HWBOT Community Forums

Audible noises from ga-x79-ud7 MOSFETs, is my board damaged?

With the F6 and F7 BIOS, my Gigabyte ga-x79-ud7 made clearly audible sounds. I have F8 now, and I'm going to test again with my stethoscope.

The sounds came from the two rows of black cubes in-between the CPU and the heat-pipe riser. The sounds were loudest with heavy graphics card use, but are noticeable with any significant IO load, including USB devices. The sounds are as loud as conversation, (30-60db at one meter on my sound level meter). The sounds are similar to hisses, squeals, squeaks, scratches and ticks.

My question now is if I should just RMA or return the board. I want to overclock it, but I don't expect to ever have a stable system if the power regulators are fried.

If you're sure it's the board, just return it.

I tested the UD7 with F8 release at high-volt high-load and found no issue whatsoever regarding stability (http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=145651&postcount=100). All I heard of was one guy putting a board to fire, but IIRC the same guy retested with F7 bios and the board went through testing just fine.

Maybe you're just unlucky. It happens.