HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

It seems that some of the staff has been informed of some of these tweaks and they themselves have been using them. Still, other staff members post regularly, asking the members to share the "tweaks" so that they can be properly evaluated. It seems odd that one staff member knows the tweaks and others don't.

It's because the staff are benchers too. ;)

Nobody is willing to give up secrets in the name of fair play because it takes away their edge. The staff is more loyal to their benching teams than they are to the site.

Not all the staff mind you, just some.

@ Sweet- Hola Alex. :)

We have not spoke in a long time. I miss that. Don't be a stranger.

Edited by Mr.Scott

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew
It's because the staff are benchers too.

Nobody is willing to give up secrets in the name of fair play because it takes away their edge. The staff is more loyal to their benching teams than they are to the site.

Not all the staff mind you, just some

Yes it is ;)

The most important tweaks I've used have been developed by overclockers of my country and are not equal to those who have used other overclockers from other countries.

Some of them, such as changing the HDD, I chatted with Gluvocio (only), but he uses a different method.

If you look, no one in Latin America, wants to use the PCMark, everyone thinks it's cheating, that is why we stopped using, and maybe have much reason. (this include the great overclockers of this region like rbuass - nacho_arroyo - siouxx, etc. )

I think you can only make tweaks involving "only" the OS and that in no way change anything, as increasing a subtest score with script, in the original benchmark

@Scotty is good to be back, I took some time to reflect and do other things with my old car. (hobby of course )

cheers my friend :)

Note: Anyone remember 3DMark'99 cpu tweak ?

Edited by Sweet
add note

The staff is more loyal to their benching teams than they are to the site.

Mr. Scott, do you think it will be wise to throw into the wild something like this? How will the results be moderated if tomorrow half PCM benchers start putting up 80K+ scores?

Those with experience have a shadowy idea of what most of this arguable 'tweaks' do, those who don't just stop playing it.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you're interested in any of the subtests, tho I am sure it's not the case.

Mr. Scott, do you think it will be wise to throw into the wild something like this?

I DID say just some of the staff, not all.

One would be very naive to think otherwise. People hold their tweaks very close to themselves, I expect the staff to be no different. I meant no disrespect. I just call it as I see it.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you're interested in any of the subtests, tho I am sure it's not the case.

Don't underestimate me. I'm fully aware of what most of the subtest tweaks are.

Believe what you want, I'm no longer interested in PCM05 as a valid benchmark. I am however interested in keeping this and any other bench cheat free.

Edited by Mr.Scott

• Crew

For the record to ALL.

Days ago GENiEBEN, staff member, has shown all the staff how it works- text edit tweak-

Each member of staff is also a bencher, but always, the crew, prioritize research on every tweak in each of the benchmarks.

Maybe some may not comment every tweak ( So...benchers are ), but finally, we have a good discussion of each of the changes that may or may not allow.

By now tweak text edit is the discussion, well....sincerely I'm the one that discusses.

I will not deny that the discussion is also, what is the limit of tweaks that can afford, because anytime one Sempron 2200+ show better score than 3770k, both w/accard or ssd or anything like HDD :rolleyes:

Thanks Gen !! :ws:

I had to make this clarification

Edited by Sweet

Thank you Alex. That makes everything a little more clear now.

Maybe if the rest of the staff were a little more transparent, less conclusions like mine would be drawn.

As stated before, no disrespect was meant, I just communicate what I see.

Edited by Mr.Scott

• Crew
You only have to ask Christian, he has TE and webpage too and use it :P

Thanks, We talked a lot with Christian about it, but a telephone is very expensive, only been made in the staff and in the facebook.

Christian is part of the staff too, and think about it totally different.

But i dont know his page, what is the link ? :)

My feeling is :

#think you can only make tweaks involving "only" the OS and that in no way change anything, as increasing a subtest score with script, in the original benchmark#

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm right :P

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
I only contact him by pm. And i use TE and webpage because he said to me i can use it, its allowed;)

I live in Buenos Aires - Argentina (15000 Kms), and a call from he can be more expensive than a 3770k.

Look, perhaps next year I traveled to Germany - Netherlands - Austria and Italy, with my family (i hope), I prefer saving those euros for the trip :P

Well...sorry for the Off

Thank you Alex. That makes everything a little more clear now.

Maybe if the rest of the staff were a little more transparent, less conclusions like mine would be drawn.

As stated before, no disrespect was meant, I just communicate what I see.

Yes i know, many think like you and that is the problem :)

Perhaps the communication of each member of staff, with benchers, should be more fluid.

NOT by Telephone, please :P

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
So you say if I only could replace a 3DMark03 scene runtime with another scene which includes a plain perfectly flat land and sky, it would be legit? And get 1000% boost?

Or maybe omit the sky too, why not...

What ? not i am not !!!!, I am not flexible in this, this is a cheat, that is the problem w/PcMark., the limit of the hack

I'm not a little experience in the benching. Decided to return to this test after more than a year, but eventually discovered that all is now allowed.

Since when has the ability to write scripts that substitute temporary files during testing was praised as skill?

Why do the top 10 not put the scripts for all to see?

Were checked all available to the public tweaks, including this thread, but rezulaty mildly dull.

No one thing is clear, as it is achieved in the TE, TW, WPR (IE9) and enkoding so stunning results, except for the substitution of the test files?

• Crew
Since when has the ability to write scripts that substitute temporary files during testing was praised as skill?

This is not allowed ;)

-use default PCMark settings

-Forbidden Software or Hardware:

* - software ramdisk (iRam is allowed)

* - MFT Software

* - ramcache software

Forbidden Tweaks:

* - any software or human interaction altering the perceived speed of the benchmark program, tricking it to believe it ran faster

r

• Crew

This is not allowed ;)

-use default PCMark settings

-Forbidden Software or Hardware:

* - software ramdisk (iRam is allowed)

* - MFT Software

* - ramcache software

Forbidden Tweaks:

* - any software or human interaction altering the perceived speed of the benchmark program, tricking it to believe it ran faster

Okay, someone (person #1) gets 300K in Text Edit using the so-called legal tweak. Me as person #2 will use illigal script to get the same 300K in TE - then how can hwbot staff differ one result from another? I will not share my tweak as even hwbot staff benchers don't share and my results will be quite in line with other top20 scores as hardware doesn't matter anymore. How can you tell my result that will be a violation of the rules from a top result that is legit if all subtests are quite similar?

I think most people in this thread would like to know the principle of tweaks not the exact way to do them. Can someone from top20 share the ideas? If noone can then I will put my mind that top20 players are not sure themselves the ideas they implement are 100% legit.

Okay, someone (person #1) gets 300K in Text Edit using the so-called legal tweak. Me as person #2 will use illigal script to get the same 300K in TE - then how can hwbot staff differ one result from another? I will not share my tweak as even hwbot staff benchers don't share and my results will be quite in line with other top20 scores as hardware doesn't matter anymore. How can you tell my result that will be a violation of the rules from a top result that is legit if all subtests are quite similar?

True story.

I can show even 1 million TE with the same tweak as I can show you 300K but my "tweak" is illegal...

Do not understand the position of the administration on this issue. Quiet post results from 200 rendering 300k TE, etc.

I do not see any theme tweaks that would describe the preparation of such results, I did at this time to re-read four times in one already pulled English, which I forgot ...

I howl to give me tweaks, but only want to understand where the boundaries of what is permitted and how to define them?