HWBOT Community Forums

The big MSI MOA 2012 Thread

Booj

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm..was just thinking of this contest.

So the prizes will be ticket to TW only.

While probably some month later, LOC will have the usual cash prizes + ticket to TW too?

funny. Who dares to skip regional contest, and fully focus on LOC :)

hasnt it been before that there are no limits to GPU cores etc? I dont have the money for 4x7970s on ln2 lol!

I have one question regarding the HWs

For example, MOA EMEA starts 18.5. and only normal MSI 680 and 7970 Lightning is available. And if GTX 680 Lightning comes out e.g. 25.5., are we allowed to use it then?

Because many users won't be able to buy it in their countries...

Edited by Quake

I have one question regarding the HWs

For example, MOA EMEA starts 18.5. and only normal MSI 680 and 7970 Lightning is available. And if GTX 680 Lightning comes out e.g. 25.5., are we allowed to use it then?

Because many users won't be able to buy it in their countries...

Anything what you can buy in market before competition start.

By the way, just a point I want to bring up.

I know the competition is pretty 'high-end', so not everyone has the financial capabilities to compete for the tickets. I see some of you are also writing ~ "we'll compete if it's more fair". But keep in mind that this kind of large OC competitions will only continue if MSI sees that there's interest from the community and one of the parameters is number of people that join the event.

Just saying that it might be more interesting from a community-point of view to join the event to support it (and write a small message "hey - please make it more fair") rather than posting a forum message saying you won't submit because of the rules. There's a difference between 15 people competing with 0 complaints (in the scores) and 30 people competing with 15 complaints (in the scores).

Just saying :P

By the way, just a point I want to bring up.

I know the competition is pretty 'high-end', so not everyone has the financial capabilities to compete for the tickets. I see some of you are also writing ~ "we'll compete if it's more fair". But keep in mind that this kind of large OC competitions will only continue if MSI sees that there's interest from the community and one of the parameters is number of people that join the event.

Just saying that it might be more interesting from a community-point of view to join the event to support it (and write a small message "hey - please make it more fair") rather than posting a forum message saying you won't submit because of the rules. There's a difference between 15 people competing with 0 complaints (in the scores) and 30 people competing with 15 complaints (in the scores).

Just saying :P

Good words sir.

I uploaded my scores with a 7970 that's not more in my hands and a old P67 mobo that's not very good for overclock, I know that with my current points I will not win but my main idea was participate, maybe I have luck for win in the lucky draw.

• 4 weeks later...

In response to some questions regarding the upcoming 680 lightning and the APAC qualifier.

Regardless of the release date of the 680 Lightning, whether it's before or after APAC qualifier kick-off, it will not be allowed to use it during the qualifier. This to make sure the qualifier event is not just function of Lightning availability and/or sampling :).

PE = Power Edition.

- Triple Overvoltage: adjust the voltage of GPU, memory and VDDCI to unleash the potential of graphics card.

- Enhanced PWM Design: provide 17 PWM phase to get higher overclocking capability and better stability.

I ordered a Lightning. We'll see.

lol

Newegg has Lightning stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127670

Not sure what the PE card is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127677

Maybe one of the MSI guys can chime in with some insight.

Lol, the price is higher than in Ukraine :banana:

Usually we've bigger cost of hardware here in our country.

Alright, posting this here because it's relevant to both EMEA and APAC qualifier.

!! AfterBurner Extreme for 7970 Lightning !!

Okay, as you all know, it's not that easy for MSI to just hand out fully unlocked versions of Afterburner to any user. Why? Warranty issues, obviously. You don't want a noob shooting 2V through their card and then RMA it 'because it stopped working'. For the MOA participants, who we assume are familiar with the badassness that is LN2, things are a little different. Usually, they know the risks of extreme overclocking and how to keep everything as safe as possible.

So, for the people who want to use their 7970 Lightning in the MOA qualifiers MSI will be providing Afterburner Extreme software. There are a couple of rules, though. Please make sure you've read through all of them before applying!!

THE RULES

A. Application period:

- EMEA Qualifier : From today to June 5 (Only open for EMEA region OCer)

- APAC Qualifer: June 15-June 22 (Only open for APAC region OCer)

B. Application procedure:

- Overclocker must send the request to HWBOT (pieter@hwbot.org) and get the NDA contract form.

- Overclocker must prepare the content including:

--- signed NDA contract

--- picture of the sticker of your R7970 Lightning (ie: proving you have a 7970 lightning)

--- the link for their overclocking photo with LN2 (ie: proving you've done LN2 before)

- The process for tool building takes at least 2 work days

C. Application notes:

- The Afterburner tool will expire when the competition is over (EMEA : 6/15, APAC: 7/20)

- All the Afterburner extreme will shows the user’s name on the Afterburner interface.

- The Afterburner Extreme user is prohibited to share or leak to other user.

- User must understand there is risk for using the Afterburner Extreme and MSI will NOT provide warranty for overclocking damage

- If there is found a user leak or share the Afterburner extreme, the user will be forever disqualified from MSI’s OC event in the future. And also be disqualified for enter the MOA2012 Grand Final

- If the user been disqualified to MOA2012 Grand Final. The next winner will take the ticket to MOA 2012 Grand Final.

- For the complete rule please refer to the NDA contract. Thanks!

D. Application package:

- Afterburner Extreme

- Special BIOS for R7970 Lightning

MASSMAN'S NOTES

So, just to make everything clear: during application period, MOA participants can request a version of the Afterburner Extreme + the OC bios for the 7970 Lightning. Outside the application period, I can't help you anymore and you'll have to go through your local office to request a version. The rules for the application are very clear: share and you're dead. If you don't agree, no problem ... don't request a software version then. If you kill your card, for the love of OC don't sent it back to RMA.

Thumbs up!