HWBOT Community Forums

The official GIGABYTE Spring Extreme Competition thread.

zeneffect

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit i do like the contests that have prizes for the top scores, but throw in a few random draws. Doesn't matter how far you can push with ambient cooling, once the LN2/Dry Ice/cascade guys get involved, there is no chance. Won't stop me from trying, but who doesn't like to feel like they have a chance at winning something (mousepad? mouse?T-shirt?).

I must admit i do like the contests that have prizes for the top scores, but throw in a few random draws. Doesn't matter how far you can push with ambient cooling, once the LN2/Dry Ice/cascade guys get involved, there is no chance. Won't stop me from trying, but who doesn't like to feel like they have a chance at winning something (mousepad? mouse?T-shirt?).

The satisfaction of do something?

Heh. Nothing stops you from giving the prize you might win to a lucky draw :).

If I manage to get some of the top 3 places (very very unlikely, imo), I would give my prize to a lucky draw between air/water guys. I don't even have AM3+ motherboard myself, but it doesn't matter :D.

Now, let's see some serious air/water results!

PS: Uh, maybe it should be given to the best air/water guy overall, otherwise I don't encourage pushing hard, but only participating, lol.

So, let it be "the top air/water guy (not in top 3) gets it" :)

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

I give you the responsibility to decide whether it's a lucky draw or the highest ranked air/water overclocker out of the top-3 :P. The latter is better, imo.

All I want to see from the competition is some records broken. Hopefully someone will achive this. It won't be me, I don't have records-capable chips.

That's the understatement of the year. Even in SPI-32M it seems terribly slow.

Yup, Bulldozer is just slow in these benchmarks. Heard good things about it for Battlefield3 which is well threaded, but in these benches it blows. If you look at my past submissions with the FX-8120, they are better scores... My best SP32M on Bulldozer was 10M 53S @ 7.74GHz. I was also using stronger RAM and CPU-NB for BD, but it only beat my best PhenomII SP32M by 2 seconds.

There aren't many people that have a BD chip capable of running the clocks I'm pulling, and its just barely competitive... Thuban is the chip to have in this competition.

I'll be making more submissions yet. The pifast score will be improved without much trouble, and I have to fix the PCMark run since I forgot to use the official background. The SP32M run could be better, but I probably won't mess with it... wPrime32M is as good as I can do.

The PCMark05 and wprime32m scores are the highest 8 core AMD scores submitted to hwbot so far though.

BD vs. single threaded apps = lose

BD vs. floating point multi-threaded apps also = lose. Unfortunately that pretty much means anything used on hwbot. For the bot they're good for frequency and HTPP. Anything else on the bot, they're just bad.

Sure are a lot more FUN to bench than Intel though. Full pot for hours on end FTW. :nana:

The hard stage for me will be superpi and pifast, i'm not friendly of those two while wprime is more interesting and pcmark05 have a lot of tweaks.

Pifast isn't very tweakable, it's almost purely CPU frequency based. Your ram speed and timing makes a minimal difference - just change your ram divider from high to low and keep the CPU freq the same to see what I mean, no big difference.

sp32m is the opposite. cpu frequency is still the most important, but the memory subsystem and ram itself are very important to good scores as well. Don't forget to load graphics drivers too.

The satisfaction of do something?

As I said, it won't stop me from trying and pushing. I was able to improve almost every score over my original regular bot submissions.

But that is all I got. So now I will just sit back and see how far down I end up at the finish. It's still great practice and I learned a few things this round for sure.

Didn't mean it to sound like sour grapes. Just the reality of the situation.

Pifast isn't very tweakable, it's almost purely CPU frequency based. Your ram speed and timing makes a minimal difference - just change your ram divider from high to low and keep the CPU freq the same to see what I mean, no big difference.

sp32m is the opposite. cpu frequency is still the most important, but the memory subsystem and ram itself are very important to good scores as well. Don't forget to load graphics drivers too.

Thanks man, willl try that.

The rerun of my 42K PCM05 score won't happen (I forgot to use the background on that one)... My golden FX-8120 just died at stock in the 990FXA-UD7.

Going to give it a shot at killing my 555 BE now as well, fingers crossed. Should put up about the same score anyways. Losing that 8120 stings though, it was good while it lasted:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2225833_i.m.o.g._cpu_frequency_fx_8120_8235.25_mhz

Edited by I.M.O.G.

The 555 did fine, and lived to tell the story. Got a slightly better pifast out of it than the 8120:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2260783

PCMark05 did 43K:

http://hwbot.org/submission/2260786

Good scores, probably not good enough to lock up the competition though with 14 days left - guess we'll find out 5 minutes before the competition ends. :D I've had one better pifast and wprime run, and 3 better superpi32m scores - all on chips I no longer own however. PCMark05 is the only one I set a new personal best on, I'd feel safer if I broke my own records on the other ones.

Maybe I'm being stupid...but don't contests like these only award those that already have the best hardware?

I mean - nobody is going to win with a UD3 board...so what's the point? The guys with the best stuff will win. The guys that could actually use a nice new board get left out...

Totally agree!!