative lod w/nvidia.

During Country Cup, we could work around that by moving the PCMark7 around until the benchmark started. Like 'click' on window and move mouse

Interesting ;)

Edited by Sweet

Does it hang when starting the bench?

During Country Cup, we could work around that by moving the PCMark7 around until the benchmark started. Like 'click' on window and move mouse.

Older Win8 builds freezes after starting exe-file. When system info component tries to detect hardware. Benchmark window not shows on desktop. Even Ctrl+Alt+Del not works. Same problem with many other drivers/components, that works with hardware or system resources on low level. Compatibility fixed only in build 8102.

I know this thread is dedicated to the tweaking and I'm not trying to stir up an argument, just generally curious.

Awhile ago I know it was discussed what was legal and not legal tweaks for this benchmark. Now I see all these in-depth tweaks being posted and wondering are all these legal because were using 3rd party software and not actually digging into PCM '05 itself?

Again, just curious and not trying to stir up any discussion, mods can delete post, didn't think it needed a entire thread itself.

No, I understand that. All I'm curious about is what makes these "legal" in comparison to the ones that were in question and "illegal" a long time ago?

Simple. HWBot's own dictatorial overlord deemed them to be legal. ;)

More seriously; I think it has to do with the fact that "tweaking" some OS settings or other environment settings in order to improve performance is kindda what we're all here for. :D

So as long as what you tweak does not affect the actual benchmark itself, or take advantage of "unapproved" software... The tweaks are recognized as legal.

Change your drive letter on the fly

I used subst.exe (part of windows) and sleep.exe (can be downloaded from sleepcmd.com).

1. link virtual drive letter to xp-startup partition

2. run pcmark and choose virtual drive letter for hdd subtest in settings

3. run batch file to change virtual drive letter in background.

4. start pcmark benchmark

5. wait while benchmark finished

6. unlink virtual drive letter

Batch file:

1. wait XX seconds when xp startup finished

2. change virtual drive letter to general usage partition

3. wait YY seconds when general usage finished

4. change virtual drive letter to virus scan partition

[/Quote]

Is there anyone (poor) who still use hdd for the pcmark05 like me ??

If yes... I found a cheap trick that can give a little boost to xp startup, hdd general usage and hdd virus scan: Ready Boost.

Take a pendrive and dedicate it to readyboost. Do the first run....then do the second. You'll notice an improvement ;)

I will post a screen late.

No, I understand that. All I'm curious about is what makes these "legal" in comparison to the ones that were in question and "illegal" a long time ago?

In other words, isn't closed by the U.S. Justice department....lol

Edited by saint19

Is there anyone (poor) who still use hdd for the pcmark05 like me ??

If yes... I found a cheap trick that can give a little boost to xp startup, hdd general usage and hdd virus scan: Ready Boost.

Take a pendrive and dedicate it to readyboost. Do the first run....then do the second. You'll notice an improvement ;)

I will post a screen late.

elaborate plz...

Without ReadyBoost

704561.jpg

With ReadyBoost

716593.jpg

Other Example with the notebook

w/o readyboost

655397.jpg

w/ readyboost

715341.jpg

As you can see the readyboost gives a nice improvement to the HDD General usage .... and a little improvement also for XP Startup and Virus Scan ;)

In your example, readyboost is not helping XP startup. If anything, its within the margin of error - XP startup fluctuates a MB or two in my experience using regular HDDs. I don't mean to criticize you, but only help understand what your test shows.

The general usage and virus scan scores do have nice improvements however! Nice testing.