HWBOT Community Forums

Members (others) abusing OC League

M.Beier

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i paid for 100 pcs retail 3770K myself to bin. Could i ask to move to oc league?

hahaha :-)

lol wth are you on about m.beier? I dont really care about what leage i am or should be in BUT what i do know for damn sure its not you who wil have anything to say about it. Get your facts straight, you dont even know who i am nor what i do (and im rather happy to keep that like it is :P)

Every single CPU i have binned (and believe me you would be surprised by the actual number, its not that many at all) i have paid for myself. 200?? not even close, divide it by 5 for all SB, SB-E and IB chips i have tested so far and you wil be real close to the actual number. Every now and then i can return a used chip to swap it or lend a card for a week but thats the only bebefit i have from a local store as far as CPU's/GPU's are concerned, and no i dont work there, i have been a (good) customer there for the last years so they are happy to help me out.

Lately i have been surprised by the complaints of some of the members of this community regarding leages, ES chip and vendor support. I have read you whining about it recently in many topics however i dont recall any OC numbers from you from the last couple of years. Why do you think Intel would send out chips or GBT would actually care for you to be at any meeting if you dont bench? I just dont get it. Bench more and complain less my friend, and please never forget that in the end its only a PC we are bussy with :up:

Sorry Viss, it wasnt meant only for you, nor was the quantity related to you - please note that the figure 200, was not linked to you, that figure was from a Danish guy and in a facebook message... But others do equally..

I have no insight in your quanity, nor interest, it is none of my business, but, as you said, now and then get to test, and then return the ones you dont like - in my book, that is not a regular thing to do, the person living next door to you, cannot do that. (I guess?)

You are right about me not posting competitive benches as often, and it is not a random thing, change in priorities, and been 3½ years.

Well why have you not created a thread or PM'd Massman like Punx did?

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46062

Planet, you honestly have no clue if I have done so or not.

nope.

im just trying to make some of my money back from all this "time wasted on finding a good chip to compete with" now how is that professionalism? im just suppose to take a 31k loss and just love it? you might be able to afford that but i can't. i need to take what i need and sell the rest. am i to also understand that it's no problem when i sell to people who dont frequent the bot? or do i still fall in the pro league or professionalism?

i understand if intel just handed them to me (dont think i would be broad casting that either) ,but then that would be another story....

Deff, but do you have profit from personal binning? If you do, that is indeed a rare case

hahaha :-)

Sorry Viss, it wasnt meant only for you, nor was the quantity related to you - please note that the figure 200, was not linked to you, that figure was from a Danish guy and in a facebook message... But others do equally..

I have no insight in your quanity, nor interest, it is none of my business, but, as you said, now and then get to test, and then return the ones you dont like - in my book, that is not a regular thing to do, the person living next door to you, cannot do that. (I guess?)

You are right about me not posting competitive benches as often, and it is not a random thing, change in priorities, and been 3½ years.

Planet, you honestly have no clue if I have done so or not.

Deff, but do you have profit from personal binning? If you do, that is indeed a rare case

LOL! now that's a good one. since when is over clocking profitable. LOL!

That seems like a very fair request!

picture1.jpg

They should give you a raise or something

Dude I shit you not, it is for some... :)

Personally, its always been a huge expense here too, one of the reasons why my priorities changed...

Too busy requesting samples to bench?

Edited by Cpt.Planet

HAHAHA OWNED....

at least I had the balls to man up and join the damn league... I didnt have to be dragged into it by trying to throw others outta the lower leagues...

I look forward to distancing myself up the ranks away from this guy :P

Can we please move Marc to Pro League since he receives samples?

I think I got the idea of this thread.

This is Marcs very sneaky and clever attempt to get in to PRO OC league.

No Marc, first you need to publish some overclocked scores.

I have been asking this 1 score from you last 5 years I think :D

I clearly remember the moment when you said that "what do you think you have achieved/done" when I was having a second place in oc league. It was so funny back then and I respect you when you have done the same :)

Kiss kiss Marc darling!

Edited by SF3D
typos

nooooooooooooooo, enthousiast league only for you Andre :P

+1. Let's start a "ban Andre from using LN2" crusade!

Oh, and Leeghoofd, I am quite secure in my standing at last place in Pro thank you very much. You should join me. Being a bottom feeder isn't so bad; you get used to the taste after awhile. :banana:

EDIT - Zomg, I'm higher than Marc...PWNED!

(I kid, I kid. About the PWNED part, not about the higher than Marc part. :P )

Edited by hokiealumnus

If I hadn't killed so many along the way, my G80 & G92 binning would leave me in profit. I mean..... all the rejects that I sell... I usually make a few £. It's just a shame that most of the good ones that make it to LN2.....die.

Does that make me Professional?

R-O-F-L NO!

I think I got the idea of this thread.

This is Marcs very sneaky and clever attempt to get in to PRO OC league.

No Marc, first you need to publish some overclocked scores.

I have been asking this 1 score from you last 5 years I think :D

I clearly remember the moment when you said that "what do you think you have achieved/done" when I was having a second place in oc league. It was so funny back then and I respect you when you have done the same :)

Kiss kiss Marc darling!

Petri you hereby have my permission to publish that in public if you can find it....

Crashes can loose data, but I have not been able to locate such a line, in any logfile since 2005. In fact I believe I have clearly stated that I do not submit top benches, but use other ways.

I don't know details regarding the way Viss and others bin CPUs, but say you do get to bin 200 CPUs and buy only two of them - that's obviously a good reason to force that someone to go to the pro league. The problem is not be the two chips that are paid for, but the 198 that were tested for free...

I don't see any good reason why we force people who work for vendors to go "pro" when you can have unlimited access to a goddamn warehouse and still be in the OC league. it makes NO sense at all. The pro league is there for people who get lots of HW support. There is a fine line drawn, as we don't want to force those who get a sample or two a year to go pro. That's alot different than receiving dozens of parts. If this is thought of as OK by users and moderators/admins, then we should remove the pro league, as it has no function at all - it's just the OC league all over again, but with fewer members.

....but the Pro league is unenforced. If someone bins 200 CPUs in a warehouse and buys two, they are still buying their own hardware.... and if challenged, can show the same quality of receipt as anyone else here can.

It's like Massman (annoyingly, but understandably) said...... "we can only make rules for things we can enforce"

Are HWB going to put in place RULES for entry to the pro league and move people over whether they like it or not?

I don't even know why i'm "against" this.... in theory, it makes my life easier, to have some of the competition moved to another league :P

• Crew

If you could bench with all the GPUs and CPU 's of that wharehouse and post scores with all the hardware I then would agree with you Knopf. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to bin all these darn things. How many miles it takes driving from and to the shop, for sometimes nothing... most just think that it's easy and about money...

So if I buy a 4000 dollar cherry picked CPU I'm still okay in the OC league ? Pro league to me is for guys that are tied to particular brands, that work for them or get free hardware to bench with...Almost all are talented/gifted with OC skills, hence why they get support from manufacturers.

What do you do with eg the few that are at the top in the air/water league, most of them have their own pc shop. They have more hardware access too. Can you force them into the pro league and let them bench on LN2 ?

In fact anyone that has a lot of hardware can or must move into the pro league ? Is it all about if it's free or not ? isn't it ?

I'm not okay with the fact that someone can decide who has to go and who doesn't into the Pro league... you move to pro IF you are tied to a sponsor or brand affiliated. The rest is on free will, no matter how much warehouse access he or she has...

Edited by Leeghoofd

Kenny let me ask you this then...

'I have no money like Andre but I leased about 80 Intel Sandy bridge cpu and didn't find good. Bought good 2500k when I knew its potential'

This was posted today on hwbot, do you think it is ok to lease 80 CPU's, and then be in OC league? I think having such option should make one swap to pro league...

Frankly, I do not get the fear of joining the league..

"other ways"

haha nice one Gautam ;)

Sure that is one of the things I have done.... But you as a XS admin, will know that this(thread) isnt exactly my first quite controversial move in the past years.

If you could bench with all the GPUs and CPU 's of that wharehouse and post scores with all the hardware I then would agree with you Knopf. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to bin all these darn things. How many miles it takes driving from and to the shop, for sometimes nothing... most just think that it's easy and about money...

Oh noes, you have to spend €5 in gas money to bin a few €300 CPUs. And how is time a factor here? It applies to everyone with access to lots of hardware, even vendor supported people who you want to stay in the pro league. If anything, that's an argument that supports my view - vendor supported people = shop supported people.

If it's such a pain in the ass, why don't you refuse to be a CPu testing slave? You accept that work because of a good reason... it gives you a very nice edge in finding a golden chip, and it's alot cheaper than buying a bunch of CPUs on ebay and have mr postman deliver them, even though you save gas money that way.

So if I buy a 4000 dollar cherry picked CPU I'm still okay in the OC league ?

It's more OK than a store supported guy. At least you paid a price that's above retail level for the chip you tested, which is not the case in the scenario I wrote in my first post (then you tested 198 chips that you didn't pay a cent for, except gas money).

Pro league to me is for guys that are tied to particular brands, that work for them or get free hardware to bench with...Almost all are talented/gifted with OC skills, hence why they get support from manufacturers.

"or get free hardware to bench with". Don't try to convince me that being allowed to bin 200 CPUs for free is not within the definition of getting "free hardware to bench with". The difference between benching and binning is not relevant, the system is used to gain ranks here, which is the important part.

What do you do with eg the few that are at the top in the air/water league, most of them have their own pc shop. They have more hardware access too. Can you force them into the pro league and let them bench on LN2 ?

If they pay for their own stuff, I don't see the issue. shops don't get CPUs from Intel for free. The price is lower, but not an unreasonable amount lower (it's not like you can get a 3930k for 200 euros because you have a shop).

In fact anyone that has a lot of hardware can or must move into the pro league ? Is it all about if it's free or not ? isn't it ?

I have a shitload of CPUs, but I've barely received anything from vendors. No CPUs so far, just a couple of mobos. I don't see why I should be moved to the pro league because I bought 500++ CPUs on ebay the past few years. Paid with my own hard earned money, unlike people who can meet up at a warehouse and bin through as many chips they like without paying for their rejects. I paid € for all my rejects.

I'm not okay with the fact that someone can decide who has to go and who doesn't into the Pro league... you move to pro IF you are tied to a sponsor or brand affiliated. The rest is on free will, no matter how much warehouse access he or she has...

Disagree. Then we could just as well let vendor supported people choose, too.

Edited by knopflerbruce

Are HWB going to put in place RULES for entry to the pro league and move people over whether they like it or not?

Only the obvious ones move ... and none of them ever complained about it.

Seriously guys, what's next? People will have to mail HWBOT staff a montly report of the money they spent on hardware? And if you're over budget, you have to move from the "poor man's league"?

For 99,99% of the folks, overclocking is nothing more than a hobby. You can spend any amount of money you want on your hobby, no need for us to regulate that in ANY way. If you want to spend USD $4000 on a pre-binned CPU ... fine, no problem. Found a good friend that helps you keep the cost down by pre-testing your own CPUs first ... fine, no problem. Found a PC dumpsite with a thousand old VGA cards and you take the time to bench them, great!

In the end, it's just about having fun. The only reason why I get together with the boys from Tones is because they are nice people and it's fun being around sharing a common interest. Just cool to spend an afternoon playing with hardware and if a nice chip comes from it ... even cooler!

To be honest, the OC League is a pretty crazy league to begin with. You gotta have good hardware scores too and the 50p hw rankings are mental sometimes. Lots and lots of kudos to everyone competing in that one ... I'm happy I'm in my safe/easy Pro League :D