HWBOT Community Forums

LGA1156 Clarkdale COLDBUG modifications!!

Massman

Dear All

many overclockers were complaining coldbug boot issue during MSI Elite OC Summit. So after summit, our R&D guys work day and night, try to find out a solution.

And guess what, we found it!

here is official coldbug fix for MSI P55-GD80, Trinergy and Fuzion. Anyone happens to have these boards, please try out and feedback to us!

MSI P55-GD80 (back side)

4295115256_684b639cfb_o.png

MSI Big Bang Trinergy and Fuzion (front side)

4294371095_ae25378ca6_o.png

(http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4209697#post4209697)

SO nice to see MSI pick up on request so fast. I hear they are also working on the vcore issue. Great, awesome, Super-dooper!!

I wonder wthat that mod actually does... But cool to see a manufactuerer giving away mods:D

After I show this on internet, guess it is not secret anymore. It has nothing to do with temperature sensor of CPU, we guess it's some kind of PCI-E signal become too weak under extreme low temperature, so we have to amplify it. (Doesn't make sense at all, really, but it works.)

Interesting. Can the same technique be applied to X58 boards?

Not sure but if I can make a guess with my limited knowledge about the technology behind it in deep: As importants parts for PCI-E (lanes) are inside CPU in 1156 and in 1366 not I see low chances for this mod to be working for X58. This is a problem introduced by P55 technology and only appears with that. Maybe I am wrong though ;)

And according to my tests with 32nm 1366 until now (and now means -102°C) there are no similar problems with it and cold on today's boards :celebration:

Okay, I couldn't wait for Hicookie to return from his biz trip, so did some quick reverse engineering. Here's the modification for the GA-H55M-UD2H and the socket pin it's connected to. Normally, the resistance of this pin is ~ 750ohm. Connect to GND means it'll be 0ohm. Just trace back to resistor and remove the resistor and connect both points, or just solder over the resistor. Should actually work on any board ... but I'm not responsible if this turns out incorrect.

Anyway, just did the mod and I can boot up at -130°C no problem now. Same 661 as I'm using with the Trinergy.

Works for me, but if you're not comfortable trying this out yourself wait for Hicookie's confirmation!

mod.jpg

If I understood MSI correctly, the problem with the Vcore cannot be fixed with a bios update. Hardmods are thus required. Just FB to GND will work fine.

Can someone provide me feedback on stability with this modification? I've just tested the Gigabyte board with the same modification and I get the same kind of instability in SPI 1M (230MHz BCLK max).

If I understood MSI correctly, the problem with the Vcore cannot be fixed with a bios update. Hardmods are thus required. Just FB to GND will work fine.

Can someone provide me feedback on stability with this modification? I've just tested the Gigabyte board with the same modification and I get the same kind of instability in SPI 1M (230MHz BCLK max).

gd85 vcore mod

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=71905#post71905

just uploading the vid to utube for the cb mod on the gd 85

:)