HWBOT Community Forums

MSI 7970 Lightning

oc_windforce

7970 Lightning and DCII haven't convinced me yet!

I mean that I haven't noticed anyone with huge clocks (elmor doesn't count once he is working for MSI).

On the other side many ref. cards have scaled at 1600+ core.

yes, the max limits of Tahiti GPU you can reach with reference card, Lightning is not better on air/on ln2 then reference cards, great features ... but for nothing. And for 600 USD? No way ... this is 3-months King, real champion will be GTX 680 Lightning ... with beefy VRM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, the max limits of Tahiti GPU you can reach with reference card, Lightning is not better on air/on ln2 then reference cards, great features ... but for nothing. And for 600 USD? No way ... this is 3-months King, real champion will be GTX 680 Lightning ... with beefy VRM

Till the time Nvidia drivers give option to set Tesselation ON/OFF, I doubt GTX680 can really take off among overclockers. It needs insane clocks like Vince's results to break 7970 records.

Till the time Nvidia drivers give option to set Tesselation ON/OFF, I doubt GTX680 can really take off among overclockers. It needs insane clocks like Vince's results to break 7970 records.

yes, because the are all faked ... with tess OFF

Mini-DP to Dual Link DVI. Not too hard.

It's not supplied in the retail package and it costs 109$ on Amazon :)

P.S: Regular miniDP -> DVI adapters shipped with various VGAs work in single-link mode only so it will not work...

P.S 2: Did anyone test with GPU Reactor on and off? From my tests on air I saw little to no difference (maybe stable with less voltage at same clocks but I must test again to confirm)

Edited by matose

P.S 2: Did anyone test with GPU Reactor on and off? From my tests on air I saw little to no difference (maybe stable with less voltage at same clocks but I must test again to confirm)

A local news site also said there was no difference in OC with and without the reactor.

They were testing on air too.

well.. gotta agree. Tesselation disabled in a benchmark build around tesselation is strange to say the least...

tbh i think this was a mistake by hwbot .. now there is no way back.

I agree 100% ... except that there is no way back, where there is a will, there is a way. :)

Edited by Gunslinger

I find that a very weak argument. If it had been banned, you'd just search for scores that seem to high and remove them.

Just like scores using mipmap or other weird tricks, hwbot simply spot's and removes. No need to blame Futuremark. :)

I find that a very weak argument. If it had been banned, you'd just search for scores that seem to high and remove them.

Just like scores using mipmap or other weird tricks, hwbot simply spot's and removes. No need to blame Futuremark. :)

Tesselation has different levels, so trying to spot a 'tuned' one would turn into a complete witchhunt.

You might find it weak, but for the people who have to moderate the results it's a big issue.

Tesselation has different levels, so trying to spot a 'tuned' one would turn into a complete witchhunt.

You might find it weak, but for the people who have to moderate the results it's a big issue.

Totally right - imo there was no way for hwbot to ban "tesslation tweak" except inhuman workload...

...if you feel different, just spent 2500€ / month to hwbot to pay a "full-time-result-moderator"...they might think about it then.

"where there is a will, there is a way"

Totally right - imo there was no way for hwbot to ban "tesslation tweak" except inhuman workload...

...if you feel different, just spent 2500€ / month to hwbot to pay a "full-time-result-moderator"...they might think about it then.

"where there is a will, there is a way"

2500€?

Feel free to ban tesselation and I'll do the job :D

• 2 weeks later...

Some update

da504b26ed951eaf47a0ccc4cc022977.jpg

35e988b55b7ccf3db3c138aa3d8fe4e0.jpg

7970 Lightning LN try ( With GPU Reactor)

TEMP : -50C ~-55C

VGPU: 1.55V~1.575V

MEM : 1.7V

I will 11Mark,Vantage retry (with CPU LN2)

http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2272407_oc_windforce_unigine_heaven___xtreme_preset_(dx11)_radeon_hd_7970_3584.68_dx11_marks

GPU : 1570Mhz MEM:1850

6464a21b73dcb2e6fda803157bb540cd.jpg

GPU : 1590Mhz MEM:1850

5112dfbffc0d85c92857e9d2cf43a89c.jpg

GPU : 1550Mhz MEM:1850

a0adafd464380d24f647b67cece87703.jpg

hello

sorry to bother you

you describe how you can use the reactor

Here I have your same card

but I have not unlocked until the control voltage to the gpu ... 1.60volt

1,35 volt max .....

thanks

Edited by vega05

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Both the USD and the Euro is piss cheap at the moment, at least compared to the SEK. Despite that, the R7970 Lightning costs $800USD or 600 EUR here. I love Sweden, except when I have to buy something. Or other stuff, like for instance living here.

Edited by Mean Machine