HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Scott I disagree that pcm05 does not scale with cpu - it certainly does.

As for windows and storage tweaks - its part of the bench.

The same is true in other 2D and most 3D benches as well - there are some windows tweaks that you MUST do to be competitive for the top scores.

Bottom line is if you don't like to bench pcm05 then don't - easy answer. :)

couldn't be more true:)

By the way, my xp startup is currently around 800MB/s. I can dial it in to score between 205MBs - 220MBs consistently.

Using IOmeter I use the following settings:

Size (sectors) - 204800

Access Type - 32k 100% read

Time (seconds) -15s

# of workers - 1 or 2

# of I/O - adjust as necessary, 5 to 20 is a good starting point

The rest you can leave at default, or configure as you wish.

For Readyboost Tweak , you have to run Xp startup one time before running the Complete System suite. (You can also run HDD General usage and Multi Thread 3 all in one and then the Complete test) an normal USB Stick with 25mb and Readyboost on it should give you around 5 mb Boost in Xp startup , and Faster stick with usb 3 should do even more.

And if your Xp startup is too Fast Then Try Throttle stop , and clock it down for Xp startup and with macro up after the test.

By the way, my xp startup is currently around 800MB/s. I can dial it in to score between 205MBs - 220MBs consistently.

Using IOmeter I use the following settings:

Size (sectors) - 204800

Access Type - 32k 100% read

Time (seconds) -15s

# of workers - 1 or 2

# of I/O - adjust as necessary, 5 to 20 is a good starting point

The rest you can leave at default, or configure as you wish.

Addendum: You may need to manually edit access specification file size to tune things in - iometer effectiveness at pulling down your XP startup score can vary a lot if your unpulled down score is 500MB/s+. In testing, it took five minutes to dial it in on an e8400 and a 2600k, however an e6600 on the same platform as a e8400 took like half an hour... Sometimes the effectiveness of pulling the score down varies, even when using the same iometer settings. So you have to adjust.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

What effect does IOMeter have on Hard Drive General Usage and Virus Scan subtest scores?

Does it pull them down, too?

Or does the 15sec timing mean that IOMeter "kicks out" after that period of time automatically allowing the rest of the benchmark to run normally?

install OS in sata mode : raid

then install Rapid Storage Technology

( this should be the link )

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

Put SSDs in raid by this utility and with write back : enabled

you should gain much in general usage , virus scan and something in memory access

Looks glitched, top 10 scores don't score that with higher CPU freqs, and thats primarily a CPU test. A good transparent window score on SB should be 15K to 20K on windows 7 (this is the highest transparent window score in the top 20 for 4x cores: http://hwbot.org/submission/2250621_janus67_pcmark_2005_core_i7_2600k_46410_marks). The other CPU based tests seem like they are inline with good scores for his frequency - its only that subtest which seems out of whack.

Most notable on that super high transparent windows score is that its on windows 7, windows 7 typically scores 1 or 2K less than vista, tho 7 scores better in some other tests. If I were trying to maximize a transparent window score, I would not do it on 7.

I'd check if he can do it more than once. If he can, then he may have uncovered a new tweak. If not, its a glitched score and shouldn't be submitted.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

install OS in sata mode : raid

then install Rapid Storage Technology

( this should be the link )

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

Put SSDs in raid by this utility and with write back : enabled

you should gain much in general usage , virus scan and something in memory access

If you tweak this a certain way, I've seen a guy from Poland score 600 gen usage and 9000 virus scan. I don't think that kind of score is legit though, its essentially the same result as using a software ramdrive essentially.

EDIT: Correction, that Poland user was using raidxpert, not sure if Intel RST can be tweaked that way.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

Hey Guys :)

mine isn't the best trasparent windows score.... You can see the 30k of Stepons here -> http://hwbot.org/submission/2128177_steponz_pcmark_2005_core_i7_2600k_37340_marks

For now I cannot supply you a validate, because I haven't got the pcmark05 licens yet... but I think Gluvocio will post something similar to this, provided with a validation link ;)

By the way...

I have a problem with Intel RST, I can't install it on my system (W7 x64 SP1). I install It and after the reboot I'm unable to return into the OS, it stops the loading at Windows logo.

What could be the problem in your opinion ?

bob80: If its a 0x7F error message its related to detecting your storage drivers after installing Intel RST. Most commonly, people get 0x7F when IDE/AHCI/RAID is set incorrectly in bios.

Dennis: The highest win7 transparent window score in the top 20 for 4x cores is currently 15K - I hadn't looked further, thanks for mentioning steponz. I was with Janus67 when he put up that score (he was using my storage), and we were indeed running vista32 - we knew vista32 could do higher transparent window than anyone else in the top 20, so we wanted to see what sort of score we could put up with it. That was using all commonly known tweaks, most/all of which are mentioned in this thread already I believe. It turned out to be a bad tradeoff, with win7 other scores would have been higher, and the transparent window score would have been lower, but his total score would have been better.

bob80: If its a 0x7F error message its related to detecting your storage drivers after installing Intel RST. Most commonly, people get 0x7F when IDE/AHCI/RAID is set incorrectly in bios.

I haven't got any error code, the only problem is that after rebooting the os loading stops at the windows logo...the only way is to do a system restore that uninstall the RST.

As for the trasparent windows, I think that Denis could achieve 35k with his cpu, and with Vista he could go near 40k easily.

Edited by bob80

well done video, bob...

your tweak perhaps works better with W7 , but it's to test better..

@I.M.O.G : Win7 is better for memory usage on new platforms, I understood.

It seems designed to use better last cpus.

on core duo/amd I'm not still sure that vista is better. I should study better that compromise.

Software developement on PCmark seems infinite... this is a reason that I hate and I love this bench... anybody could come out with new solution and get better results...

I still have to understand many things there..

for example S_A_V 's general usage or mtech page rendering... and I believe there are still things to discover :)

I still have to understand many things there..

for example S_A_V 's general usage or mtech page rendering... and I believe there are still things to discover :)

I still need to improve my page rendering and transparent windows.

As for general usage on SSD there is no special tweaks.

Use latest firmware for SSD.

Use latest Intel RST - not from official Intel site, look at station-drivers for example. See driver build date in .inf-file, not version number.

Use small stripe size (try 4, 8 or may be 16) and enable write-back cache.

Run TRIM manually every time before you make RAID with SSD.

First run after you make RAID always better, because there is still no TRIM support for RAID.

Every next run without rebuilding and trimming RAID will be worse than previous.

Don't use RAID partition for XP Startup, if possible, use some other storage (single SSD, RevoDrive, etc).

Don't write anything on RAID partition.

Disable creating all temp/system files/folder for RAID partition ($RECYCLE.BIN, System Volume Information, etc.).

This is only for SSD in RAID, you don't need it for iRAM/Acard.

And the most important part - don't use slow SSD: no SATA2, no Intel, no SandForce, and no less than 120 Gb.

For now, I can only recommend Crucial m4, Corsair Performance Pro and Plextor M3.