HWBOT Community Forums

The official MSI MOA EMEA 2012 thread.

Massman

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only windows NT allowed ;)

Im curious about you guys sharing all the same 2 boards. What are the logistics? is there a coin flip to see who gets to use it first? what if it dies? :x Would be sad if some people didnt not even get a score because of hardware failure early on.

The last time I really competed in this, I made extremely last minute plans to bench with Mike...bought tickets something like 2-3 days before the contest end to fly over to his place the next morning. It's not such a joke when you live in a country that's roughly the size as the continent of Europe itself :P and isn't that uncommon for ocers in the states and the Aussies as well I think.

He had the cards, I had the chips (probably about 4 or 5 that were good enough to qualify) and we both had boards. We almost toying around with the idea then of either setting up a pair of systems or swapping cards out to make two qualifying submissions instead of one, but we both felt that it seemed a little dishonest and just made a single submission as a team. We could've taken it to a further extreme and had another rig for Fugger who was playing battlefield 3 in the same room while we were benching, and theoretically monopolized the whole NA qualifier with one bench session, which honestly sounds quite a bit like what you guys are aiming to do. It doesn't break any explicit rules, but it's something that doesn't sit well with me. Everyone at least not reusing the same board might not effect scores, but it'd force you each to obtain your own as anyone else wanting to compete. You guys are already going to have enough an advantage just from having so many people around versus someone trying to tackle it solo. My two cents...

Hear what you are saying Gatman,

Though in this case, I don't feel dishonest at all.

I'm spending a boat load of time and money testing hardware and settings here on my own. And I'd point out we are using our own CPU and our own GPU, which is not the same as what you were thinking about doing.

This comp (for the most part) is about getting the video card clocks as high as you can, with the right setting for 3D (2D counts for alot less)

And I know the others are doing the same.

For me, I cant even buy a board, there are none for sale. So god knows what MSI/HWbot thinks I can do about that

So poping over to Syndey where the ln2 costs alot less and I can use all my per tested hardware (really only the video card that matters for 3D 11) in a Motherboard I cant even buy here, makes a lot of sense, well to me anyhow.

I have taken part in every MOA/GOOC that they have let Kiwi's enter, and would have liked to have done the same again under my own name.

For everyone

As I understand it (but could be a little off) only James and I are short on Socket 2011 Mobo's. So he is/was going to use Jono's in Perth, where I was going to use Carls in Sydney. **Note that Jono wont be in Sydney and I wont be in Perth, and if you don't know Oz, look on a map, they are a long, long way apart.

Even though we are not all on the same hwbot team, we like to meet up at events down here, have some beers, bench and help each other out where we can. And at all of those meet up's over the past few years, We have always been up front about it (hard not to be when we talk about it as much as we do) and never have scores been posted that even looked like they came from the same rig.

I can see from the last heats, this whole on line thing here is going to be one big drama, no matter if I do everything right and up front.

Time to move on with my day, and just help out the guys that were able to buy a motherboard.

Edited by Deanzo

Like what Splave has done just to get a lightning 7970. He had to purchase one from outside the country. Was it Germany?

Like rbuass "claims" he had to go to miami. lol

I suggest you guys looking into the american market for socket 2011 motherboards. there are some msi 2011 boards on newegg.

Fedex shipping is only 400$. im sure you'll get it before next weekend.

USPS express mail(3-5days) with motherboard only is 75$ only.

Edited by Hondacity

Ok, my mistake, it was sounding at first like all of you were planning to bench under one roof and effectively have a score factory churning out results for this contest.

Of course I'm all for group bench sessions (as long as they lack any nekkid photoshoots...), hell...personally I barely give a rat's ass about hardware sharing. Passing good cpu's and gpu's around wasn't at all unheard of in the pre-hwbot days. It's just that one has to be on their toes when it comes to a contest where the grand prize is worth upwards of a couple grand, and every iteration of it has had plenty of drama.

But looks like I got your plans wrong anyways...and yes I did just open up Australia on google maps horrormovie.gif

You guys know I <3 you all

Like what Splave has done just to get a lightning 7970. He had to purchase one from outside the country. Was it Germany?

Like rbuass "claims" he had to go to miami. lol

I suggest you guys looking into the american market for socket 2011 motherboards. there are some msi 2011 boards on newegg.

Fedex shipping is only 400$. im sure you'll get it before next weekend.

USPS express mail(3-5days) with motherboard only is 75$ only.

Somewhat pointless to even try and reply to that, as some will only see what they want.

But I'll try...

As I have already said.

Using the same motherboard was well with in the rules (till it was changed the other day) as it is for all benching here at the bot.

So I have booked flights already, that money is spent, I can't get it back. So I was somewhat upset I had wasted my money on a rule change.

And think it's somewhat unfair I'd have to spend even more money when everything I had set up was well with in the rules, untill they were changed.

Not sure what part of that you can't understand.

Newegg, Frys etc etc

Do not ship overseas, so no I can't order from them.

I could have a friend order it for me, then on ship.

Price of the board $$$

Wire him the money add $25 for that.

Shipping $65 or soo

GST (import tax) 15% of the price of the board + shipping

Customs fee $25

No, I don't think thats ok after I have already paid for flights, doing something that is well with in the rules, again untill they were changed. And these rules have been in place for a long time at the bot. So it is fair that I didn't think anything was going to change after the heats were started.

As I said at the bottom of my last post, even though massman has now said I can use Carls mobo, some here will still look for drama and get all worked up about it.

To me, your post makes this point.

Edited by Deanzo

I think anything is just about the onesty of any single guy ......

anybody here discussing about motherboard ??

Who can say in this online comeptition if I share cpu or VGA wiht same ther guy ?

What about if anybody of us (me and my firends) have his own mobos, cpu and vga ?

Than we meet for a week end, we bin the golden cpu, golden vga and then, we use same cpu and vga to produce the score ? Just banching with 5...10 Mhz difference ? and than, we post pictures with 3 mobos, 3 vga (or maybe 5) 3 cpu (or maybe 5).

Who can say we used the same CPU ??

Came one guys, again, this is just about the honesty of any single guy ...nobody can demonstrate hardware sharing in the online competition.....

Somewhat pointless to even try and reply to that, as some will only see what they want.

But I'll try...

As I have already said.

Using the same motherboard was well with in the rules (till it was changed the other day) as it is for all benching here at the bot.

So I have booked flights already, that money is spent, I can't get it back. So I was somewhat upset I had wasted my money on a rule change.

And think it's somewhat unfair I'd have to spend even more money when everything I had set up was well with in the rules, untill they were changed.

Not sure what part of that you can't understand.

Newegg, Frys etc etc

Do not ship overseas, so no I can't order from them.

I could have a friend order it for me, then on ship.

Price of the board $$$

Wire him the money add $25 for that.

Shipping $65 or soo

GST (import tax) 15% of the price of the board + shipping

Customs fee $25

No, I don't think thats ok after I have already paid for flights, doing something that is well with in the rules, again untill they were changed. And these rules have been in place for a long time at the bot. So it is fair that I didn't think anything was going to change after the heats were started.

As I said at the bottom of my last post, even though massman has now said I can use Carls mobo, some here will still look for drama and get all worked up about it.

To me, your post makes this point.

I thought that I read massman telling that MOBO sharing was allowed back again a few pages ago... So you can go and have fun!! =) (I guess)

My first lightning was bought at ebay from a store in US as well. Paid $620 on the VGA plus $90 on FEDEX shipping and more $500 to the store to pay import duties so I could receive it in three days without any risk of customs keeping it. So $1210 as it would cost in retail here.

Just to compare, I needed to get two x79 during competition, I could get here in Brazilian stores, (I made it get sold out here, since just these two stores held one each), I paid about $900 at the first one and $850 on the second that was on sale. (I tried to find links to show you but it is still sold out). I needed to get a loan at the bank to buy the hardware... =(

MOA was not cheap this year, so as your rule allow to do it that way you should participate and complain! maybe two online contests instead of just one, with they providing the hardware for the second round where the finalists would be the winners could easy things. A regional qualifier split into some different hardware requirements like in the past. I don't know, just suggesting...

All qualifiers at the same time could be nice as well...

back on track, you can share boards now...back to more postive talk! Looking forward to some crazy scores. ALOT of talent in EMEA bracket thats why they take top 5!

We haz si ELMOR, but he isnt competing, MSI staff.

Good luck with the binning everyone.

If anyone that has binned less than 30 CPU's make it to top5, I'll be impressed.

Though ofcourse since you guys are being honest we/I should not be asking any noobish questions but benching together for a competition where is the test of skills in there???? Only 1 guy needs to figure out the settings, tweaks, mobo behavior (these can be shared online as well, but not everything can be passed on online) and everyone else will have to figure out just their individual CPU and GPU quirks (but then thats not a biggie I guess)

Ah well, Not that I can blame you guys, you have the option, sadly in India no1 else is playing LN2, :(

Good people!

I see so much confusion because of shared hardware ... I do not have these problems, I am here alone in Portugal, I had to buy two msi board and one 7970 (for that i need to sale some stuf´s) for this and so if I can get the first 5, which I think impossible, I don´t have teammate to take, not to mention that as usual I will bench alone in a room...

So do not be always complaining, benching with a quiet conscience....

Good luck to all!! :)