HWBOT Community Forums

The official GIGABYTE Spring Extreme Competition thread.

zeneffect

I think everyone starts off with air/water, but then if you want to keep up & keep improving you pretty much have to get colder (that's why I started freezing stuff, it is a little disappointing to be doing well in a comp then get blown out of the water when the extreme coolers put up scores). Another option would be to have a competition with separated enthusiast/xtreme league rankings, but then that would need double the prizes, or split things up, like ud7 for winner of extreme, ud5 for winner of enthusiast, ud3 for random among both or something.

I'm sure most of us do this because we enjoy it, & would compete whether there are prizes or not, although prizes are nice & do give some more incentive to push harder.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compete regardless. But I understand the difficulties of trying to regulate anything other than full on, no limits overclocking.

Knowing the guy actually did not go sub zero can be tricky.

I would love to try LN2 sometime, but for me, the cost is prohibitive.

Years ago ( 12?) I played around with home built TEC/water setups that easily brought temperatures down below -10 or even lower. But condensation spoiled the fun for me and I decided to stick with ambient forms of cooling. I was surprised to find HWBot a few years ago and see just how many people were using LN2.

Again. It is the same in any form of competition. Those willing to spend more in both time and money will generally do better.

Yes, it's alive. It's an old C3 and runs like a tank :D. Vcore is around 1.932V load, according to software. Unfortunately no 7GHz for me again.

Validated 6690, but I forgot to change cpuz to 1.6, doh...

I'm a little disappointed, because MILANS is some milliseconds ahead in the 955 rankings, lol.

Too bad I didn't have enough LN2 left.

Someone said, you'd need a high-end board. Not sure if a high-end one would give me higher clocks, but this board seems pretty suitable (pricetag 90 euro).

The only thing I didn't like is its inability to boot with higher than 1700MHz RAM (not sure why) and I had to go up using software in Windows.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Yes, it's alive. It's an old C3 and runs like a tank :D. Vcore is around 1.932V load, according to software. Unfortunately no 7GHz for me again.

Validated 6690, but I forgot to change cpuz to 1.6, doh...

I'm a little disappointed, because MILANS is some milliseconds ahead in the 955 rankings, lol.

Too bad I didn't have enough LN2 left.

Someone said, you'd need a high-end board. Not sure if a high-end one would give me higher clocks, but this board seems pretty suitable (pricetag 90 euro).

The only thing I didn't like is its inability to boot with higher than 1700MHz RAM (not sure why) and I had to go up using software in Windows.

So, are you waiting for more LN2 I guess...

Glad its still alive. :)

I expect there's a faster hex score coming in wp32 yet. Really hard for the quads to compete at the top of that one, but for thuban the current wp32 scores are very beatable if there's more ln2 guys yet to submit.

Sure there are, are just waiting to the last minute to upload the scores.

Din't know that disable cores was allowed. :( :(

Well, technically disabling cores is always allowed. It's just that you will always compete in the category with the stock cores.

For example: you are perfectly allowed to disabled 5 of the 6 cores of your 1090T Thuban CPU, but you will always compete against those who have all cores enabled.

Well, technically disabling cores is always allowed. It's just that you will always compete in the category with the stock cores.

For example: you are perfectly allowed to disabled 5 of the 6 cores of your 1090T Thuban CPU, but you will always compete against those who have all cores enabled.

Crap, I should tried that the last weekend. :(

Froxic: Nice submissions!

Crap, I should tried that the last weekend. :(

Its good practice to look at the top 5 submissions in any category you are competing in, and look at their submission and screenshot to compare what they are doing to what you are doing. Details like the number of threads/cores and other useful information is usually apparent as a trend here.

Thanks I.M.O.G.! I tried to do my best but have some problems with instalation coruption – 5 times! So I must reinstal XP again and again, tweak it, instal programs etc. Finally I fugured out that problems were caused by Kingston memory (but it was rock stable with same settings on AIR/WC - strange). After I used Geils it was ok, but I have small amount of time to tweak benchmarks to the edge :-( No PCmark05 complete run on LN2 too cause I have other difficulties (second day on LN2 + total about 12 hours!).

Anyway... It was my first competition and I enjoyed it!

Just one question.

The competition ends tomorrow at midnight, right? I want to be sure, because I'll be benching till the very last..as always.

That means that I'm out.

Check the GMT on your country. For example I'm in GTM -5 while the Competition have a GTM +1, so, the time that Massman gave you is based on GTM +1. The competition for me ends the 15-03-2012 at 17:30 local time.