HWBOT Community Forums

PCMark05 Tweaking Thread

Christian Ney

I've only gotten odd behavior on MTT2 on certain platforms with certain tweaks in place. Disabling visual themes or running in 256 colors on fmpad worked around that problem in MTT2. When the problem occurs, one of the bars in MTT2 progresses normally, while the other bar hangs until it completes, then the hung bar completes... You get a score as it doesn't report an error, but that subtest score is very low like between 0 and 2 or something. I'd be interested to hear if that fixes the problem for you.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like that dealt with it :D Thanks! I owe you a beer :D

"one of the bars in MTT2 progresses normally, while the other bar hangs until it completes, then the hung bar completes..." That's EXACTLY what I was getting :)

I'm scared that i'm almost beginning to enjoy PCM05 again..... that means £££ :(:P

Depends how strong the storage is you are using. I use iometer, which takes some tweaking, but once dialed in can be accurate within <10mb/s for XP startup... that's to pull down the areca which scores around 1000 or so uncrippled.

On anything else, a file copy started just before pcmark starts did the trick for me. You could also use a copy wazaa app, or something like that.

With a 265 XP startup, I would just throw a file copy at the drives. Different types of files work differently. For that in the past I would have usually grabbed a copy of a few program file folders, or some benching app/tool folders and just push them over. If it needs pulled down more, I'd grab more folders, if it needs less, I'd pull fewer. I'd just run XP startup until I was sure I had it timed right.

Throwin a bunch of smaller files might work better than one large file - if you throw a large file at it, the xp startup may initialize but not actually run until the large file copy is done. You want the copy running at the same time as XP startup for a few seconds to pull it down just by 50MB or so.

I just use IOMeter. It was a pain to figure out, but its the best solution. Stevero pointed me in the direction, and I put in some time getting it to work well - at first it was inconsistent and needed constant tweaking.

• Crew

Can't get the file copy method working. I can either start to copy it before running PCMark - that way PCMark halts and can't run till the copy ends. Or I can run it right after running PCMark - that way 50% is that the bench halts like described above. And then I get over 250MB/s. Or copy runs during test and I get about 32MB/s :D

The less files I take the more frequently the copy ends before the test runs (halting it).

Now where's that IOmeter? :)

So I did a reinstall of W7x64 yesterday and I still have the same problem still, the bob80 tweak works about 1% of the time.

I've tried everything I can thing of, yesterday I tried disabling services that i don't use and that did not help that problem...

When you start Pcmark does it say "Pcmark needs stay on top windows to be closed to work properly"?

When I turn off themes thet message disappear but then 2D windows is super slow due to no Aero I guess.

I've only gotten odd behavior on MTT2 on certain platforms with certain tweaks in place. Disabling visual themes or running in 256 colors on fmpad worked around that problem in MTT2. When the problem occurs, one of the bars in MTT2 progresses normally, while the other bar hangs until it completes, then the hung bar completes... You get a score as it doesn't report an error, but that subtest score is very low like between 0 and 2 or something. I'd be interested to hear if that fixes the problem for you.

I tried Server 08 and the problem re-appeared, even with your advice in place :(

If I can sort out this and one other problem, server08 will be giving me the best efficiency out of the O.S. i've tried so far :) One more to try after this

It worked for me on server 08 as well. You can use other options on that same property page, like 256 colors or something. ;)

I found server 08 to be good for some things, but a trade off in some subtests. At the end of the day, it catered to some platforms better than others. Also depends on storage setup for me, which is best.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

Your reply is too fast bro :D My scores appear to have "come correct" and Server08 now has a lead of 8-10% for me :D

I don't have any SSD arrays to play with, nor a 58x0 card... so plenty more points to be found :D

Probably need a Sempron 145 to compete anyway, but this is chilled out fun, I like it :)

Thanks for the iometer advice, I guess I have to learn to use that program then :)

none of you ever tried raid0 on the nf4 controller, did you?:D I've slipstreamed a bunch of drivers, and i get a 0x0000007B error, which inciated a problem with the storage drivers. Works on the SIl3114 chip, but that one is SATA I, and I don't think it scores better than a single SSD on the nf4 controller lol.

I only get 0x7B when BIOS configuration for the sata port mismatches driver configuration in the OS. AHCI/RAID/IDE is set wrong for installed drivers -> BSOD when trying to load windows.

I have not tried NF4 though, so there may be something weird about NF4 controllers that I don't know about.

I wouldn't install my OS to the disks you are planning to run the storage benches on though either, if you can avoid it. So, your OS disk should preferably be AHCI/IDE.

IOMeter can be intimidating at first, plenty of options - I figured it out and wrote a guide for our team.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

• 2 weeks later...

IE9.... Every time I try to install on W7, I have to get a working net connection and have to install updates. KB2454826 fails every time. I've also downloaded that .msu separately and the problem is still there.

I can't be the only person to have had this problem. Does anyone have a complete, standalone (offline), BS-free install of IE9?

I even dared to try official Microsoft update...... and it still didn't install

Edited by K404

IE9.... Every time I try to install on W7, I have to get a working net connection and have to install updates. KB2454826 fails every time. I've also downloaded that .msu separately and the problem is still there.

I can't be the only person to have had this problem. Does anyone have a complete, standalone (offline), BS-free install of IE9?

I even dared to try official Microsoft update...... and it still didn't install

I have one, give me one or two days for find it on my hdds.

Nice web page score. I still haven't figured that out. Cool classic window border on PCM05 and aero on the others too. :D

Transparent should have more, but the quality of that score all kinda depends on CPU speed so hard to judge your screen. Mine is a little better, but you are probably on stock or some crap. lol This was at 5.7, which helps transparent a bit, but there are little tweaks that give a bit extra, and others have done better yet: http://hwbot.org/image/747513.jpg