HWBOT Community Forums

Need feedback: contact procedures when problem with score/user/team

Hey all,

As you know, we're currently working on a 2012 update of the rulebook. One of the topics we're also tryign to streamline is how to contact a member in case there's something wrong with a score, a user or a team.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions or ideas about this topic? For instance:

- do you prefer contact by email or PM?

- do you always want to have your Team Captain included in the email conversation?

- do Team Captains want an on-site overview of all the blocked scores or communication (eg: a new tab 'communication' under team profile)

- when/how would you like to be contacted?

And so on.

Feedback welcome :)

Personally I prefer PM over E-Mail. I get so many e-mails on a daily basis, an e-mail from Hwbot is just one of many then. But if I refresh the Hwbot forum site and see I recieved a new PM I know it's a Hwbot matter and nothing else. However in case a user doesn't visit the Hwbot forum regularly, he can still get an e-mail about a new PM sent from the forum software automatically.

- do you always want to have your Team Captain included in the email conversation?

Not in general. I guess most of the time moderators have to deal with insufficent verificiation or description issues, which are minor problems and can be solved without a team captain in a more efficient way. If it is about a serious matter (like cheating) team captains should be involved. Howerver please notice the bigger a team is the more team captains it usually has. So before we end up dealing with 5+ discussing people, which can mean 5 different opinions and that it takes 5x the time, we should find a way to slim down that discussion process if necessary. One option I can think of is, that a user can choose which team captain should be involved if sth. serious happens and this one is the only one, who is allowed to moderate between the affected user and the staff members then. However that's maybe too much red tape again. :o

- do Team Captains want an on-site overview of all the blocked scores or communication (eg: a new tab 'communication' under team profile)

Info/details are always helpful for team captains. A thing worth thinking about is, what is part of the communication and what is not. It should be possible to have a private sphere, because being part of a team does not necessarily mean you want your team captains to know about every detail you discuss with the Hwbot staff.

When? If a problem appears? Not before 6am maybe? :D Ok, no kidding, I'm not sure what this quesion is about. I think it's important to differ between passive communication and active communication. Passive communication means e.g. you have a subpage which lists all result moderation actions, which affect you. It can be like a database/archive, too. Active communications means I get an e-mail/PM and somebody expects an answer/some kind of reaction. The latter one should be rarely used, otherwise it's overkill for the users and the Hwbot staff.

• Crew

I prefer being contacted by PM, I visit this site (almost) daily and I don't want spam on my E-Mail account! :P

This is convenient I think, I handle all of the reported scores of my team and I'd like to be in the know about what happens. If it's really personal the mods can still switch to PMs.

I like the idea of having an archive of all the reported scores and communication. After they're moderated the scores can be marked inactive but you can still have a look at them later on. Just make two new tabs under Mod tools, rename Moderate reported submissions to Moderate reported submissions/communication and make another one Archived reported submissions/communication.

Only during normal business hours. ;)