HWBOT Community Forums

Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide (Extreme LN2 Section Guide Included)

sin0822

I didn't try 2V+ on PLL or anything about 1.75V core. I bought the chip retail, and am selling it so that I can try another chip... I didn't want to beat it up so that I could sell it in good faith.

Keep in mind my probe is bogus. I 'm pretty much at the exact same CB/CBB everyone else is talking about... My probe reads 10C warmer than it actually is. It is consistent, just inaccurate.

With the settings I changed in the ranges stated, none of them had ANY impact on CB/CBB, 1.0Vcore to 1.75V, 1.7PLL to 1.95PLL, 105bck-110bclk, CB/CBB was exactly the same regardless of settings... Maybe 2V PLL or 1.85Vcore will make a difference. If the next chip I buy does the same thing this chip does, I will try those settings.

I think no-CB could be totally blown out of the water so far... Coldbugs are beginning to look a lot more common if you look around at retail experience than we were lead to believe, or maybe more common than I wanted to think. I for one know that this IB can easily do 5.7Ghz which was really hard to do on my best 2600k, and yet I consider it a crappy chip - if it can't do 6GHz and run really cold, it isn't what I was really looking for in Ivy Bridge.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. Those seem like pretty harsh voltages at warmer than -100C I guess. 2V PLL doesn't seem too bad, but 1.9V on the CPU seems scarey without being at -190C already (maybe I'm a wuss, these chips are just new and I'm definitely being a wuss). I'll get braver with the next chip if it behaves similarly to the first.

You know, I didn't really test that... Everything I read said start at at least 105MHz to avoid CB/CBB, so I didn't even test <105MHz. Now I'm kinda curious. The chip may be sold already, but if not I may check that out.

When changing the BCLK on your 3570K that acted like mine, what temp was the coldbug at? What BCLK was it at when it coldbugged low, then what BCLK did you change to which eliminated/made the cold bug better? Seems odd that BCLK would change the coldbug... But I'm really hopeful to get another chip. Heard the same from others as well, so I just want to be a believer! :D

without BCLK, like with 100.00 BCLK i had CBB at -70C and CB at -125C, when i changed BCLK to 110 it started to do much better, CB was -155, and if I BSODs in windows I had no CBB, even if i wanted to change the BCLK again higher I wouldn't trigger it, however if i went above -155C like i hit -160C then I would be forced to go back to -70C.

Yea I made a video of it to prove it to Dino, he wouldn't believe me, lol. So i could just make a video of changing the BCLK and having a CB at -120C, then changing the BCLK and going down to -155C, and then back and forth back and forth. I had a hunch about this for a while, as some CPU didn't have a CB at all, but then I would reset BIOS and it would have a CB, but i always ran it at 110 when i did subzero OC anyways. Then again why would CPU PLL voltage help CB on other platforms? It is just as odd as BCLK to me. Perhaps with Ivy it has to do with the memory controller or system agent, and the increased BCLK changes something. I tested and found that as little as 3mhz above stock could have the same CB/CBB affects as 110.

BCLK has the most major impact I have seen for CB/CBB, for me and some other CPu PLL doesn't help CB/CBB, but perhaps the CPUs are just best at 1.8v, as higher made it worse. Now I use a bit more CPu PLL if not only to stabilize things, like 1.82v.

I used upto 2.2v CPU PLL on a CPU with CB, it didn't do much, i was scared it might die tho.

tested some chips and the cbb seems to vary between cpus in case of the minimum "possible" bclk.

3570k: min bclk without cb issues: 103,8

3770k: min bclk without cb issues: 102,5

another chip didnt even boot below -130°C with bclk 105+

Guest cowgut

Thank god my chip at least made it to -67c on dice only 5.5 dx9 3d but its good that i dont have a chip like my i7 940 that cbb/cb @-20c...you guy were scaring me.

I had some weired things going on with my 3770K (retail E1).

I benched with full pot and no CB/CBB at 104 BCLK. After a few restarts I suddenly had a CBB at -80°C. Also lifting the BCLK to 107 didn't solve the problem.

Yesterday I benched again with exactly the same settings also 104 BCLK and the CB/CBB was gone...

That happened twice now and I got no idea what causes this issue.

Board is a Z77X-UD3H

hey mate

nothing abnormal there!

i cover this in my video. A lot of CPUs have two different CBBs, actually there is a third one which we address with benching bios so as long as you are on benching bios there are two you have to be aware of. Each CPU is different but majority seem to respond the same

1) initial CBB -75C to -85C on most chips, this is due to bclock and possibly other things so that is the reason i start my settings at -75 or so and go from there

2) CBB after benching crash at full pot > usually dead on around -150C. Most chips need to be warmed up to -150 and started. my main benching chip doesn't like to be warmed up to -140 for example or if i start the setup at -155 it will then go into second CBB (-80C, painful) so as long as i repeat the process and start it at -150 it will fire up every time.

i also disable iGPU as i noticed it can cause the initial CBB after crash

one other thing to be mindful of is if you bench and crash, hit reset right away and sometimes it iwll boot cycle back into windows with full pot without shutting down (extreme bios behaves a bit better here, as it does with bios changes at low temps)

Hey dino :)

Thanks for your answer! Didn't check your video yet but will later today when I'm home.

That's good to know. Will try your tip with hitting the reset button. I can also confirm that my CPU doesn't want to startup at arround -170°C when. Have to heat up to -160°C to get it started.

hey mate

nothing abnormal there!

i cover this in my video. A lot of CPUs have two different CBBs, actually there is a third one which we address with benching bios so as long as you are on benching bios there are two you have to be aware of. Each CPU is different but majority seem to respond the same

1) initial CBB -75C to -85C on most chips, this is due to bclock and possibly other things so that is the reason i start my settings at -75 or so and go from there

2) CBB after benching crash at full pot > usually dead on around -150C. Most chips need to be warmed up to -150 and started. my main benching chip doesn't like to be warmed up to -140 for example or if i start the setup at -155 it will then go into second CBB (-80C, painful) so as long as i repeat the process and start it at -150 it will fire up every time.

i also disable iGPU as i noticed it can cause the initial CBB after crash

one other thing to be mindful of is if you bench and crash, hit reset right away and sometimes it iwll boot cycle back into windows with full pot without shutting down (extreme bios behaves a bit better here, as it does with bios changes at low temps)

3h or 5h?

Could it be that Ivy is degrading after a few hours of benching?

I could bench at 6400mhz Aquamark, now only 6200?

I would agree with your idea.

but also board with full pot always have issues after a few hours.

I'd love to know your findings after resting the board.