LN2 costs

Mean Machine

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0.72cents a liter from Praxair:)

Airgas wanted $6.25 a liter, douches

Airgas quoted me the same. I emailed them what I was going to be using it for and sent some pictures over and pretty flat out told them what I could afford and the accepted it. I pay $0.50 a liter on my 50L and every other time is free...so techinically its $0.25L

Let me know if you think an invoice would get them headed in the right direction for you and I can scan it but let them know what you are doing and that is a hobby for you. Pretty sure cost for them is about $0.05 - $0.10 a liter.

:mad: Today praxair quoted me ~$2 and airgas quoted me $4. Where the hell in the US do you guys live that you get it so low? If I could get it for <$1 I would fill it up every weekend and use 120L per month.

I go to the Raleigh, NC Airgas and get it at $0.50/L. I did it by showing reciepts from a friend of mine in OH (different Airgas region). Print these...

Receipt 1

Receipt 2

Receipt 3

...and take them in with you to Airgas to see if they'll match the price. My Airgas started at $6.00/L. I talked them down to $1.00/L but needed the receipts to get the $0.50/L price. They literally had never heard of it being sold that cheap. Once you show them it is, in fact, done (and assuming they are nice like the folks at my Airgas), they have no problem matching it.

As for how much it costs (and I'm spitballing here, this is not something I know for sure), the LN2 is relatively inexpensive because it's a byproduct. Wiki says you make LN2 by fractional distillation of liquid air. There are other, more expensive, products produced in that fractional distillation, such as helium and oxygen.

Since they're separating the air anyway, it doesn't cost much more to grab the nitrogen at its fractional spot in the distillation process. Sure, the initial investment is high but the goal is those more expensive and more widely used gasses (well, liquids). That's my random guess as to how LN2 can be relatively "cheap" to make.

Guest cowgut

Airgas in jersey is too high $7.00 this time they said,up from $2 when i started going there.

f them ..i will try to print out the reciept and see what they say..i think it will be like"oh thats not the new jersey price" or something.

FWIW, according to my guys, Airgas is soon moving to a national system rather than the regional silliness with their ancient computer systems. At that point they'll be able to pull the prices themselves and you won't need receipts. Since it will be a national system, price matching should be easier at that point. Since it's going to happen anyway, they might as well give it to you now. If you meet resistance, you can always try that argument.

:mad: Today praxair quoted me ~$2 and airgas quoted me $4. Where the hell in the US do you guys live that you get it so low? If I could get it for <$1 I would fill it up every weekend and use 120L per month.

I get it for $.50/L. They also quoted me something ridiculous when I called on the phone. I had to negotiate a better price by talking to them and stuff. Businesses which don't ask questions, or where the buyer is just expensing it... They probably just pay the initial offer price of $3/4 bucks. When they check you out, they just type in the actual price they charge you for it... There isn't a set price in the computer they have to charge.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

Airgas quoted me the same. I emailed them what I was going to be using it for and sent some pictures over and pretty flat out told them what I could afford and the accepted it. I pay $0.50 a liter on my 50L and every other time is free...so techinically its $0.25L

Let me know if you think an invoice would get them headed in the right direction for you and I can scan it but let them know what you are doing and that is a hobby for you. Pretty sure cost for them is about $0.05 - $0.10 a liter.

that would be awesome sir:)

Unfortunately I think I will be spending my money with Praxair but I would love to have as many receipts as possible from different vendors so I can try to get it for $.50c as most of you guys are doing.

FWIW, according to my guys, Airgas is soon moving to a national system rather than the regional silliness with their ancient computer systems. At that point they'll be able to pull the prices themselves and you won't need receipts. Since it will be a national system, price matching should be easier at that point. Since it's going to happen anyway, they might as well give it to you now. If you meet resistance, you can always try that argument.

ha I did some research and found out they are still on a DOS based system:D

they spent the money and are currently in the process of deploying SAP, so everyone is in training atm (6 week course), so hopefully after they implement their system things will be a little bit smoother.

They have had the SAP solution at the 2 airgas stations near me for some time. Both price match according to receipts, as I've always done cash over the counter without an account. The 2nd Airgas did comment that they never sell it that cheap and I was getting a good deal.

This has been an ongoing thread for awhile, not sure if anyone from Idaho posted prices but I get 180ltr tank which costs me $150US. Price includes LN2 and a month of tank rental. There is $30US tacked on for the delivery and a pickup charge when I am done. Works out to be roughly .83 cents a liter not including delivery charges

Large tank usually lasts me about two weeks depending on how much benching I do. :)

• 2 weeks later...
This has been an ongoing thread for awhile, not sure if anyone from Idaho posted prices but I get 180ltr tank which costs me $150US. Price includes LN2 and a month of tank rental. There is $30US tacked on for the delivery and a pickup charge when I am done. Works out to be roughly .83 cents a liter not including delivery charges

Large tank usually lasts me about two weeks depending on how much benching I do. :)

that sick, from airgas or private?

• 7 months later...
Guest cowgut

I get dice really cheap 50lb blocks for $15 i know the guy who supplies the "dry ice depots" in n.j.

If its not getting sold someones has to use it before it goes into the air right?

It anit like ln2 where you can keep it in a dewar for awhile

Tommorrow i go to get ln2 and i know them bastards are going to charge me $4l

I got a cost increase. Previously I posted about $.50/L. They bumped me to $.55/L and I did my best negotiation to ensure they didn't take me to $.60/L though they tried. I usually buy 150-200L at a time, and when I have enough time, I buy 400/L a month. Fortunately my prices aren't as bad as many people have, but I've shopped around and done a lot of negotiating... But a 10% price increase is a lot, and I'm really glad they didn't get me for the 20% they were shooting for. It would have cost me about $40 extra a month for the same amount of stuff, plus every trip in the truck to pick it up costs me another $15 round trip in gas, along with 2 hours drive/fill time.

Prices are for my own dewars getting filled (150L + 50L), and my own transportation to/from facility.

Edited by I.M.O.G.