HWBOT Community Forums

Members (others) abusing OC League

M.Beier

The more I thought about this topic the more I think Hwbot shouldn't do anything, because the situation right now might be far from being perfect or let use the word "fair", but from a realistic point of view there's no way to change this without causing a lot of trouble and creating new unfairness.

- Why enforce something because of a matter you can't prove (with the possibilities of Hwbot)? Do we really want a community where stalker have to check the Facebook page, twitter messages, forum posts and so on to prove somebody gets "too much stuff" for staying in the Overclockers league?

- Why does it matter if you pay for your 100 CPUs or not as long as you're able to use them and pick the cherries? If you don't have to pay it's for sure an advantage. But if you are able to buy them you have exactly the same advantage plus you can basically afford everything else you need to climb up the ranking and are not dependent from any vendor/shop at all. Welcome back to another "money rules OC-world"-discussion ...

[irony warning]If you still think "Whoa, witch-hunting in this matter is so much needed!" then where do you want to draw the line? Has somebody to join pro league if he gets ten CPUs donated (e.g. from a relative)? Are 10 pieces fine and 20 are too much? Do people have to send their invoices to Hwbot every week or is one time per month enough? Of course not - it should be mandatory to upload a dozen invoices for every component you used when you upload a result, right? But don't forget: There are loopholes! You can photoshop every invoice you send in. So we need a validation process for sure. Oh, and what do we do with the shop owners that submit results? Maybe your daddy owns a PC shop. Can we trust these invoices? Maybe it's a fake invoice from the very beginning - does the shop even exist and sell the listed items?

Dont worry, I know what you're thinking: Invoices are not reliable and maybe the wrong way to begin with. Hwbot users should send their monthly paycheck instead! Unemployed and a golden sample out of the blue is somehow fishy, don't you agree? Time to call the tax office to get this sorted! Hwbot can create a social league for poor people who souldn't overclock at all, right? Do people have to report back to Hwbot if they inherit some money? ... when you inherit CPUs? Maybe your grandma had a golden one in her money sock - that would be killer hardware you didn't pay for, right? :eek: (Cool signature line and meme template: "Grandma made me pro!") Can Hwbot afford to hire a nitpicker to check this? Maybe we're lucky an someone stops overclocking to watch all these exciting invoices and paychecks in his freetime. Shouldn't he visit Hwbot users from time to time at home - unannounced of course - and search the closets for hidden, dirty and unpaid CPUs? Maybe we can smuggle the same guy into the CPU mafia to prepare a great bust after he brought us global peace at the weekend, too.[/irony warning]

Edited by Hyperhorn

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But If somebody will move my account in Pro OC league I'll be most poor pro OC )))

I dont know why guys from local store help me... I think it is called friendchip )

You'd be ranked 11th in pro OC. :) I know a few guys in pro OC who are fairly poor, and who have only done LN2 a couple times... You wouldn't be most poor (in skill or money, certainly not in connections). :)

I don't care what you do, just stating the obvious.

I tested this CPU whole year. But If somebody will move my account in Pro OC league I'll be most poor pro OC )))

I dont know why guys from local store help me... I think it is called friendchip )

Find a little better CPU and I'll make you a rich man by buying your golden CPU :P

Maybe 20 ?

So, I bin 20 the first time, then 20 the second time, then 20 the next time. That's okay?

Or I get them to make an invoice that I paid for the 20 and then give me a credit note when I return the chips 7 days later.

Can I bin 20 3770Ks and 20 3570Ks, or is that 40 in total?

What if I can check the ASIC quality of the graphics cards when the assembled PC is being tested for stability? Only check 20 max?

What If I test 19 for free, then buy 1, then test 19 again ... does my pro-counter reset?

Can I bin 19x 2500K, then 19x 3930K, then 19x 3570K and still not join Pro League?

What if I bin all 100 chips, but don't ever post with them on HWBOT and only sell them to my friends (who then use them for hwbot)? Should I be Pro at 0 points?

What if, and just playing devil's advocate here, what if I flew to Andre's house and made off with his binned CPUs? I didn't pay for them, but I didn't bin a bunch of CPUs from some random retailer that likes me either. Would that make me stay pro? Would it add one more post to this thread? Will it make massman pull his hair out in frustration? Will Marc start a thread at XS? What's the meaning of life?

Oh, right...42. Scratch that last one.

join my club :P

you back in the US of A Bill ?

Nope, getting some stuff ready before I move to a new place in the sunny & always summery Florida in July.

So, I bin 20 the first time, then 20 the second time, then 20 the next time. That's okay?

Perhaps you didn't get what I said.

Re-read the post... or just read this one.

I was referring to the number of overclockers out there who have a connection with a shop or distributor who allows them to try out several chips before finally purchasing the best one.

Not how many chips you test.

Oh.

So it's okay to buy 30k worth of 3770K chips and then get a credit note of 29.7k and pay €300 for the best one?

//edit: not trying to be an ass here; just pointing out your rule has a 'paperwork'-loophole.

That's not ok as well, but is there such a place where you can do that ?

Oh.

So it's okay to buy 30k worth of 3770K chips and then get a credit note of 29.7k and pay €300 for the best one?

//edit: not trying to be an ass here; just pointing out your rule has a 'paperwork'-loophole.

Then, what is the real criteria for being "forced" to enter the pro league? Must be something as simple as "yes/no" with NO exceptions whatsoever, then by your latest arguments:) receiving HW support from a vendor is a yes/no thing, but then we either allow ALL vendor support, or nothing at all in the OC league (that is, receiving one cpu equals receiving 1000). So basically, any guy working for a vendor could still be in the oc league as long as this person does not submit scores using engineering samples. Receving a paycheck from a vendor is not a good argument to force anyone go pro, a paycheck doesn't have anything to do with benching hardware.

Then, what is the real criteria for being "forced" to enter the pro league? Must be something as simple as "yes/no" with NO exceptions whatsoever, then by your latest arguments:) receiving HW support from a vendor is a yes/no thing, but then we either allow ALL vendor support, or nothing at all in the OC league (that is, receiving one cpu equals receiving 1000). So basically, any guy working for a vendor could still be in the oc league as long as this person does not submit scores using engineering samples. Receving a paycheck from a vendor is not a good argument to force anyone go pro, a paycheck doesn't have anything to do with benching hardware.

To sum up the thread, aside from a few buttheads posting bullshit (it is the internet after all)

Pro League, was souly made to prevent vendors in interfearing with regular league officially, seeding is still accepted though - the original official reason for creating it, turned out to be false, a lie... Or it could be that standpoint has changed since then, maybe interest conflict...

EDIT: Sorry if I neglected a few posts that were actually important, didnt bother reading all, too much OT crap.

I thought the OC League was created to give people the opportunity to opt out. Previously, "pros" had no choice but to be in OC league because thats all there was. Now there is a choice, and I think that is an improvement.

I think sometimes people lose sight of that, or otherwise create a fallacy that the leagues were intended to be an ideal system... I always thought it was intended as a less flawed system.

For lack of a better solution (I haven't read any suggestions I perceive as an improvement yet) I think this one works well. A few people with extreme advantages still in the OC league don't ruin my fun. I prefer everyone has a choice, because I would like to have a choice too.

Benching ES on the latest gen is a yes/no, I think? I know I didn't buy ES for two reasons - didn't want to be forced pro, and its sort of illegal.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

I thought the OC League was created to give people the opportunity to opt out. Previously, "pros" had no choice but to be in OC league because thats all there was. Now there is a choice, and I think that is an improvement.

I think sometimes people lose sight of that, or otherwise create a fallacy that the leagues were intended to be an ideal system... I always thought it was intended as a less flawed system.

For lack of a better solution (I haven't read any suggestions I perceive as an improvement yet) I think this one works well. A few people with extreme advantages still in the OC league don't ruin my fun. I prefer everyone has a choice, because I would like to have a choice too.

Benching ES on the latest gen is a yes/no, I think? I know I didn't buy ES for two reasons - didn't want to be forced pro, and its sort of illegal.

Yes, that's a yes/no question, and I support the decision to force the people who use ES to go pro (if the user doesn't disable points for those submissions of course, then it's still OK).

There are three main arguments to move or get moved to the Pro League:

1) You work for a hardware vendor (cpu/mb/vga/...)-

2) You get an excessive amount of hardware support

3) Using ES

I'm not going to expand on the why's for every point, but essentially the Pro League all comes down to getting the super-sponsored out of the regular league as it was upsetting some people.

Now, go you have to be moved to Pro if you get a piece of hardware once in a while? No. Getting a free mainboard will not help you get any better in the rankings. Am I actively searching for vendor reps in the +1000 ranks of the OCL? No. There might be some vendor reps still in the OCL, but highly inactive so it doesn't matter.

You guys are taking this thread way too seriously. And it's me(!) who's saying that. There is no real "pro-circuit" in overclocking; maybe 5 people in the world are actually getting paid to do overclocking and of those 5, none are getting paid to do well in the HWBOT League. There are now 70 people in the Pro League ...

To be honest, I prefer regular guys getting in touch with stores to find their golden CPU than paying a rediculous amount of cash for one that has been pre-binned. Not only does it keep the cost down, but it helps spreading the sweetness that is overclock AND is a chance for new friendchips.