HWBOT Community Forums

Testing 45x Core i7 3930K (C2) ...

Yea, my SB does x55 multi, but only 5400MHz for single-threaded stuff.

Are the 3930K chips really OCing better than the 3960X? I'd imagine that Andre alone can bin enough X chips to make up for fewer people buying them :D

Could the cache be holding back MHz?

Yea, my SB does x55 multi, but only 5400MHz for single-threaded stuff.

Are the 3930K chips really OCing better than the 3960X? I'd imagine that Andre alone can bin enough X chips to make up for fewer people buying them :D

Could the cache be holding back MHz?

it's only http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26437/nice%20ass.jpg factor, if u have it nice u find good chip :D

I don't see any statistical indication that cache would be the limiting factor. Or, at least, that lower cache would yield higher OC results in some way.

That 3930K 'seems' better is just down to sample test size. And that's just down to pricing: who cares about a $1000 X if you can buy a $550 K that has similar performance and similar overclocking capabilities.

if even Massman can do it, I think Andre can as well, given his budgets and access to hardware .. we haven't yet seen any 'new' scores from ASUS ROG dept ;)

don't think that cache is holding it back (2500K are not usually better than 2600K)

Two words: "Ivy Bridge".

By the way, if someone wants some binning advise:

At a certain moment, we were hitting a rough patch in our session as we were only hitting 52-54x for 10-15 chips straight. Then I picked two from the bunch based on the serial number and both of them were 57x chips. The first 57x of that batch had 152x as end of the serial and from the pack I selected 143x and 141x (those were 57x).

The batch of SB-E doesn't mean that much, but if you know the serial number of a good clocking one, pick one that is close to that. It's not a 100% certainty, but it feels like there's at least a higher chance on hitting a good one. I saw the same with 2600K, by the way, so it's not just these 3930Ks.

Hello Brother,

142x or 143x When you say referred to the X? is a number anyone?

Example S / N XXXXXXXXX142X?

Example S / N XXXXXXXXX143?

Which of the 2 would be correct?

forgive but sometimes when you switch to another language and sometimes changing the words are not understood as they should.

regards

6c/12t Hiwa? For me with these chips HT on/off and/or disabling cores makes rather big difference. Second 57x chip from another batch i found yesterday:

cpu-5600.jpg

Too hot under SS to do 56x HT enabled but does reset at 57x.

Edited by Viss

in my tests yes

my cpu can do 5540 and do vantage cpu test at 5520 same with all SB and SBE chips i ever tested,

what about ur +5900 cpu viss?

Less for now :D I did not use over 1.60v yet though. I think it wil max out at +/- 5800mhz Vantage CPU 6c/12t at 1.65v or so. 4c/8t does 5900mhz 06 CPU test at 1.60v.

Viss: did you test C2 with older BIOS versions? I'm getting the feeling the one I'm using right now isn't cooperating very well with C2.

1101 is the only bios i have tested so far, next time i wil try older one as wel.

Edited by Viss

vantage cpu test and max validation difference is 10 to 20MHz max in my tests.

My CPU does 2 core test's at 5,8 GHz but Vantage etc 6c/12t test's only 5,75GHz so it seems that all cpu's wont scale that well.

Or it also might be that cpu needs lower temps, but if cpu is unable to handle any colder, you cant do anything about it..

As I mentioned to some people, I'm re-trying the method on the 57x chips and it seems that C2 is behaving very different from C1. A specific chip is rebooting perfectly to 57x multiplier, but won't reach over 5250 in OS.

The XPower-II is giving more 'accurate' results from my experience, but I need to cross-check more chips to be certain. To be updated!

(PS: no chips have been send from Tones, so only crushed hopes! :) )